Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s keeping you from using wheel locks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s keeping you from using wheel locks?

Am I the only one that feels that current wheel lock offerings for many aftermarket BMW applications are missing key features? Below are the issues I’ve spotted that are holding back many members plus myself from installing them.

What features/needs would have to be met before you’d buy wheel locks for your BMW?

OEM sized locks are readily available in many finishes, but if you look at all the offerings available in the market for the below applications there are only compromised solutions.

Applications that currently have very poor choices:
    • Cars that use spacers of any size
    • Cars with stud kits (M12 or M14)
    • Aftermarket wheels that need smaller tuner bolts
    • Anyone that wants a more secure design (i.e. more secure key pattern... not just something you can hammer a socket over)
    • Anyone that doesn’t want chrome or silver finishes in combination with any of the above

Current options for above applications
    • Available extended length locks come in an unattractive silver finish, not in black, along with a primitive security design.
    • All locks on the market come in sets of 4. Most members who use spacers would need two different lengths, resulting in the need for 2 full kits (8 locks purchased) to complete an install.
    • Only available M12, open-ended, locking nuts that work with studs come in a chrome finish
    • No real option for M14 studs that need open ended locks
    • Tuner nuts are not really locking (1 basic socket removes all nuts from that brand, or a regular socket can be made to work)
    • Most locks including OEM locks have a low security design (only 1 or a few key patterns, standard socket can again be forced on to remove lock).

Full disclosure: We’re working with the OEM wheel lock/hardware supplier for brands like Porsche, Lotus, Audi, VW, Bentley, Maserati… to develop a solution that fills these voids in the BMW aftermarket. We’d like your help to confirm what’s been missing.

ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook - Twitter

Whats keeping me from using wheel locks is I have basketweaves.. And uh, no one wants them so bad they are willing to steal them. Although I do agree, I see a lot of build threads with BBS RS's and such without locks. I would be really, really paranoid.
    -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
    -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Whats keeping me from using wheel locks is I have black steel e30 wheels and e30 hub caps. And uh, no one wants them so bad they are willing to steal them.
      If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Whats keeping me from using wheel locks is I have 14" bottlecaps. And uh, no one wants them so bad they are willing to steal them.
        sigpic
        327is
        325es
        325es
        318is
        Fiesta ST
        E46 M3

Comment

All the reasons listed in the OP. I'm very interested to see more/better options.
          Originally posted by kronus
          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

What's keeping me from using wheel locks is my car being so low to the ground. Ain't nobody got a jack that fits under there.

Comment

I don't use them because of long wheel studs, though I should due to daily driving on real Alpinas. I've thought about getting the open-end 7-sided lug nuts like I had one one of my old cars.

My long studs are my wheel locks, those fools would be there forever if they don't have power tools.
              sigpic
              1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Brick View Post
                I don't use them because of long wheel studs, though I should due to daily driving on real Alpinas. I've thought about getting the open-end 7-sided lug nuts like I had one one of my old cars.

My long studs are my wheel locks, those fools would be there forever if they don't have power tools.
                90mm stud conversion?

Comment

Stud kit+spacers. Also cheap Rota wheels...

One day I will get real BBS and then will be looking for a solution...
                  -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                  08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                  318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                  '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                  Originally posted by roguetoaster
                  Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

I'd want to, but I haven't really found anything that fits under the hubcaps; plus I'm using adapters.
                    Need a limited slip differential? Check my FS threads

Feedback thread

Comment

I don't use them because when I do, I lose the key, have to hammer them off, and then
                      realize how easy they are to defeat.

And then I realize that a set of 14" Libres isn't really what the kids want this year, anyway.

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by fanofe30s View Post
                        I'd want to, but I haven't really found anything that fits under the hubcaps; plus I'm using adapters.
                        Thick spacer style adapters that bolt on, and then you bolt your wheels into the spacer?

Does regular oem wheel hardware clear your hubcaps?

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                          What's keeping me from using wheel locks is my car being so low to the ground. Ain't nobody got a jack that fits under there.
                          The car in your sig? a long reach jack would get it up by the diff, trailing arm or spare tire well.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

Ronal LS wheels have the best design. A cap that requires a real key. Defeating that means either sweet lock picking skills, or ruining the wheels you're trying to steal.
                            Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                            A Topless Memorandum

Comment

My three piece ACT are the same. A real key is needed to remove the center cap.

The only reason I don't use wheel locks though, is how easy they are to defeat.
                              Originally posted by codyep3
                              I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                              2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                              1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                              1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                              2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                              2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                              2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                              2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                              2010 F650gs twin
                              2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Working...
                              X