EVAP Smoke Tester Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EVAP Smoke Tester Recommendation

I really need to get a smoke tester to help diagnose some rough running. I'm past the days of spraying carb cleaner around the engine bay to find leaks.

I have notice there are two main types: 1) Requires an air compressor, 2) Internal Air Compressor.

The internal seems more convenient, but they all output 15-17 PSI, which is WAY too much for an NA intake system. The external compressors tend to be regulated down to 0.5-1.0 PSI, which is sufficient to test anything without breaking something, but a hassle to pull out an air compressor.

I also require a flow gauge to know when I've found all of the leaks.

In the past I've used a Redline Smoke Pro at a shop, but $870 is WAY too much cash for a hobbyist. It also requires an external compressor. Autoline Pro makes a machine for $130 with a built in compressor ay 0.5 PSI, but no flow gauge. I know I can add one on, but I'd prefer it to be built in.

It would be awesome to get an internal compressor with independently adjustable flow and pressure. At minimum, a built in compressor in the 0.5-1 PSI range with a flow gauge. Does anyone make something like that for less than $300?​
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

just build one. there's piles of diys. some use a bike or small hand pump to provide the pressure. very little is needed.

Comment

Wouldn't it be fairly easy to choke down 15-17 PSI down to whatever you want it at?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I can vouch for this one, but yes no gauge. It’s easy to use, produces thick smoke, only con is that it will stink up your garage like burnt mineral oil for a few day after use. Even after that, you can still smell the device from like 5 feet away. I’d suggest storing it in a ziplock when not in use, unless you’re into the smell.
        89’ 325i Coupe Schwarz
        89’ 325i Cabrio Alpine Weiss II
        90’ 325is Schwarz

Comment

I have the Autoline Pro you mentioned. I like it, it worked for me. I didn't see a need for a flow meter/gauge.

Currently building a badass coffee table
          Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

I built one, then used a propane grille regulator to drop the pressure down to like 1psi.
            1991 318is ---230K - DD
            1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
            so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

I bought this one off of Amazon and it does exactly what it should. It has a built in regulator and no flow guage but it does have a valve so you can control smoke volume. I don't see why you'd need anything more Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1842.png
Views:	98
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	10095011
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I built one using an old solder gun, rag, mineral oil, and a hand pump.

Comment

Working...
                X