Damn you Harbor Freight tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn you Harbor Freight tools

So swapped out the oil pan for my S52 and was torquing the bolts and the torque wrench did not click. Now I have a snapped bolt stuck on the block.
    Should I just drill it out, I am afraid of ruining the thread.

Tips?
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
    ---------------------------------
    89 E30 S52
    Transaction Feedback.

Well, there's probably no tension on the bolt stub now that the head snapped off. You might be able to use Vise Grips on the stub after you drop the pan to remove the offending bolt if enough of it is protruding from the block.

Isn't it 89 in-lb? I'm surprised HF has a wrench that goes down that low.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

There are tools that you buy from places like that and some you don't. Items like torque wrenches and digital calipers fall into the latter group.
      For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
      Originally posted by mbonanni
      I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

if enough of it is left you could use a dremel and create a slot to use a flat head to remove. You will most likely have to remove the pan and the other fasteners to do this though.

Comment

I never had a problem with HF torque wrench or digital calipers. I'd look into why it didn't work. Did u set it up right? It's real easy to set the torque wrong. And did u remember to lock it in after u set it? Try to dremel a flat head on it and unscrew it first before drilling.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

i think that i can try the vice grips and yes, i shouldn't have bought this there. I could probably return it for credit since it's over 30 days. and just get something else.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
            89 E30 S52
            Transaction Feedback.

Comment

If not(if it sheared at the base or something,) hit it with lube and properly use an easy out.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

well, some people have experience with turning wrenches and some people don't. apparently, you fall in the latter category. once you gain a little experience, you will "know" when too much torque is too much torque without breaking off bolt heads waiting to feel for the "click". cheap tools and a lack of experience that allows you to depend on cheap tools are a bad combination i am afraid.

yes. this sucks but should be an easy repair by taking off the pan and using vise grips on the stud as mentioned above.

by the way this thread sounds, you are blaming the tool. even if the tool sucks, you are to blame for breaking the bolt i am sorry to say.

good luck getting it out. hopefully it will be an easy task
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

oh thats nice i just got bought some jackstands from harbor freight
                  88 325is Five Speed
                  Lachssilber

Comment

vise didn't help, it just slips off. got a bolt extractor, we'll see how that turns out.

flyboyx, i was really going slow as i turned because i was waiting for the click. it never came.
                    89 E30 S52
                    Transaction Feedback.

Comment

in for results of that lol
                      1993 325ic Schwarz/Natur
                      1991 318is Black/Black - Slicktop - Project s52
                      1989 Alpine White/Black M3 S52
                      1988 Henna/Pearl M3 <3

Comment

Originally posted by bernzpeed View Post
                        i was really going slow as i turned because i was waiting for the click. it never came.

Welcome to chinese precision tools. Hell, i got ass burned by a craftsman TQ wrench while my cust was waiting, never again.
                        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

You really did not have a little nagging in the back of your head that you're over doing it? lol
                          ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                          ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                          ~ '87 535
                          ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                          ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                            You really did not have a little nagging in the back of your head that you're over doing it? lol
                            Mine was a 2.5 lb ft handmade brass bolt, no room for error and hard to feel . I now own a snap on torque o meter that only goes up to 15 lb ft.
                            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

For better or worse I got my son who is a senior in high school a 301 pc. HB tool set with "lifetime warranty" for Christmas for the total price of $168.48 including tax. I know some shit will get broken or lost and I know it will get used on his Schwarz 88is. I guess I'm a pragmatist. Hell I might even borrow a tool every now and then...and then swear like hell when it breaks.
                              Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X