Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABS Retrofit

Hi everybody ,

I posted this in the touring specific forums but thought it might get more traction here.

I have an 89 320i touring that came without abs and was wondering if any of you have ever retrofitted a working system into a late model. Getting the physical parts and running brake lines wouldn't be an issue for me. But I’m concerned about adding in the abs computer module. Thanks guys !

You can run the mk60 ABS from the e46 M3. The dme is integrated with the unit. It is a big upgrade over stock, but requires some plumbing and wiring. You'll have to decide if its worth the extra work.

Comment

Originally posted by cwlo View Post
      You can run the mk60 ABS from the e46 M3. The dme is integrated with the unit. It is a big upgrade over stock, but requires some plumbing and wiring. You'll have to decide if its worth the extra work.
      This is also what I was going to suggest. It's expensive and complex, but it's supposed to be one of the best standalone ABS modules ever built. A lot of guy put them in race cars even from other makes. You will have to convert to 4 wheel speed sensors to use traction control, which can be a bit of a pain. I plan to do this eventually on my car as a bit of extra insurance on the track.

Comment

I sounds like teves made a race version of the newer mk60e5 dsc, that should be easier to find as all e9x & e8x cars used it. I do not know if there is any hardware differences of all software though.

Comment

Here is the wiring for the MK60 ABS which runs fine standalone. There is one version which the firmware can be modified to your weight, weight bias, tires, etc, only a handful of people can do that. It would be wise to retrofit the Steering sensor and yaw sensor:

Last edited by R3Z3N; 06-15-2021, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnaoshea View Post
            Hi everybody ,

I posted this in the touring specific forums but thought it might get more traction here.

I have an 89 320i touring that came without abs and was wondering if any of you have ever retrofitted a working system into a late model. Getting the physical parts and running brake lines wouldn't be an issue for me. But I’m concerned about adding in the abs computer module. Thanks guys !
            Did you end up doing this?

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
              Here is the wiring for the MK60 ABS which runs fine standalone. There is one version which the firmware can be modified to your weight, weight bias, tires, etc, only a handful of people can do that. It would be wise to retrofit the Steering sensor and yaw sensor:
              could you reupload this? The attachment seems to have been lost
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Fixed my post, wiring now directly linked to my host.

Comment

Holy shit, this is awesome. Expensive and not exactly "first DIY adventure" status, but pretty damn awesome.

What sort of cost is someone looking at, all-in, for the parts and materials (assuming clean eBay parts where appropriate)?

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
                    Fixed my post, wiring now directly linked to my host.
                    Thank you very much, writeup looks very good
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I had planned on doing the conversion, but ended up selling my S54 build on BAT. I was in talks with Andrew Lidell of the writeup I posted, and he can modify the steering column so that the steering angle sensor is integrated when also using the DSC Speed Yaw/Accelerometer Sensor. Doing so will get you stability control as well as epic ABS.

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post

Did you end up doing this?
                        No, I still want to eventually but the car had bigger issues than lack of abs - mainly rust and a dying engine. I did end up buying all the abs bits from another e30, putting that in for the time being.

Comment

Working...
                        X