Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea it went for a LOT more than I expected...
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

For a regular 2002 without any historical significance?...I am very surprised. That's about double what I would have expected but I'm not hip to the 02 market. The ad and the workmanship is very impressive though. What did the Blue Clarion 2002 sell for?
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
        For a regular 2002 without any historical significance?...I am very surprised. That's about double what I would have expected but I'm not hip to the 02 market. The ad and the workmanship is very impressive though. What did the Blue Clarion 2002 sell for?
        The quality-restomodded 02 market has been on the rise for some time. It's only now bubbling to the surface publicly. There was another that traded privately for 38k, it was not quite at the same level as Grover's car. The non-stock Tii that sold last month for 71k. A number of other private sales I have been privy to have been north of 50k. Full restorations by quality guys like Werk Shop, Coupe King, and Sports Car Restoration are commanding six figures (privately).

Hence my referencing the Porsche R-Gruppe crowd. While there will always be a place for the concourse type cars, a good contingent of buyers want to buy these 02's to have fun driving them (and have deep enough pockets to make it happen). Had a guy a couple weeks ago text me a picture of an 02 hotrod sandwiched between his two original Cobras. His caption read, "Guess which one I enjoy driving the most?! The 02!"

As for the Clarion car, it went for 125k.

------------
        The BIG caveat here is that I am now seeing lip-stick-on-a-pig cars popping out of the woodwork now. Usually they are pretty obvious, but some unsuspecting buyers are going to get burned.
        Last edited by SkiFree; 08-03-2016, 10:45 PM.
        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
          Hence my referencing the Porsche R-Gruppe crowd. While there will always be a place for the concourse type cars, a good contingent of buyers want to buy these 02's to have fun driving them (and have deep enough pockets to make it happen). Had a guy a couple weeks ago text me a picture of an 02 hotrod sandwiched between his two original Cobras. His caption read, "Guess which one I enjoy driving the most?! The 02!"
          I am guessing it the kind of people that could easily afford a Ferrari, but don't want one because they want something special and enjoy classics. So for them a $50K-$100K older German car is a bargain.

Of course, look at how much a new Audi/BMW/Merc..etc is these days. $40K for a new car isn't outlandish (we paid in that area for my wife's A3) but then again, you can finance it..

Regardless, it was a very well done car, and I would love for any of my projects to get to that point of completion.
          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
          2016 Ford Flex
          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

$125k for the Clarion car??? Wow.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Diving board cars will never have some collectibility associated with their being DB cars.

Nobody looks at DBs as some original design that shouldn't be messed with. They are looked at, rightfully, as something that should never have been put on the cars and which should be replaced with Euro bumpers at the earliest opportunity.
              1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                $125k for the Clarion car??? Wow.
                Yea, I think it was also auctioned off and the proceeds went to charity?...

Added the Alpina that was listed here, looks like he added a stereo after getting burned about it here
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
                  diving board cars will never have some collectibility associated with their being db cars.

Nobody looks at dbs as some original design that shouldn't be messed with. They are looked at, rightfully, as something that should never have been put on the cars and which should be replaced with euro bumpers at the earliest opportunity.
                  +1
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                  92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                  88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                  88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                  87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                  12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
                    Nobody looks at DBs as some original design that shouldn't be messed with. They are looked at, rightfully, as something that should never have been put on the cars and which should be replaced with Euro bumpers at the earliest opportunity.
                    Yawn.
                    Originally posted by kronus
                    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

seems like tribute cars a getting popular. First that salvage lachssilber vert and now this lachssilber hardtop.

Comment

The front bumper is fugly without the accent line and c pillar / trunk hack job. Rofl.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

the wheels are so large, they look silly. i didn't miss the big tail lights either.

i wonder if the fenders are fiberglass?
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

M3 shell up now..

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-bmw-m3-11/
                            2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Salvage title, but sold with just a bill of sale?...
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                Salvage title, but sold with just a bill of sale?...
                                Hey, it's Seattle..

Honestly, it's already going for way too much in my opinion. You've taken away most of what made the M3 an M3. But I know that's always going to be up for debate.

It will be interesting to see where it ends up. The no title is easy to over come (put a lien against it), but the Salvage title is a little harder to over come. Unless you already have a clean vin, and just need a new shell...
                                2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Working...
                                X