Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1500 miles on timing belt, do i need new one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only on R3V. It is sad that reusing a timing belt is actually being recommended by more than one person. And these same people joke about selling used timing belts, not so sure its a joke anymore.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

It has 1500 miles on it. If it were 15,000, then sure, replace it. Retensioning it isn't going to hurt a damn thing. Just because the dogma says your M20 will explode in a ball of fire if you look at the belt sideways, doesn't mean it's true.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Guess I feel like peace of mind is worth a couple bucks.

I hope you guys are at least making sure the belt goes back on the same direction.
        No E30 Club
        Originally posted by MrBurgundy
        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

I feel like its a waste of time and money because i know it will be fine.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

agreed, there's no point in changing the belt out if it's in the early part of its service period. are people in this thread not clear on what a wear item is?
            cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
              agreed, there's no point in changing the belt out if it's in the early part of its service period. are people in this thread not clear on what a wear item is?
              So at what point in its service period is it not ok to reuse it and is there anything besides anecdote that supports the belief that re tensioning a belt doesn't shorten it's service life even of the manufacturer say don't do it
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

applying the tensioner does nothing special to the belt.

belts go at like 50k +- 10k miles, it's mostly a matter of how soon do you want to take the front of the motor apart again. if it's such a pain that you want to not do it again for as long as possible, sure, replace the belt while it's apart even if it's only got 1500 on it. if the belt is 8 years old, for fuck's sake replace the belt. if the belt is in visually good condition and you're going to have the engine torn apart for something else in the near future anyway, whatever.
                cars beep boop

Comment

wow, i actually had a thread that got to more than one page! :) I'm just going to end up getting a new belt. It's $16 at ORileys so no biggie on the money.

Thanks everyone for your discussion.

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by cpandrewschmidt View Post
                    It's $16 at ORileys so no biggie on the money.
                    what brand is this $16 belt? I sure hope it's conti.

Anything else....
                    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

yeah, I'd rather have a 1500 mile used belt than a cheap Chinese POS..
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        yeah, I'd rather have a 1500 mile used belt than a cheap Chinese POS..
                        QFTT. I cheap out on v-belts all day long and don't care, but would never consider any brand other than ContiTech (or maybe gates).
                        sigpic
                        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

they said Gates over the phone

Comment

Working...
                          X