This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carlb View Post

It is my entire strategy to buy poorly sorted cars. Sorting them out can be a pain but that's what the discount is for. The previous e30 s54 swap I bought on BAT was a pretty mess. But, but it is easily worth 15k more than I bought it for now that it's sorted.

I was betting that this car could be sorted with lots of sweat, patience, and a couple of grand. Plus I have most of the parts that I need already on hand to make it right.

Sent from my Surface Duo 2 using Tapatalk
    I fully agree, and most of my cars are purchased similarly, airing more on the side of total basket cases.

But the one thing that can’t be sorted with a couple grand and patience is the chassis, unless one happens to be an adequate fabricator/welder. After looking closely at the photos I suspect there is a lot more rust repair to be done than first meets the eye.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

I fully agree, and most of my cars are purchased similarly, airing more on the side of total basket cases.

But the one thing that can’t be sorted with a couple grand and patience is the chassis, unless one happens to be an adequate fabricator/welder. After looking closely at the photos I suspect there is a lot more rust repair to be done than first meets the eye.
      Rust is always a gamble. I didn't see anything worse than what has plagued my current fleet. But, it's a gamble with which one must be comfortable. Which is why I think it was worth what I bid. The chorus of "stolen!" and "easily a $30k car" didn't help one bit. That is always annoying because every car I buy at auction is a gamble (in this case, crash history, not repaired by a shop, swap as well done by a private party... or, in other words, some random dude...) and that has to be priced into the bids. I set my top bid at $21,500 (because I couldn't decide if it was a 20k car or a 23k car) and I decided that an extra $500 was reasonable given the uncertainty.
      1985 M635csi Black on Buffalo
      1985 535is Zinno on Black
      1985 M635csi White on Pacific Blue
      1988 M3 Lachssilber on Black (sold)
      1987 M3 Zinno on Black (totaled)

Comment

Originally posted by carlb View Post
        I won the auction for the S54 swapped e30 and the buyer refused to sell. Said it sold for too low. I'm like "can we talk about the entire purpose of a reserve price?" Very disappointed.
        Im annoying my buddy who works for them (BaT) His job is to literally help facilitate a situation where the deals go through.

EDIT: Ironically my buddy was the one who worked on this. There was zero response from the seller. Buyer (carlb) was refunded and seller was banned...

Im sure the car will pop up for sale again in the near future for $30k
        Last edited by 2mAn; 04-03-2022, 08:21 PM.
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Indiana 2.9L car was a bargain

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
            Indiana 2.9L car was a bargain
            Yea, just barely made reserve too... I would've loved it, but I might be doing something else soon thats dumber than buying a sorted car lol
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Yea, just barely made reserve too... I would've loved it, but I might be doing something else soon thats dumber than buying a sorted car lol
              I could feel the juju in the internet air every time I visited the auction to check on it. I could feel your cursor hovering above the bid button in the final moments.

Car gave me “driven hard, put away wet” vibes.

Comment

1991 325iX
                Bid for the chance to own a 1991 BMW 325iX Sedan 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #70,366.
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

1990 325i Convertible
                  Bid for the chance to own a Original-Owner 1990 BMW 325i Convertible 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #70,490.

Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

1990 M3
                    Bid for the chance to own a 1990 BMW M3 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #70,855.

1989 325iS
                    Bid for the chance to own a 1989 BMW 325is 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #70,874.
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

1990 318 Touring
                      Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1990 BMW 318i Touring 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #71,004.
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

1987 325 Sedan
                        Bid for the chance to own a 1987 BMW 325i Sedan 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #71,288.

Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

1986 325e Sedan
                          Bid for the chance to own a 1986 BMW 325e Sedan at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #71,385.

1989 M3
                          Bid for the chance to own a Euro 1989 BMW M3 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #71,520.

1990 325i
                          Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1990 BMW 325is at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #71,550.
                          Last edited by 2mAn; 04-18-2022, 12:04 PM.
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Really like seeing these sedans. The red interiors are hard to resist.

Comment

Originally posted by djanalog View Post
                              Really like seeing these sedans. The red interiors are hard to resist.
                              Apparently this is heresy. Take two exactly equivalent E30s, one a four door, one a two door, the two door will almost always be worth double. Why this is so is baffling, when the E30 four door looks good and offers more utility.

Comment

Man that euro slicktop M3 looks tasty. Some of the paintwork is a bit orange-peely but any slicktop M3 is a must buy in my book.
                                My Feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X