How do I achieve this colour finish? M42 valve cover re-painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I achieve this colour finish? M42 valve cover re-painting

As the title says, here's what i'm trying to achieve.
    m42 valve cover - Imgur

Same photos are attached to thread.

I like the top two the most.

After prepping and cleaning the surfaces, What paint do I use? Assuming it is in fact paint, and not the colour of the metal?

Doing the work whilst a timing and head gasket service is done, anything else I should Clean/paint while I'm at it?
    Attached Files

IMHO a few options...

BEST
    vapour honing / wet blasting = gives a nice finish, especially on cast alloy surfaces

BETTER
    sandblast (or a very good clean through some other means) + Engine enamel e.g. VHT engine paint
    (but it's paint and need to treat accordingly)

GOOD
    Sandblasting = gives a rough finish,
    E30 320i vert
    But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Originally posted by Tzantushka View Post
      IMHO a few options...

BEST
      vapour honing / wet blasting = gives a nice finish, especially on cast alloy surfaces

BETTER
      sandblast (or a very good clean through some other means) + Engine enamel e.g. VHT engine paint
      (but it's paint and need to treat accordingly)

GOOD
      Sandblasting = gives a rough finish,
      Thanks so much.

I've been doing a bit of googling... Wet blasting does seem to leave a good finish and is probably the simplest option.. Someone from the fb E30 group I'm on haid theirs wet blasted and it sort of looks like there is still some discolouration/staining. Saw similar on google, it looks to work really really well for newer parts, but older parts appear to struggle a bit to get them fully clean?

I might stick with vht paint at this stage. Someone from fb also showed me theirs which they powder coated, it looked really really good. I might try get some quotes on powder coating as well Incase it's affordable.
      ​​​
      Thanks!

Comment

i would look to get it powder coated. any textured/blasted bare finish will be harder to keep looking clean in the long run
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I've had great luck with glass bead blasting (dry) and afterwards using a quartz coating (Gyeon Q2 Rim) to ad an extra layer of protection.
          It's resistant up to some pretty high temps as the coating is meant for wheels/exhausts + oil wipes of very easy and it doesn't stain.

I don't like to look of the vapor honing, to me the aluminium just "shines" to much..

It's been I think 3 years and it still looks perfect

1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
          1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

That blasted then clear coated look is really nice.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            [CoTM: 4-18]
            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
            - updated 3-17

Comment

rough sand and engine paint for comparison

Click image for larger version

Name:	KQwZvB9jnp4WJnduBL8svI1yqKndq3Z4VqXxu3obg_pkp2b4dZ2vdic0lWnOMIIPGyMGpt1V7o_7H9D-TNmynros232W8tdXm1Gp3WJyMf8ggDT0yLImPIrmaZm0eOb7x-6p-lurAg=w2400.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	10056039

also think the blasted and clear look is the best of them all for aluminum.

Comment

Working...
              X