Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditto

Originally posted by AC_Schnitzel View Post
    Congratulations. I’m so happy for you. This has been the best build thread on any Internet forum I’ve ever read.

What are your plans for the car now?
    Hands down the best!

Comment

Which a/c compressor were you trying to install with the newer style bracket? I just ordered one so I can install a later style Seiko compressor from an 91 325i. This bracket also fits the M10B18 block for 84 318i.

Comment

Hard to believe its been 5 years, I remember when you picked this up. Things sure escalated from your initial plans, and in the best way.

Enjoy the car man, you deserve it. Thank you for documenting everything so beautifully. It will come in handy for many people in the future.
        Current:
        1989 325i
        1988 M3
        1987 325ic
        Past:
        2001 330ci
        2001 M3

Comment

Originally posted by alpinewhite318i View Post
          Which a/c compressor were you trying to install with the newer style bracket? I just ordered one so I can install a later style Seiko compressor from an 91 325i. This bracket also fits the M10B18 block for 84 318i.
          I hate to say it but don’t bother with that new style compressor bracket. Even if you can get the AC lines to line up (which is a job) the top mount is too flimsy. When you tighten the belt down, it shifts the compressor pulley slightly out of alignment and starts to shred the belt. Hard to believe this is actually a BMW part

I finally gave up on it and have gone back to the original AC compressor, which i sent off to be rebuilt (just got it back). Will share more info on that shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by jhaurimn View Post
            Hard to believe its been 5 years, I remember when you picked this up. Things sure escalated from your initial plans, and in the best way.

Enjoy the car man, you deserve it. Thank you for documenting everything so beautifully. It will come in handy for many people in the future.
            Thanks brother. You going to be at the Vintage next year?

Comment

Yes I finally received the newer style compressor bracket via special order Germany. I have been hearing a lot of bad things bad using it, doesn't sound promising! Where did you sent out your compressor to be rebuilt? I might just end up using the old one, it still works but it's loud and causing vibrations!

Comment

First off - WOW what is this new hotness on r3v’s redesign? Looks awesome!

On this:

Originally posted by alpinewhite318i View Post
                Yes I finally received the newer style compressor bracket via special order Germany. I have been hearing a lot of bad things bad using it, doesn't sound promising! Where did you sent out your compressor to be rebuilt? I might just end up using the old one, it still works but it's loud and causing vibrations!
                The new style bracket is trash. I hate to say it but it is. It would need extensive fab work to make it solid. I used a gentleman named Jay Stratton from California - he is very straightforward and hones. Would highly recommend. Here’s his site: http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=28245

The car’s fender is finally fixed (will upload pics shortly). It is getting clear bra on the hood and new fender, ceramic on the glass, a couple other goodies, then should be home this week

Comment

Oh I just purchased some a/c compressor parts from him, he shipped it out quickly!

Comment

The electric rad fan from eBay, was this a used item , or ... ?
                    Oh, and the fuse box decals, are they for sale ?
                    Thanks
                    Last edited by BMG; 09-18-2019, 01:55 AM.

Comment

RE: BMW AC Retrofit bracket.

I ordered 5 of these. All of them were warped and didn't set flush on the block.

I think Blunt is in the works of a bracket for use on an updated compressor.

I maybe going down Jay Stratton route if blunt doesn't get these wrapped up.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

We were in the Stella E30 at the Champ car NCM event watching your alls car burn :(

Glad you all are getting it rolling again.

It was cool seeing the M3 at vintage!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by BMG View Post
                          The electric rad fan from eBay, was this a used item
                          I found an OE branded one (not "genuine BMW") - so far it works well. Still need to straighten out some compressor wiring.

On the fuse decals, I worked with Pukar Designs to design them. I think he can still do them

Comment

Ok we're overdue for an update. Long slow progress, but the car is now done except for figuring out what's off with my compressor wiring (AC compressor kicks on then off quickly)

Anyways, here's the good stuff

Mr Stratton's handiwork...

Back.

Zinc'd all hardware and powdercoated the factory AC bracket

There's no comparison for robustness between the two (new style on the right, now a paperweight). Also notice the 2 &1/2 bolts between the two? Thats the hardware FROM BMW - one bolt cracked in half without me touching it. Not an over-tighten, sheared off bolt, it split while i was driving the car. Thankfully i didnt Loctite it and the threads were all clean - it backed out easily with finger pressure on the shattered edge. I think BMW must have outsourced the production of these things to China or something. The quality is unbelievably bad.

Compressor on and connected.

Had to get back in here to deal with some blower cage rattle and my wipers refusing to turn off. Trimmed a bit on the blower motor housing to give the hamster cages more clearance and the wipers fixed themselves when i unplugged/replugged them.

My paint protection film guys did paint correction on the newly painted hood and fender (both were cured in an oven, so they were good to polish right away), applied the xpel film, ceramic coated the glass, and then took some glamour shots...

Comment

Amazing update, the car looks stunning! I cant believe BMW with that new AC Bracket design, Someone should just recreate the older bracket and sell them.

Comment

Originally posted by CurrusDei View Post

I found an OE branded one (not "genuine BMW") - so far it works well. Still need to straighten out some compressor wiring.

On the fuse decals, I worked with Pukar Designs to design them. I think he can still do them

Cheers. I just checked again and it seems BMW are now selling an electric fan for the M3 again. It was NLA for a long time. Price is 363 Euro

Comment

Working...
                                X