Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it increase or decrease resale value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it increase or decrease resale value?

I am on the fence regarding upgrading the springs & shocks / dampers. My son want to take the H&R / Bils route to lower it and inprove the performance of our otherwise stock 1992 318i and I suspect we will end up selling this in the next 6 months.
    My question is.. in general does it increase or decrease the cars resale value (targeting Bring-a-Trailer)? Or do certain setups (H&R Super Sport vs. Race, etc)

If the car isn't a collector, people are buying with their eyes. Aka if the car looks cooler lowered, it could evoke more of an emotional response from a potential buyer. Could be the thing that sells them on your car vs another.

Pick the springs for how you're using the car. I would steer clear of super sport and race springs, and get a traditional H&R sport spring with a quality damper- I prefer Konis for a street car.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

If you've got blown out shocks and worn out suspension bushings, refreshing the suspension would probably increase the value. Some people will see a lowered car as modified and assume it was abused, lowering the value. Others may see a job done well and view that as a benefit.

If you're going to sell the car in the next 6 months, why even bother replacing the springs? Also, you're never going to recoup the total cost of the parts + labor installing them. Even something special, like a Ground Control setup, will cost more to install than you will get back from the mod when selling.
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Swapping the stock springs and shocks with H&Rs/Billy’s will only reduce the potential buyer base for your car. In general, collectors and purists are the folks who’ll pay the most coin for your car and will want it as stock as possible. If a driving enthusiast were to buy it, they’d most likely rip off your mods (or the stock parts) and toss on whatever mods fit them. Those kinds of folks are also generally stingier when it comes to looking for a car to buy

Don’t know how old your kid is, but if he’s under 25 I wouldn’t go with his recommendations on suspension mods if I was you. If he wants to throw Super Sport/Race springs and Bilsteins on it, it’s not going to be a comfortable ride for those times you want it to be a comfortable ride.

Given that you’re looking to sell the car in 6 months, best to leave it as is. The money spent on springs/shocks would be better spent on detailing the car in preparation for the sale
        Last edited by ZeKahr; 05-30-2023, 06:22 PM.
        1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
        1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

Typically you never recoup the money spent on modifications.

If you choose to modify the car, do it for yourself, not the next owner.

Comment

I think dude is asking what mods are equivalent to house flipper grey. Just flip the car and move on, business titan.

Comment

I wouldn't bother doing anything if you are about to sell it.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by gazellebeigem3 View Post
                I think dude is asking what mods are equivalent to house flipper grey. Just flip the car and move on, business titan.
                It took 5 replies to get here, honestly I thought it would be sooner.
                sigpic
                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Working...
                X