No announcement yet.

E30 convertibles are cheap and easy to locate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eh, I hate everything BMW after the e46. And I disagre—a zhp vert is a great driver’s car with exceptional road handling. Ive had a number of newer BMWs and they just dont do it for me. Ive moved to want classic BMWs as summer cruisers, and a modern SUV for daily commuting
    1992 318i cabrio Alpinweiss 2
    2006 ZHP cabrio Imola​

Comment

^^^ this is me to a T. Have a new SUV for daily and comfort but have the e30 convertible for fun/nostalgia.
      1992 325i Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by sna77 View Post
        eh, I hate everything BMW after the e46. And I disagre—a zhp vert is a great driver’s car with exceptional road handling. Ive had a number of newer BMWs and they just dont do it for me. Ive moved to want classic BMWs as summer cruisers, and a modern SUV for daily commuting
        This reminds me of an interview I heard with Lorne Michaels where he said that he can invariably tell when a person graduated high school based on when SNL ''stopped being funny''.

A zhp is just what, a steering rack, control arms and a set of hot cams away from its counterparts? No lsd (womp womp) and a soft top-- That's a no from me, dog.

Comment

the e60/e90 were some of the ugliest bms Ive ever seen.. and the new ones with the giant grills suck too. I dont hate all new cars, just the new bmws. and again, I owned a bunch, and they bore me, and have so little road feel. They traded handling for pure speed, and great engines for turbo nonsense. Ehh, I’ll pass..

fwiw I owned 4 e46s, 2 of which were zhps. The zhps, are undoubtedly better looking, and the pinnacle of e46 design… and they were both better cars than my early 328/330… Plus, my zhp has an LSD installed which obviously opens things up a bit.

2006 ZHP cabrio Imola​

Comment

The new BMWs are way too porky as well. I’ve seen the 2 Series and it looks like a pig in size compared to the E30. That car, even for its “dimunitive” size, still needs a back up camera to parallel park in NYC
            1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
            1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

If I were to own a BMW convertible, it would be a Z3M. But that's only BMWs, R129 SL600, especially AMG, is probably the only convertible I'd actually buy if the chance came up.

Originally posted by ZeKahr View Post
              The new BMWs are way too porky as well. I’ve seen the 2 Series and it looks like a pig in size compared to the E30. That car, even for its “dimunitive” size, still needs a back up camera to parallel park in NYC
              The new M2 (the roblox car one) being a small car came up in conversation recently, I rejected that premise as it weighs as much as if not more than my E34 wagon, and looked it up; 5.5" shorter than said wagon. Back up cameras are more to do with visibility though, the Supra isn't very big; one parks next to my E30 every day at work, but the visibility is abysmal.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

my dream bmw vert is z8… I love that car, just cant justify $100+k for a car I’d very rarely drive
                Last edited by sna77; 06-04-2023, 09:14 AM.
                2006 ZHP cabrio Imola​

Comment

the e60/e90 were some of the ugliest bms Ive ever seen.. and the new ones with the giant grills suck too.
                  I mean this is EXACTLY what the lorne michaels quote was about lol

But seriously, it sounds like you should make a mod list for your signature with current and past rides, maybe even your cca# (if its low enough)

Comment

I am 100% with you. I despise modern BMWs. I don’t care about the HP they produce. Blah blah blah. The older BMWs were made for twisties. You don’t need gobs of HP to enjoy them, just a nice suspension and the skill
                    of knowing how to drive properly. I’ve driven the new BMWs and they lack any sort of feeling (speed is relative…)

I also have to say it isn’t easy to find an E30
                    convertible. Trying to replace one I had 20 years ago is not easy. They either want an absorbent amount of money for the car, or it is a step above a junker (and still $8k).

Comment

eh, I hate everything BMW after the e46.

yeah i also pretty much fall off the boat after the e46. the exception for me would be the e82. as far as i know we never got anything but the coupe and vert in canada. the e82 seems the closest modern spiritual successor to the e30. i have no idea how they are to live with though. i'd probably be talked into a z car fairly easy too, but it's not my first choice.

i can count on one hand the number of e30's i've seen in the wild here over the past year. there's not many more e82s either, there are more z cars than both, and far too many are autos here. the most common bmws here are all suvs.

Comment

I love my vert.. It's a manual, so that helps a lot in the "fun" department.

I think those of you who seem to be very against the vert experience haven't experienced the car they way it was intended.. I'll echo that not every car has to be a firm track setup. If you get into a vert and expect that, you're going to be disappointed. Honestly, I've had no desire to modify my vert in any way, out side of appearance. It's... almost perfect

When I was driving the vert a lot more, I would always grab the vert keys over the hardtop when I was walking out the door to go drive around the beach... I just drive that thing with the intent to cruise, versus when I go out in the hardtop, I'm wringing that thing out at every light.

Totally different experience, while still being 100% e30

That being said, an auto trans has no place in an e30 unless you're physically unable to drive stick.

Originally posted by gazellebeigem3 View Post
                        a slushbox pairs perfectly with a floppy vert chassis, no need for heel toeing on the way to the ice cream shop.

Disagree with you on that...

Originally posted by ZeKahr View Post
                        Haven’t driven one. Never liked the profile of a vert compared to a sedan or a coupe, so I more or less ignored their existence. Also don’t like having wind blasted in my face while driving

Top down, windows up. If you're going under 70, you wont feel a thing
                        Last edited by MrBurgundy; 06-22-2023, 09:21 AM.
                        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
                        X