Most memorable modification?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most memorable modification?

What was that single most memorable modification, that cemented your passion for cars and the BMW e30?

Mine was converting to a Ground Control suspension, many many moons ago. I remember it like it was yesterday; opening the box to my new setup, seeing the shiny new setup. It was scary to cut up my housings, all alone and weld it up with my basic skill. Father approved the welds and I spent the afternoon dialing in the ride height. All the hard work and parking for the night after a long day of measuring/welding and second guessing all of my measurements. After owning a stock ride height e30 for a long ass time, it felt good to belong to that special club, of building it yourself.
    Last edited by F34R; 03-31-2014, 11:56 AM.
    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
    ~ '87 535
    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

First time getting the first turbo setup, Getting megasquirt dialed in having a massive boost leak and still being slightly faster than before. Then once that was fixed it was pretty glorious, even at 6psi.

Comment

roundel valve stem caps

Comment

Upgrading to a tighter steering rack.

I've driven quite a few different setups E36 / E36 M3 / Z3 on different cars. Had an E36 M3 Rack in my last car that was the "project car", really any E30 I own now or in the future will have a Z3 rack. There is no other modification IMO that changes the driving the way a steering rack does.

A proper suspension is up there, probably number 2 on my list, but even on just run-of-the-mill sport springs a tighter steering rack turns your car into a very fun go-kart.
        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
          roundel valve stem caps
          Can confirm

Also, wheels. I purchased my car lowered, but the switch from basket weaves to something with a lip is glorious. You get so many more looks with 3 inch lips than you ever would on basket weaves.

Feedback!
          Custom Cup Holder Consoles!
          Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay

Comment

Going from IE3/billie sports to J-Stock. The first time taking a corner that I hit all the time and realizing at the exit I could take it in the next gear up...
            88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
            We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

stroker/5 speed

The first drive was around the block without a hood. Tagged the redline in 1st gear right away. It totally changed the car. breaking the motor in was a lot of fun, because it was basically WOT 100% of the time.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

No mods necessary. I was hooked right away....

I've had over the years an e28, e21, e34, and an e30 iX. E30 rules hands down.

But, yeah, rebuilding my entire suspension, new rack, and stroker build sealed the deal. It's like having a new e30 but better. :D
                My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Chip in my first eta

Comment

buying an M3
                    "I wanna see da boat movie"
                    "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Installing a full 325i exhaust on my eta was rewarding. The somewhat rusted muffler made it sound pretty nice actually, lol. Along with a chip and afe filter it livened the eta up enough to make autox a bit more entertaining.
                      My Feedback

Comment

Installing sway bars on my old MR2. There's something amazing about flat cornering.
                        Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                        A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Currently? Lukebox.

Dreams? S54
                          -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                          08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                          318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                          '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                          Originally posted by roguetoaster
                          Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

throwing out the Eibach pros and installing H&R sports.
                            Click here to leave me feedback on our transactions. :p

Comment

My dad's 67' Mustang is what cemented my passion for cars. It had an adjustable Koni suspension, poly bushings, big sway bars, a 93' crate Cobra 5.0 with a big cam, and a 4 speed with a hurst shifter. It was fast, loud, and low. He eventually sold it for a 911.

What got me into e30's was a coworker had one, and I eventually made an offer on it. I loved everything about it, from the way the hood opened, to the sound of the inline 6, to the OBC and sport seats. It was stock and I was in love.

The mod that got me into "modding" e30's, was upgrading the suspension. I went from stock /worn out everything, to Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sport springs, new control arms, and M3 offset CAB's. That was a night and day difference and really brought out the BMW driving experience that I was missing.
                              Instagram
                              sigpic
                              Current: 99 M3
                              Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Working...
                              X