Subframe bushing removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mlytle View Post
    dozens of threads on ways to do this...... it just ain't that hard, or toxic.

it is also easier to drop the entire subframe as one unit than take it apart.
    I am planning this job in the spring. I like what you did here dropping the entire assembly onto a rolling cart. Any idea of the weight of the entire subframe assembly? This cart looks decent, rated for 660lbs.

89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
    1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

That cart should be fine if the handle folds backwards too, but you'll probably want some way to get a jack under the assy, which may be difficult with that setup. Personally I just put a jack under the diff and let it down until it flops on one side. If you do that you should put some wood down on the floor, and be prepared for a little bending of the backing plates.

Comment

I found that a jack was the best way for me to do it. If you're planning on replacing the brake backing plates (there's likely rust around the e-brake shoe retaining pins), you don't have to worry about bending them. You kind of have to estimate where on the diff to place the jack so the subframe doesn't fall off-- some wood is a good idea to help steady it. Make sure everything is disconnected before it drops! When you re-install using the jack it'll be easier. Off the car, you'll be able to play with positioning and get the whole thing set up nice and straight on the jack saddle for an easy install. Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
        (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by E30andy View Post

I am planning this job in the spring. I like what you did here dropping the entire assembly onto a rolling cart. Any idea of the weight of the entire subframe assembly? This cart looks decent, rated for 660lbs.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...8589_200748589
          the cart was just for moving around and working on it. i have a lift, so used a tall trans jack to lower the subframe. subframe assembly probably weights 200lbs. when i didn't have a lift, just used a floor jack or short trans jack. have done a half dozen e30 rear subframe complete rehabs. three in the last year.

Last edited by mlytle; 01-18-2021, 06:53 PM.

Comment

having a way to jack the car up in the back without using the subframe is handy too... note metal lift adapters

Comment

the cart was just for moving around and working on it. i have a lift, so used a tall trans jack to lower the subframe. subframe assembly probably weights 200lbs. when i didn't have a lift, just used a floor jack or short trans jack. have done a half dozen e30 rear subframe complete rehabs. three in the last year.

Thinking about putting a lift in my garage prior to doing this job. What lift are you using?
              1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Thinking about putting a lift in my garage prior to doing this job. What lift are you using?
                I have two BendPak lifts. the two post in pic for the working area and a 4 post for car storage in the other bay. zero issues in 5 years. the two post is in use constantly for various maint, resto and race car work.

if you are thinking about getting a lift....stop thinking. just do it. total game changer. you will wish you had done it sooner. installing a lift should be the first mod done to a car.

Comment

I have two BendPak lifts. the two post in pic for the working area and a 4 post for car storage in the other bay. zero issues in 5 years. the two post is in use constantly for various maint, resto and race car work.

if you are thinking about getting a lift....stop thinking. just do it. total game changer. you will wish you had done it sooner. installing a lift should be the first mod done to a car.
                  Cool thanks! Looking at BendPak myself. Trying to figure out if my garage floor is thick enough for a lift. Gonna drill a hole in it this weekend.
                  1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Cool thanks! Looking at BendPak myself. Trying to figure out if my garage floor is thick enough for a lift. Gonna drill a hole in it this weekend.
                    Drill two holes just to be sure, and use a quality hammer drill unless you want to be there all day.

Comment

Probably over thinking this but is it difficult to get the subframe on and off the trans jack?
                      Lift is getting installed next week so just thinking through the best way to get the subframe out of and back in the car without having to li on my back!
                      1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

dozens of threads on ways to do this...... it just ain't that hard, or toxic.

it is also easier to drop the entire subframe as one unit than take it apart.
                        Car to loan out this finely crafted tool you made? I dont weld or I would attempt to make one myself!
                        1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

If doing sub frame bushes in the car I gather just removing the diff bush bolt gives enough freedom?
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                            If doing sub frame bushes in the car I gather just removing the diff bush bolt gives enough freedom?
                            I disconnected the diff and the axles from the diff then pulled the shocks off of the rear subframe but left shocks dangling from the rear strut mounts. had a jack under the subframe to lower/support it after breaking the subframe bushing bolts loose. I think when you have as little connected to the rear sub it makes it easier to maneuver and get back into place when you're reassembling.
                            sigpic

Comment

Seems like more work to drop the whole subframe but in the end it will save you time. Better access for the bushing tools and safer to apply a little heat to help break the rubber free from its grip on the subframe.

Plus you can replace the soft brake lines and inspect the hard lines at the "T" much more easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
                                Does the jack method work?

Thread update: This method didn't work for me. All it did was lift up the car when I tried to jack up the subframe with a socket on top of the bushing. In the video, it doesn't show the bushing starting to move at the beginning of the jacking event. On my car, the bushing stayed in place in the subframe and the car just went up.

Oh well, time to try something else.

Comment

Working...
                                X