Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H&R Sports, should my rear springs be this compressed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H&R Sports, should my rear springs be this compressed?

I am running H&R Sports 50406 and Koni Adjustables.

I do have a bit more weight in the back with an E36 M3 Exhaust and a larger battery, but this seems really low.

I am running larger spring pads in the rear because I had slight rubbing, (still do), I took this pick today with a full tank of gas, the car is super low and the springs are really compressed.

I know people like low, but I would actually like a bit more height in the rear.

The front is just fine and that is with the heavier S54 in there, do I have bad rear springs?

Rear

Front
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Something's not right. I have 50406 w/billys on mine and have clear separation between the coils. I'm thinking the koni's are limited on travel and at full extension is binding up your springs.

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
      Something's not right. I have 50406 w/billys on mine and have clear separation between the coils. I'm thinking the koni's are limited on travel and at full extension is binding up your springs.
      Hmm interesting, I will disconnect the Koni and see if the car rises, but they didn’t seem to have a problem when the car is jacked.

Comment

Going from memory here; My rear H&R Sport springs bind in the same way (dead coils) as yours.
        I can verify tonight if you wish.

This is to prevent the springs falling out of place when the suspension is unloaded (over bumps, jumps, etc).

I can't compare rear arch height, as I have an early model with the higher rear arches. I am also running thinner springpads top and bottom.

Comment

That definitely looks wrong. From your pic it looks like all the coils of the spring are basically touching and it isn't under any dynamic load at all. If you hit a bump you will have almost no "spring". I had H&R Race and it definitely didn't look like that.

Comment

My rear ride height is about the same on H&R Sports and Billy Sports, but I agree that spring looks way too compressed. I can look at the car this weekend, they definitely should compress, but not to the point the coils are touching.

FWIW also have E90 Drophats on the front.
            1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
            1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
            September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
            Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Zeemz View Post

My rear ride height is about the same on H&R Sports and Billy Sports, but I agree that spring looks way too compressed. I can look at the car this weekend, they definitely should compress, but not to the point the coils are touching.

FWIW also have E90 Drophats on the front.
              Thanks, take a pic if you can!

I dont have drop hats the extra weight of the S54 in the front is enough.

Comment

H&R Sport Springs #50406

Full droop:

At ride height:

Last edited by Panici; 05-29-2019, 06:34 AM.

Comment

I had H+R Sport’s a while back. That’s not right.

Comment

On mine the middle three coils are touching, and there's a decent gap between the middle three, and the first and fifth, maybe 3/4" to an inch.

Seems like a dumb design if the middle three coils are always touching.

Comment

Well, I am going to test this week, I have a set of ix H&R Sports and putting them on to see what they look like.

Comment

H&R Race’s do the same thing for the most part, except they are not totally compressed like yours are.

Comment

Coil bind is all bad, that's not right at all.
                          Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

Spoke to several installers including H&R and that is how they are supposed to be, still seems odd to me.

Anyway switched them out for the xi version, it raised the rear just enough. No more rub, I am happy!

Comment

What I think you can't see in your picture is open coils on the bottom. The top coils do compress all the way, but there are ~3 coils below that that aren't. The rear Accel in your picture is obscuring that.

If you look at the picture of the spring in the box, you can see the top coils are closer together than the bottom ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X