Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reason to get a new key cut at a dealership?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any reason to get a new key cut at a dealership?

I bought a new key blank for my 1989 325i and for some reason my brother was telling me that I ought to get it made at the dealership, otherwise it might not work. I think he's crazy, but I thought I'd ask and see if there was any validity to it.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well first you have to make sure the locks have never been changed. If you're sure they haven't, then you won't get a better key than the dealer keys. This is because if you buy a blank, you are at the mercy of the locksmith's skills and he will cut it to mimic your old worn key which isn't ideal. It could work the first time, sometimes or not at all, then you'll have to use the trial and error method. Then there's also the fact that many places won't want to bother trying to cut a real BMW blank out of fear the metal shank might be too hard for their machine.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

For what its worth I paid $7 for a locksmith to copy my probably worn out key and it works perfectly. 1985 323i.

Comment

I've tried both routes.

IMHO, there's no substitute for a new dealer cut key. It's steel (versus many aftermarket blanks which may be brass), there's no wear or strange marks that get copied over, and it just works better. And you can be a real baller and order the one with the light!

A new key and liberal application of powered graphite in the locks will definitely make your day.

The E30 collection:
        1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
        1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
        1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
        1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
        1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
        1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
        1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
        2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
        2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

I got my key copied for free at my local Ace hardware store. They refused to charge me.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
            you won't get a better key than the dealer keys.

Originally posted by 101 View Post
            IMHO, there's no substitute for a new dealer cut key. It's steel (versus many aftermarket blanks which may be brass), there's no wear or strange marks that get copied over, and it just works better. And you can be a real baller and order the one with the light!
            These.
            Originally posted by kronus
            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I've explored all the routes and been through it all before. The hardware stores only cut soft brass keys. I noticed over time those keys (Ace hardware, ebay copies) started deforming with every twist and I don't even use my keys to lock/unlock as I have keyless entry on all my cars. When I noticed the brass keys deforming I ordered keys from the dealer and kept the others as back ups. It's a lot more expensive but at least I can rest assured I got the best keys and I wanted original lighted keys anyway.

Last edited by reelizmpro; 03-08-2017, 12:17 PM.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by 101 View Post
                ?....liberal application of powered graphite in the locks will definitely make your day.
                Actually graphite can cause more harm than good over time. The very best...and really the only thing to ever put in a lock is....are you ready....Houdini Oil. It's the "locksmiths best friend" and is as cheap as borscht. Buy a can for $7 and it lasts so long you will pass it on to your grand kids.
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                Alice the Time Capsule
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                  Actually graphite can cause more harm than good over time. The very best...and really the only thing to ever put in a lock is....are you ready....Houdini Oil. It's the "locksmiths best friend" and is as cheap as borscht. Buy a can for $7 and it lasts so long you will pass it on to your grand kids.

And who doesn't want to have something called "Houdini Oil" in your armamentarium?

Appreciate the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Armamentarium. I like that word. Thanks.
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

I bought a master blank and then had a hardware store cut it.
                      Barely worked.

Ended up going to a dealer and spending about $35 on a VIN cut key. They gave me a valet key and a new regular key which work perfectly.
                      For the few extra dollars, it is well worth going through the dealer.

Comment

Wow I wish the dealer I got new keys made at only charged $35! I paid between $100 and $175 (with next-day shipping when I broke my backup key in the door after losing my main key).

Comment

Working...
                        X