Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1500 miles on timing belt, do i need new one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1500 miles on timing belt, do i need new one?

Hi all,
    Got my 1991 vert in the spring. did general maintenance items since i was the new owner and wasn't sure if/when things were done. water pump, belts, tensioner, thermostat, etc.

I have a slow oil drip from the head gasket so now that the weather has turned i'm tearing it apart to put a new one in. I put around 1500 miles or so on it this summer and fall.

Do i actually need a new timing belt if it has this low of miles? Can't seem to find any answers.

Thanks!
    Andrew

Yes. The belt is only to be tensioned once
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Replace it- no need to skimp out on a few dollars.
      555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
      '95 BMW e34 525i
      '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
      '92 Range Rover Classic
      '90 Range Rover Classic
      '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
      '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
      '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
      '67 Pontiac LeMans
      '24 Model T Depot Hack
      ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
        Yes. The belt is only to be tensioned once
        what?
        cars beep boop

Comment

sounds good, just making sure. The tensioner should still be good right?

Comment

The Belt is constantly tension-ed, there's no you can install it once BS.

That being said still replace it, and if you're a fancy lad get a Gates racing blue belt, looks slick.
            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
            willschnitz

Comment

What ^Wschnitz said. Taking the belt off and then putting it back on doesn't cause it to stretch when it's back under tension. I would say if a belt has less than 1,500 miles on it than it's still new. Mine has 7,000 on it and it's perfect. My motor is torn down right now and I'll probably go with the racing belt because it's so cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                The Belt is constantly tension-ed, there's no you can install it once BS.

That being said still replace it, and if you're a fancy lad get a Gates racing blue belt, looks slick.
                That's what I did! Gates makes some good stuff.
                "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
                The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by UlrichFennec View Post
                  That's what I did! Gates makes some good stuff.
                  Unless you are turbo'ing an m20 there is 100% no reason for a gates racing belt.

And just like everyone else has said you can reuse the old belt. But for $42 you can get a new one at your front door from Blunt.

Furthermore make sure to get a bmw head gasket and bolts. Have the head decked and pressure tested and valve seals replaced.
                  Much wow
                  I hate 4 doors

Comment

And why would "turbo'ing" a M20 require a "racing belt"? The cam has no idea it is "turboed" Valve spring tension, cam lift and engine speed are they only things that will change the loads placed on the cam belt compared to the the stock loads.

Comment

engine bay heat.
                      cars beep boop

Comment

because racecar

if the pro3 guys dont use em, i would just get a stock belt

edit : that said, some of the 24v guys going sc or turbo, do add more heavy duty chains etc, for the same reason
                        Last edited by Matt-B; 10-28-2015, 11:26 AM.

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Originally posted by Preyupy View Post
                          And why would "turbo'ing" a M20 require a "racing belt"? The cam has no idea it is "turboed" Valve spring tension, cam lift and engine speed are they only things that will change the loads placed on the cam belt compared to the the stock loads.
                          i would assume that a turbo allows for more load on the engine as well as faster changes in engine speed (acceleration) and changes in acceleration (jerk) which could put significant additional stresses on the belt, especially when the belt is changing direction around a pulley.
                          sigpic
                          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                            especially when the belt is changing direction around a pulley.
                            If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

I would not replace it, but thats me.

Comment

Working...
                              X