X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hoveringuy
    replied
    I'm going to re-post some info because I think it's valuable:

318ti calipers have a 2mm smaller piston than 325 calipers.

The current state of the art is that in order to use the e36 non-318ti calipers you need to mount them on the opposite side in order to use the stock hose. The bleed nipple is on the bottom and I need to stand on my head whenever I want to bleed the brakes....

Option two. Go to local hydraulic shop and fabricate a couple of hoses for $40 that let me mount the calipers in the proper position so that bleeding doesn't become a hassle. The brake line *may* need to be removed to remove the caliper, but that's it.

Parts used:

(2) BQ4511 Tube Nut 10x1mm x 3/16
    (2) HF02 Fitting-universal ext 3/16 bundy tube
    (2) HFMF05 Fitting- Female 10x1mm European (DPS)
    12" 1/8" brake hose

$40, assembled and pressure tested to 3000psi
    Last edited by hoveringuy; 01-25-2011, 09:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.SWISS
    replied
    Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
    I have to renew the domain, but I gotta wait til my other domain comes up for renewal so I can get the discount.
    Ok can you post the rear setup again so i can get on that yo?

Leave a comment:

• Aptyp
    replied
    I have to renew the domain, but I gotta wait til my other domain comes up for renewal so I can get the discount.

Leave a comment:

• samiam3356
    replied
    not working for me

Leave a comment:

• unloadedak
    replied
    just me or is extra drei down?

Leave a comment:

• matias88e30
    replied
    Awesome write up man! thanks a lot it will be very helpfull for my rear 5 lugset up!

Leave a comment:

• samiam3356
    replied
    Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
    ever got it sorted out? very interested to see what you've come up with.

I'm going to start over from the begining and rebleed the MC and then the brakes again. Going to do it the old fashioned way this time as I've heard people having issues with pressure bleeding. Just need the time to get it done. Thank god I have some extra brake lines to use for bleeding the master. Just going to run them back into the reservoir.

As far as the bigger piston in the rear I'm going to wait until summer time to figure that one out. More than likely I'll be running an adjustable proportioning valve the remedy the issue.

Will let ya know whenever I get done though.
    Last edited by samiam3356; 01-17-2011, 08:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RobE30
    replied
    WOW man! I've been off the board for quite awhile and just checked back to this thread. Fantastic writeup! I now feel much more inclined to finally swap my car to 5 lug and get rid of all the bent shit on my car. Strong work

Leave a comment:

• Aptyp
    replied
    ever got it sorted out? very interested to see what you've come up with.

Leave a comment:

• samiam3356
    replied
    Its going to be a track and street car but more street than track. Also after adding the s52 with plans to go fi in the future the extra room will come in handy.

As far as the bias goes, Lee suggested moving up in piston size on the caliper or adding a proportioning valve to offset the front bias of the larger e36m front brakes.

At this point I think there maybe some other reason as you suggested for the pedal being soft. Thx for the suggestion and putting this thread together.

Leave a comment:

• Aptyp
    replied
    double post? But it's not 5AM...
    Last edited by Aptyp; 01-03-2011, 06:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aptyp
    replied
    If you give me a few days, I am sure I can source a rear caliper and give it a try. BUT I haven't had any reason to doubt my brakes yet. When my ABS sensors weren't connected, I was able to lock-up all 4 without any bias valves.

Why did you remove ABS?

Leave a comment:

• samiam3356
    replied
    Meh, have you tried any of the e34 rear calipers? They have 40mm pistons IIRC and match this setup better.

Interesting that I have to deal with a shit pedal b/c of no ABS. hmmm

Leave a comment:

• Aptyp
    replied
    then yea. without ABS you get that spongy feeling. Check your boosters check valve as well. A lot of people forget to put those back in when doing swaps.

Just calipers from e36 325i. 2mm caliper difference.
    Last edited by Aptyp; 01-03-2011, 05:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• samiam3356
    replied
    ABS Removed and the lines T'd just like the rears. Standard e36 calipers? Any ones you suggest?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X