Subframe bushing removal

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vincenze
    replied
    Originally posted by twright
    Can you drop the whole subframe while on jackstands? Or does it take a lift and and a transmission jack?
    It's super dangerous with all components installed like in the photo above.

    The differential weighs a ton, and it can be unmounted independently.
    The brake rotors are also heavy.

    Leave a comment:


  • twright
    replied
    Can you drop the whole subframe while on jackstands? Or does it take a lift and and a transmission jack?

    Leave a comment:


  • mlytle
    replied
    dozens of threads on ways to do this...... it just ain't that hard, or toxic.



    it is also easier to drop the entire subframe as one unit than take it apart.

    Last edited by mlytle; 01-11-2021, 05:09 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • jeffnhiscars
    replied
    I think there are pics in my build thread but from memory, I used a combination of a puller with the ears ground shorter and threaded rod. I preloaded the bearing then gently heated the outer case of the subframe and the bushing just kind of slithered out :)

    Leave a comment:


  • E30SPDFRK
    replied
    Heat the subframe around the bushing before using the extractor tools. Not too much, just until you see the bushing start smoking. It breaks the bond between the rubber outside of the bushing and the subframe enough that they usually just slide out like nothing, but not too much to where you're left with a bunch of sticky melted rubber inside the subframe.

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    It seems that constant force, rather than impact is what's normally needed to free a bushing.

    Leave a comment:


  • twright
    replied
    Maybe a better way of doing this is a combination of methods: Loosen the bushings from the frame by threading a lag bolt into the bushing from below and then beating on it from above. Once the subframe is loose from the frame, it would be real easy to use his method to pull the bushings out without dropping the subframe.

    Leave a comment:


  • finnmole
    replied
    I like his videos a lot but that wouldn't of worked on mine on one side.
    It is a lot of work to drop the exhaust, drive shaft etc. I ended up removing the half shafts and then the diff but i needed to replace the splitter for the rear brakes and the short brake lines up high.
    No way to get at those or the trailing arm bushings either.

    BTW, that differential weighs a ton

    Leave a comment:


  • twright
    replied
    That was a good video. Unfortunately, his method isn't very easy. I'll bet it took him forever to do that.

    Leave a comment:


  • SD-KC
    replied
    Here is a good video of a subframe bushing removal. There has to be a better way to link YouTube but I'm on mobile so hopefully this link works.

    This video series is great. I'm not a certified mechanic but it seems his methods are sound.



    Leave a comment:


  • tyeler18
    replied
    Originally posted by twright

    Was this on a lift? I don't think I can get my sawzall under my jackstand lifted car to use it.
    Yes I did do this on a lift, but I also have a small milwaukee cordless sawzall which fits in tight places easily.

    Leave a comment:


  • twright
    replied
    Originally posted by tyeler18
    I did it in the car without the tool. Drill/cut the rubber enough to get a sawzall in and cut from the center outward until you're through the outer layer. 2 cuts like that and I was able to just hammer them out with an air chisel easily. Didn't have to drop anything out of the car. I installed condor delrin bushings though, OE bushings might be a pain to press in.
    Was this on a lift? I don't think I can get my sawzall under my jackstand lifted car to use it.

    Leave a comment:


  • tyeler18
    replied
    I did it in the car without the tool. Drill/cut the rubber enough to get a sawzall in and cut from the center outward until you're through the outer layer. 2 cuts like that and I was able to just hammer them out with an air chisel easily. Didn't have to drop anything out of the car. I installed condor delrin bushings though, OE bushings might be a pain to press in.

    Leave a comment:


  • twright
    replied
    Originally posted by Vincenze
    Does the jack method work?


    This might actually work. I'll have to give it a try on my next project.

    Has anyone else tried this?


    It sure would be easier that taking out the exhaust, differential and subframe.

    Leave a comment:


  • finnmole
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	tiki torches.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	9966705 I found burning them off to be very easy. To get the metal shells off...i used a sawzall to carefully cut a slit, then it just pried off very easily.
    I tried using a bottle jack at first to push the bushing out...it just bulged out like almost half way but wouldn't budge...like glued in there. The burn method worked great. To get the new ones in; i used the bottle jack, a little soapy water and a touch of heat
    (think a press but upside down)

    Leave a comment:

Working...