Coilover Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coilover Question?

So I'm new to e30 world, and am beginning to start toying with my 91 Vert.

My question is what are the best coilover solutions for these cars? I was going to bag it, but the thought of spending over 2500 on parts alone, plus however much for install, for such an old car to me is a bit over the top..

What coil would allow me to sit pretty much on the ground with almost now travel so I dont destroy my fenders? With camber adjustment preferably..I'm not really looking to drive the hell out of it, mainly just cruise in and enjoy the beauty and aesthetics of the car.

Please no "stance is stupid" replies.

Thanks in advance!!

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post

Coilover question is asked quite often .... here's my defacto post

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

ADAMS Autosport

Comment

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, the search option is your best friend at this point in your R3v career.
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Stance is stupid. YW in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
          Stance is stupid. YW in advance.
          My Garage
          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Have you thought about asking on vwvortex?
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Stance isn't stupid. There are many iterations of stance.
              It's just that yours is stupid :p

Joking aside, driving a car with no travel isn't fun. You can still get retard low and have travel.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Wood blocks make good springs if you want zero travel. Better yet, just don't put any springs in!

Comment

Originally posted by Csoares View Post

Please no "stance is stupid" replies.

Thanks in advance!!
                  how about stance is ghey?

maybe stance is retarded?

perhaps people that slam there cars need to be slammed up the butt with a splintered 2x4?

seriously, no.....seriously, stance is out of style already. flat brimmed douchers have already moved on from this...... and its stupid.

over 96.27% of us have figured this out already.

no disrespect intended of course and welcome to the forum.
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                  92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                  88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                  88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                  87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                  12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I think bagging it would be your best bet. No stroke on these cars sucks and leads to bump steer issues.

You could build your own manual control air ride kit for less than $1000.
                    You should install it yourself so you know how to trouble shoot it when a leak or problem arises.
                    sigpic

Comment

Forgot to ask earlier, w u call E30 old car and refuse to spend money one it? OP=OC style poser.

Comment

I have BC coils on mine. It has ride travel but it's not enough to make your wheels rub and what not, unless you go stupid low. I don't even have the extreme drop coilovers and they go pretty low. I set them on the lowest setting when I first got them to see how low they'd go and my lip was almost touching the floor but then I raised it because I don't want to drive it like that haha. I set the camber on them to the least they'd go since I don't want much camber either.

Comment

"bump steer"-

where you have such a non- compliant suspension that a bump steers you right
                          off the road and you pope your tairs...

t
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Wanting to sit on the ground with coils is more of a pain in the butt than you think...
                            When getting in that literal range it's definitely much better to go for bags. I'm a stance guy and I understand that most of the guy's here dont agree with the idea, but from experience trying to be the lowest of the low in the scene isnt as great as you think. Period. Youll aready be spending more than half the cost of bags on coils and youll end up paying more than the cost of bags after you slam all sorts of shit on the ground and spend money fixing the dang thing.

Coil options though:
                            CA Tuned - Great quality streetable coil with a super low weld option when you purchase. Provides camber, height, and dampening adjustability. I believe cost is around $1300 with spindles which I recommend that option because they're doing the welding for you and they're plug and play when you receive them. This setup would be the proper way to go low with. The entire shock spins when adjusting height which does not effect shock travel unlike cheaper coilover/sleeve-over setups.

Racelands/JOMs - Definitely the bang for the buck. They actually ride decent, but dont provide any adjustment. Technically considered sleeve-overs which results in less travel the lower you go, but I maxed mine out and still have what I think is plenty of travel. Cost is about $400.

BC - Good middle of the road type of setup IMO. Biggest gain is they can be rebuilt if a part breaks I believe.

There are a lot of other suspension setups like Ground Control, Megan, etc. These are a few I've had personal experience with. That Search option on the forum here is your best friend. The product reviews section will come in handy as well for your decision.
                            I don't even own this car anymore, but I'm too lazy to change the picture.

Comment

Since you sound like a stance kiddie with your "beauty and aesthetics" I'd say just buy any of the Chinese alibaba coilover brands, BC, Megan, D2, etc.

None of these will do any favors for your resale value, but it gets you "teh stants" for cheap.

But then again if you truly hate yourself, you can go with ricelands.
                              Originally posted by priapism
                              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                              Originally posted by shameson
                              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
                              X