H&R OE Sport Springs with Bilstein B4 shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H&R OE Sport Springs with Bilstein B4 shocks

Giving my 325e a suspension refresh that it desperately needs and went with H&R OE Sport Springs and Bilstein B4 shocks to complement new bushings all around. I want to tighten up my car’s handling a little bit and make the ride more taut while maintaining close to OEM level of comfort. The plan is to use the car as a fun daily that handles well without going apeshit behind the wheel. Does anyone else run this setup? How does it compare to the original suspension? I tried Googling on this setup for E30s but didn't find much.
    1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
    1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

I'm running this setup on my 318is and love it. It works well for cruising, commuting, spirited driving, and HPDEs. I've added E46 15mm rear spring pads to mine to level out the ride height as the 318 is a little lighter up front than the 325. More info here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forum/general-forums/members-rides/359703-mike-s-alpine-white-1991-318is-now-with-bbs-rs001s?p=7014054#post7014054

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
      I'm running this setup on my 318is and love it. It works well for cruising, commuting, spirited driving, and HPDEs. I've added E46 15mm rear spring pads to mine to level out the ride height as the 318 is a little lighter up front than the 325. More info here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forum/general-forums/members-rides/359703-mike-s-alpine-white-1991-318is-now-with-bbs-rs001s?p=7014054#post7014054
      This is awesome info as I'm considering something similar. Did you happen to consider any of the TC Kline setups for your car? Are they too track-focused for the street?

Comment

Originally posted by Nate37 View Post

This is awesome info as I'm considering something similar. Did you happen to consider any of the TC Kline setups for your car? Are they too track-focused for the street?
        I don't know much about the TC Kline setup. I just looked at their website and they do have 318i/is specific setups. I went with the Bilstein B4 and OE Sport H&R setup because I wanted something only slightly more aggressive than stock. So far my setup has done a great job of fitting that need.

48738828983_ebaf759527_o by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

Hi guys, old thread. In case you're still around, I'm getting ready to do a full suspension on my 1985 325e, like the OP.

ZeKahr, what did you end up going with? Any advice? I've read some conflicting info about how much the H&R OE springs lower an E30.

Referring to the H&R OEs...

FCP Euro: "Lowers your E30 .25" - .75" on average while retaining OE like ride quality"

Turner Motorsport: "
          • Lowers 1.00" front - 1.00" rear - 325e 325i 325is
          • Lowers .25" front - 0.00" rear - M3
          • Lowers -1.25" front - 1.25" rear - 318i, 318is"
          Do you guys think the Turner site has an accurate assessment? I saw the pic in Mike.bmw's thread with the springs all next to each other and was surprised at how much shorter the H&Rs are compared to stock. I'll attach a pic of my car as is. It's pretty high but I wouldn't want to take more than an inch off.

Secondly, mike.bmw , what led you to the B4 struts vs the B8's? I installed B4s in my stock setup 10 years ago and they're already gone. I'm thinking about the B8s with those springs. I would like a "stock" ride, or slightly more firm. Please let me know your thoughts, thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	Tick Tick current stock height 2021.jpg
Views:	1195
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	10031340

Comment

I have the H&R Sport springs on my car now, but can't give a totally accurate assessment since I later figured out that the previous owner had the car on M3 springs. But, see below for a pic of my car now on the H&Rs. I wish the front were a bit lower - I may go with one of the various drop hat setups on the front to get that extra half inch.

The H&R springs are quite a bit shorter than stock but they are also higher rate, which means they will compress less than the stock springs when they are loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldMember View Post
              Hi guys, old thread. In case you're still around, I'm getting ready to do a full suspension on my 1985 325e, like the OP.

ZeKahr, what did you end up going with? Any advice? I've read some conflicting info about how much the H&R OE springs lower an E30.

Referring to the H&R OEs...

FCP Euro: "Lowers your E30 .25" - .75" on average while retaining OE like ride quality"

Turner Motorsport: "
              • Lowers 1.00" front - 1.00" rear - 325e 325i 325is
              • Lowers .25" front - 0.00" rear - M3
              • Lowers -1.25" front - 1.25" rear - 318i, 318is"
              Do you guys think the Turner site has an accurate assessment? I saw the pic in Mike.bmw's thread with the springs all next to each other and was surprised at how much shorter the H&Rs are compared to stock. I'll attach a pic of my car as is. It's pretty high but I wouldn't want to take more than an inch off.

