ZF 4HP22 to M60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZF 4HP22 to M60

Car isn't an E30 but you guys definitely have the most V8 knowledge out there. I want to adapt the ZF 4HP22 to fit onto an M60 and I see that PMC makes an adapter designed for an M2x\5x manual -> V8. what would stop me from using it with the automatic, I've never seen an M20 bellhousing of any kind before?

Auto: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=24_0499

Manual: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=23_1101

Adapter: https://pmcmotorsport.eu/product-eng...M3-E36-M3.html

thanks
    Last edited by 32valve; 04-06-2020, 10:20 AM.

You can disconnect the automatic bellhousing from the ZF 4HP-22. So, it can be used with different engines.
    Can the 5HP-24 (which was used with the M60) bellhousing be bolted to the 4HP-22?

That adapter plate adds a few cm between an engine and transmission. People have to use custom flywheels with manual transmissions.

Frankly speaking, why would you do that? The ZF 5HP-24 is an improved version. There is no need to make a custom drive shaft, transmission braces, etc.
    Even if you buy a used one from Ebay and rebuild it, it'll be cheaper.

Here is the ZF 4HP-22 M20 bellhousing.

Here is the 5HP-24 M60 bellhousing.

Last edited by Vincenze; 04-06-2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

custom flywheel wouldn’t be the end of the world

it appears the 5hp24 (red) used in the M62 actually has a removable bellhousing while the 18 and 30 do not.
      Last edited by 32valve; 04-06-2020, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 32valve View Post
        custom flywheel wouldn’t be the end of the world

it appears the 5hp24 actually has a removable bellhousing, while the 18 and 30 do not.
        The 4HP-22 is also shorter as it has 4 speeds.
        You'll need a new longer drive shaft.

It seems that somebody cut out the center of the bellhousing with holes and welded in a new center with different hole positions.

Comment

the vehicle is a land rover with an existing 4HP22H and transfer case. the swap has been done with an M70 but that has a direct fit bellhousing/pump combo.

the cutting and welding in that was done to counter the m20’s offset and allow an S52 to bolt into the 4hp22 non-crooked. they have the same bellhousing pattern
          Last edited by 32valve; 04-06-2020, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 32valve View Post
            the vehicle is a land rover with an existing 4HP22H and transfer case. the swap has been done with an M70 but that has a direct fit bellhousing/pump combo.

the cutting and welding in that was done to counter the m20’s offset and allow an S52 to bolt into the 4hp22 non-crooked. they have the same bellhousing pattern
            I don't understand why you wouldn't just buy a used 5HP with all electronics from a junk yard.
            Then you can buy a rebuild kit.
            It'll be much cheaper.

https://www.bmw-all-parts.com/dd-bmw...isted-vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post

I don't understand why you wouldn't just buy a used 5HP with all electronics from a junk yard.
              Then you can buy a rebuild kit.
              It'll be much cheaper.

https://www.bmw-all-parts.com/dd-bmw...isted-vehicles
              this isn’t a simple rwd setup where i can weld in some mounts get a custom driveshaft and go. this a 4x4 with a transfer case that bolts to the back of 4hp tailshaft. fabricating an adapter for the 5hp adds cost and complexity.

mechanical dumb box + 404 manual ecu is the idea. i just need to figure out how to hack up a bellhousing for it to work.

Last edited by 32valve; 04-06-2020, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Do the landrover 4HP22Hs have any upgraded parts inside? I know E30 4HP22s are weak sauce. I have a client with a Turbo E30 convertible who is on his third now, at 11psi of boost, and he barely drives the thing and isn't the type to do neutral drops and stuff. I'm guessing his M20 makes M60 torque on 11psi, wouldn't surprise me if a used E30 transmission would die behind your M60.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                  Do the landrover 4HP22Hs have any upgraded parts inside? I know E30 4HP22s are weak sauce. I have a client with a Turbo E30 convertible who is on his third now, at 11psi of boost, and he barely drives the thing and isn't the type to do neutral drops and stuff. I'm guessing his M20 makes M60 torque on 11psi, wouldn't surprise me if a used E30 transmission would die behind your M60.
                  they’re ok. the largest factory V8 with the 4HP22 is a 4.2L that puts out about 250 lb/ft. people swap later engines like 4.6 and those do fine. plan is a B30 with the M62TU intake for low down accessible torque so not a huge deal.

i don’t know if trying the m50->m60 adapter with the m20 bellhousing on the LR transmission would be a viable option. the m20 and m50 have the same bolt pattern but different slants. slapping an extra large torque converter or flexplate is probably mandatory because of the extra thickness.

i know the V12 and V8 bolt patterns are kind of similar, but there’s only a V8->V12 adapter and not the other way around. making a custom oil pan for the M70 instead of all this BS is looking tempting
                  Last edited by 32valve; 04-08-2020, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X