Need help with fitment ESM 002r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with fitment ESM 002r

Hello guys. I am planning on buy esm 002r wheels 16x8 front et 20 and 16x9 et 15 in rear. I was thinking of getting 205/45/16 front and 215/40/16 in rear. It’s really hard to find those tire sizes and honestly I want a setup that looks good and without rolling fenders and at the same time. Easy to find tires. I was thinking 215/45/16 all around. But I don’t know how it will look. Can someone guide me in the right direction. Post pictures of your setup if possible. BTW my e30 is lowered on H&R springs.

At this point the E30 is probably one of the most heavily documented cars of all time when it comes to wheel fit, you aren't doing anything new here so look it up and use willtheyfit to compare to posts of people's verified fits. There are probably 1,000 guys who ran that exact same stretched fit. 205 on an 8" wheel and 215 on a 9" wheel, well... you won't get any endorsement of that from me. Not only stretched but it's almost 1/2" shorter than a 225/45/16, so it'll be shorter than OEM as well. Stretched fit like that was very common on E30s when they were cheap.

IG @turbovarg
    '91 318is, M20 turbo
    [CoTM: 4-18]
    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
    - updated 3-17

Comment

Do yourself a favor and don't get ESM wheels. They're low quality, look like reps, and are just a cheap wheel.

Also, why stagger your setup? Do you have enough power to need a 9" wheel in the back? Do you really want to wear out tires faster because you can't rotate them? Also, if you're putting wider wheels in the back, why are you stretching your tires to fit them? That's just reducing the contact patch and negating the benefit of the wider wheel.

As mentioned above, check your combo here to see if it fits. Stock size is 195/65R14, wheel is 14×6.5 with an ET of 30​
      Alloy Wheel & tyre fitment calculator - it calculates inset, poke, speedo error, tyre stretch and loads more.

For reference, 16x8 et35 AC Schnitzer Type I with 225/50-ZR16 Tires. These did not fit in the spare tire well. Toyo Proxies R1R 225/45-ZR16 did fit in the spare tire well.

sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
        Do yourself a favor and don't get ESM wheels. They're low quality, look like reps, and are just a cheap wheel.

Also, why stagger your setup? Do you have enough power to need a 9" wheel in the back? Do you really want to wear out tires faster because you can't rotate them? Also, if you're putting wider wheels in the back, why are you stretching your tires to fit them? That's just reducing the contact patch and negating the benefit of the wider wheel.

As mentioned above, check your combo here to see if it fits. Stock size is 195/65R14, wheel is 14×6.5 with an ET of 30​
        Alloy Wheel & tyre fitment calculator - it calculates inset, poke, speedo error, tyre stretch and loads more.

For reference, 16x8 et35 AC Schnitzer Type I with 225/50-ZR16 Tires. These did not fit in the spare tire well. Toyo Proxies R1R 225/45-ZR16 did fit in the spare tire well.

God those wheels are so fucking hot.

Comment

When ESMs were ~$100/wheel I liked them. They're kind of pricey now for what they are.

Here are some ESM007 16x8 ET20 Front, 16x9 ET15 Rear.
          225/45R15 all around. Pretty significant fender lip roll front and rear to clear.

These pics have a 12mm spacer on the fronts, bringing them to ET8. With offset CABs, the fronts rub the front wheel liners when turning.

Switched to 245/45R16 in the rear. Terrible choice.

Rear when lowered a bit:

Raised a bit so it only rubs over 50% of bumps instead of every bump:

Rake looks bad:

If I were buying 16s, I'd go 16x8 square with 225/45 assuming I could find them.
          That said, I'm going back to a 15x8 setup for the tire selection/price. Also shedding a ton of weight per corner because the ESMs are boat anchors.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by khiobrien2 View Post

God those wheels are so fucking hot.
            Thanks! They were an expensive learning experience. They were originally chrome, which requires an expensive process to remove correctly. The chrome coating was flaking off in some spots, which led to pitting in the aluminum. And they all had bends. They were able to be fixed and I found a 5th wheel (also bent) to make a full set with a spare, it just cost way more than I wanted to pay and may not have been 100% worth it. Then again, they're almost impossible to find in 16x8 5x120 with a 35 offset. So maybe they're worth it.
            sigpic
            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
              It's amazing how the car can be pretty high off the ground and still rubbing on the tires.

my 225/50-R16 tires rubbed in two spots at full lock and the rears rubbed on some bumps and under load in a corner.

I'm running 15s now for more sidewall over Philly potholes (and they're 4x100)

sigpic

Comment

I'm running 15s now for more sidewall over Philly potholes (and they're 4x100)

Are the 15s youre referring to the RDs pictured? Im looking for different 15s as my god awful beyern mesh from PO are 10+ years old and the paint has gone to shit. I wish 16in tire selection was better, would make my life a whole hell of a lot easier.

Comment

Are the 15s youre referring to the RDs pictured? Im looking for different 15s as my god awful beyern mesh from PO are 10+ years old and the paint has gone to shit. I wish 16in tire selection was better, would make my life a whole hell of a lot easier.
                  Yeah, 15x7 et25 with 205/50-ZR15 Continental ExtremeContact
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                    When ESMs were ~$100/wheel I liked them. They're kind of pricey now for what they are.

Here are some ESM007 16x8 ET20 Front, 16x9 ET15 Rear.
                    225/45R15 all around. Pretty significant fender lip roll front and rear to clear.

These pics have a 12mm spacer on the fronts, bringing them to ET8. With offset CABs, the fronts rub the front wheel liners when turning.

Switched to 245/45R16 in the rear. Terrible choice.

Rear when lowered a bit:

Raised a bit so it only rubs over 50% of bumps instead of every bump:

Rake looks bad:

If I were buying 16s, I'd go 16x8 square with 225/45 assuming I could find them.
                    That said, I'm going back to a 15x8 setup for the tire selection/price. Also shedding a ton of weight per corner because the ESMs are boat anchors.
                    How did you lift the rear up? Did you use any spring pads? If so what thickness?

Comment

Originally posted by Mustafa564 View Post

How did you lift the rear up? Did you use any spring pads? If so what thickness?
                      I have the old German Engineering group buy coilover conversion, 6" 450f / 4.5" 650r with GC race plates up front.
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Mustafa564 View Post
                        I made some spring pads to help with rubbing in the rear. Attached is a PDF of the parts and dimensions (if you have access to a machine shop)
                        Attached Files
                        sigpic

Comment

How was your experience as a whole with the 225/50? 225/45 (outside of r888) seems basically nonexistent so I am forced to pick between 215/45 and 225/50 for a 16x8.

Comment

How was your experience as a whole with the 225/50? 225/45 (outside of r888) seems basically nonexistent
                            Tirerack shows Dunlop ZIIIs on closeout and Toyo R1Rs in stock. I have run ZIIs and R1Rs, both are good tires, I prefer the ZIIs. ZIIIs were not available when I last replaced my tires unfortunately. 225/50/16 isn't worth the trouble, it rubs too much in the front.

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            [CoTM: 4-18]
                            '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                            - updated 3-17

Comment

16x8 ET15 195/50/16
                              16x9 ET15 205/50/16

Needed a mild roll in the rear.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X