E30 prices...Only going to keep going up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smooth View Post
    you two are so far off from reality it's hilarious. but whatever you want to tell yourselves don't let me splash cold water on your fantasies :)
    Personally, I don't care what the value of e30's are. I've got mine, and I'm not selling it. I really like it, and I'm planning on keeping until I either can't drive anymore or the car is physically beyond repair.

Guess I'm living my fantasy. :D

Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with you that Asian imports of the same age are probably easier to maintain than an e30. I just don't think it's really a factor in how desirable the car is.

Comment

you two are so far off from reality it's hilarious. but whatever you want to tell yourselves don't let me splash cold water on your fantasies :)
      ok. let me know when the 1985-1990 Toyota Camry picnic is. I won't hold my breath.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If you're driving your e30 for transportation it'll fall apart and/or rust out before people are paying six figures for pristine bone stock specimens.

I have been daily driving my e30's for almost a decade. This statement has no truth to it. If anything a daily gets more mechanical attention since after all, it's a daily and will need to be maintained. I would still be driving my first e30 if it wasn't involved in an accident, the current one has a 175k mile broken odometer, I drive it to/from/on the tracks, have been all over Florida in this one, visited many places west of the Mississippi in the old one.

I work on them for a living, there are plenty of them still going strong in a daily status. Granted, we don't have to worry as much about rust here in FL as other locations, but my current car is from NY.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
          ok. let me know when the 1985-1990 Toyota Camry picnic is. I won't hold my breath.

Comment

If there are groups of grown ass men who enjoy My Little Pony, unfortunately the Toyota Camry Fest probably also exists

Comment

after you put $40k into restoring it? :p
              Dude, you gotta spend money to make money! :hitler:

Originally posted by jdt10768 View Post
              If there are groups of grown ass men who enjoy My Little Pony, unfortunately the Toyota Camry Fest probably also exists
              lol, I heard about that on the radio the other day.

I'm gunna change my r3v username to twilight sparkle :D
              Last edited by Stanley Rockafella; 05-15-2014, 10:52 AM.
              If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

I think this is only true for maybe a IS and M3 Models.

Comment

Saw a Toyota Cressida meet once. Was a sad sight to see... Cars and owners.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
                  ~Stay Thirsty~

Comment

Originally posted by STAGGERED M3 View Post
                    I think this is only true for maybe a IS and M3 Models.
                    Whoop whoop my IS will be worth something some day.
                    For real though the M3 is the only car that will be sought after as far as e30s go. drive your cars and mod them as you will.

Comment

24v swaps are hardly "fad" modifications.
                      the debate over whether to tastefully mod collectibles or not has been going on for as long as people have been restoring and collecting cars. Very few collectibles, as in a handful, fetch stratospheric prices based on being bone stock. if you want to sell it to a museum or for someone's personal garage collection you *might* have a case but that's so far from reality for the majority of collectibles, and will be even less so for a German import, that it's not even worth worrying about.

If you're driving your e30 for transportation it'll fall apart and/or rust out before people are paying six figures for pristine bone stock specimens.
                      i won't argue the fad part, that's my opinion and you've got yours.

i'm not talking about (non-M3) e30's fetching stratospheric price levels - they never will. but they will continue to go up in value from where they are now, there can hardly be any debate about that.

part of my point is how many "tastefuly modded" 24v-swapped e30s are there? if this message board is an accurate sample - only a very small percentage of them would seem to fit the criteria you've outlined.

and just for the record, any 60's muscle car is worth more bone stock than with "tasteful mods" - and there's A LOT of those, so get outta here with that bunk argument. :p
                      8380 Laboratories
                      M3 Champs Poster

Comment

Originally posted by 8380 Labs View Post
                        and just for the record, any 60's muscle car is worth more bone stock than with "tasteful mods" - and there's A LOT of those, so get outta here with that bunk argument. :p
                        oh bullshit

far, far, far more 60's era muscle cars are completely worthless than the few that are worth anything at all in any configuration. a handful garage finds are worth a *lot* but that's it

but get out of your own truncated view of what's considered collectible, say anything pre-50's, and you'll find people putting updated suspension, AC, 12v systems and those cars' values don't take a shit so long as the body is good and, and this is how I've managed my mods, reversible.
                        Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

anyway, talk about missing the forest for the trees :|

the point is that for nearly everyone in this thread what they do or don't do with their E30's will make no measurable difference in the value of the car so might as well mod it and drive it to their heart's content
                          Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

anyway, talk about missing the forest for the trees :|

the point is that for nearly everyone in this thread what they do or don't do with their E30's will make no measurable difference in the value of the car so might as well mod it and drive it to their heart's content
                            Amen to that.

A rare example of a rising tide truly lifting all boats.

Comment

I don't see why everyone is arguing in this thread. Nobody knows the future so don't act like you do.

Comment

Originally posted by cavpilot View Post
                                I totally disagree with this. Show me any other 1988 vehicle that's still out on the road and thriving in many ways. For comparison purposes, go onto Craigslist and do a search for 1988 Mercedes 190e. Compared to the e30, there just isn't that much out there. In my opinion they just couldn't pass the test of time, unlike the e30.
                                Okay, I kind of take that back. However, I wouldn't say that e30's are thriving and I certainly wouldn't say that the 190e couldn't stand the test of time. E30s rarely pop up for sale here and when they do they often need something to make them reliable, but there's always a 190e for sale (for a while there were like 4 at once) and they're all pretty solid. When it comes to other '80's-'90's cars I would say the average e30 really isn't looking any better than other stuff that's on CL from time to time.
                                My Feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X