Secondly, mike.bmw , what led you to the B4 struts vs the B8's? I installed B4s in my stock setup 10 years ago and they're already gone. I'm thinking about the B8s with those springs. I would like a "stock" ride, or slightly more firm. Please let me know your thoughts, thanks!Click image for larger version

Name:	Tick Tick current stock height 2021.jpg
Views:	1195
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	10031340
              I pieced out individual suspension items on ECStuning after hearing some bad things about the ECS suspension kits. and brought as my own kit (part numbers attached in images). Shop that did the suspension work told me not to pair the OE sports with B4 shocks cuz they’re apparently too stiff.
              Attached Files
              1986 325e Schwarz (sold)

Greed is Good

Comment

Hi ZeKahr , is it me or do I see via your parts list that you did pair the OE sport springs with B4 shocks and struts?? And you say that the shop told you not to? I'm confused. Will you confirm your setup and let me know if you like it? Thank you!

Comment

I have OE Sports (50404-55) with cheapo KYBs and it rides great. B8s are kinda harsh- I would personally run Konis if you were going to shell out for B8s.

I ran my OE Sports with E90 drop hats, not too low, gives it a nice stance.

I don't have any good pictures showing ride height. Will get some and report back.

Reporting back w/ pics.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
                  Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Last edited by AWDBOB; 09-21-2021, 06:43 PM.
                  1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                  1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I just finished installing OE Sports (50405-55) paired with B6's on my 318is a couple of weeks ago. Not sure how worn out your springs are but I definitely found it smoothed out the ride while tightening them up. I went with the OE Sports like mike because the m42 oil pan is already quite low and known to get hit.

So you know the I had the B6's with the stock springs for about a year (only summer driving) and wish I just did the entire swap at the same time, those old springs were trash

Comment

Originally posted by GoldMember View Post
                      Hi ZeKahr , is it me or do I see via your parts list that you did pair the OE sport springs with B4 shocks and struts?? And you say that the shop told you not to? I'm confused. Will you confirm your setup and let me know if you like it? Thank you!
                      That’s correct, the shop said not to pair the OE Sport Springs with the B4 shocks. So I ended up returning the springs and my setup is the B4 shocks with the stock 325e springs. TBH I’m satisfied with the setup and wouldn’t go any stiffer considering I’m turning into an old man and my tolerance for bumps and jitters is decreasing every year
                      Last edited by ZeKahr; 09-22-2021, 07:03 PM.
                      1986 325e Schwarz (sold)

Greed is Good

Comment

I've been running the B4s and H&R OE Sport Springs for a while now. Track days, 1500+ mile road trips, family trips, club tours - I'm still loving the combo. I know others have been running this setup for longer without issues. I'm not sure why your shop recommended against this setup, but perhaps they aren't aware of the differences between "OE Sport Springs" and "Sport Springs".

Comment

The only thing about using B4s or B6s with any sport springs is just that the shock is going to always be a little more compressed than using shocks that are made for shorter springs, like the B8s. I use the same springs but with the B8s. B4s are considered stock replacement as B4s and B6s bring in a little more performance and stiffness, the B8s are just shorter. But if you get a B6s you have the same dampening as B8s. The theory with the using the taller shock, they will wear out faster. What many people dont know, any Billy shock still has a 50k-70k life expectancy. The lifetime warranty is for usage, not duration of the shock. I am close to 90k and looking to either get them again or use Koni's as they are adjustable.
                          Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                          BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Keep in mind that OE Sports only slightly lower the car so are well suited to B4's. Ive run those with great results so Id disagree with you shop. If you go with Koni yellows they (along with B8s) are both intended for lowered cars. TBH the OE Sports are kind of a hybrid...not really stock but not really lowered so you can run them with any of the above. IMO the B4s are a better value and give an amazingly comfortable ride while still improving handling without harshness...not to mention they are a fraction of the price
                            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                            Alice the Time Capsule
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I just had my first ride with my new setup; 88 325 iS with M3 springs and koni yellows set at max soft.
                              I wasn't expecting too much as i had already swapped out the stock shocks for B4's...but i have to say i was very pleased with the koni yellows.

The ride is softer over bumps but handles better in the corners...not sure how that's possible but i drove my usual joy ride route and took sweeping corners about 10 km/hr faster than normal with ease.
                              The ride felt less harsh but more in control with less body roll...very pleased so far. I was expecting to start adjusting the shocks to get the perfect balance between harsh ride and handling but i'm going to leave alone for now.

BTW, the rear dropped an extra 1/8" now the total drop from the OEM sport springs to M3 with konis is 3/4" drop front, 7/8" rear.

Comment

Working...
                              X