This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
    That's actually big of you to be honest with yourself and to not be one of those sour grapes people.

There is a couple Alpina's that have been circulating on eBay and Bring a Trailer, and the seller really has this price in his head that the market has time and time again proven it's not there (yet?) So he's going to sit on them.

I know we all have a value in our heads of what our car is worth, but in the end, something is only worth what another person is willing to pay.

BUT on the plus side, these things are still a better investment then most 401k's... (at least that's the argument I use with the wife.)

:p

Just think about how much of a genius you'd look like today if you invested in an E30 M3 8-10 years ago for $10k and just sat on it.
    Steve • Toronto
    1991 318is • Brillantrot
    Build Thread

Comment

LOL, I have two buddies who did that. One is Red and the other Black..

Trust me, I feel like the odd man out at times.
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

A $10k E30 M3 10 years ago would've been a fairly decent car, though not a flawless car. At todays prices you would estimate that its about a $30k car. Thats about a 12% growth. Not at all impossible to do with a properly allocated investment plan. My "Porsche fund" has done about 10% and I have done almost nothing with it

edit: Theres also the tax break you get from contributing to a 401k, but still. Your money, spend it how you want. I am just glad I dont have super easy access to that fund otherwise I wouldve blown it on some stupid car.
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

When I was e30 shopping in 2002-2003 10k didn't get you a nice e30 M3. You needed about 16-18 for something nice that was well maintained etc.
          If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
            Just think about how much of a genius you'd look like today if you invested in an E30 M3 8-10 years ago for $10k and just sat on it.
            I bought my E30 M3 six years ago, and ended up sitting on it only because I didn't have money to dedicate to it due to starting a business.

As an owner, parts are getting harder to find and more expensive when you do find them. Thankfully the wear and maintenance items you need to keep them roadworthy with use are reasonable, but anything M3 specific or rare will really cost you... :|
            Last edited by Shock(/\)ave; 11-22-2016, 09:45 AM.

Comment

The one I almost bought (shouldve bought ) was a decent looking car, I offered 8, he wanted 12. It had a rebuilt motor and a ton of other goodies, but the plastic bumpers needed a respray and the seats needed love too. Typical "driven" M3 with its age showing
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                Theres also the tax break you get from contributing to a 401k, but still. Your money, spend it how you want. I am just glad I dont have super easy access to that fund otherwise I wouldve blown it on some stupid car.
                Oh trust me, I know it well. Wife and I have been maxing ours out each the last few years, as well as dumping the max in to a 529 for the kiddo and picked up a municipal bond here or there.

Though, this year, we may still have to say "f'it" and use AMT, I can only play with numbers so much..

BUUUUUUTTTT, we are getting off topic. Curious to see if the Bronzit love is there for the vert.
                2016 Ford Flex

Comment

A $10k E30 M3 10 years ago would've been a fairly decent car, though not a flawless car. At todays prices you would estimate that its about a $30k car. Thats about a 12% growth. Not at all impossible to do with a properly allocated investment plan. My "Porsche fund" has done about 10% and I have done almost nothing with it

edit: Theres also the tax break you get from contributing to a 401k, but still. Your money, spend it how you want. I am just glad I dont have super easy access to that fund otherwise I wouldve blown it on some stupid car.
                  I contribute my annual bonus from work into my RRSP every year with the intention to sit on it until retirement time. Makes it hard for me to impulsively take the money out to spend it on stupid shit, haha.
                  Steve • Toronto
                  1991 318is • Brillantrot
                  Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                    Curious to see if the Bronzit love is there for the vert.
                    Isn't the main draw of a convertible, unless you live where 'winter' involves a lot of rain, supposed to be the lack of use and rust? That car sure doesn't check off many boxes for me...

I contribute my annual bonus from work into my RRSP every year with the intention to sit on it until retirement time. Makes it hard for me to impulsively take the money out to spend it on stupid shit, haha.
                    You have parts to buy for that car now. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
                      You have parts to buy for that car now. ;)
                      Oh I'm well aware of that...there's a separate fund I'm building up for that ;)
                      Steve • Toronto
                      1991 318is • Brillantrot
                      Build Thread

Comment

Im trying to dump as much money into my E30 as I responsibly can before I have children, the 401k already is getting maxed out. I know that once we have kids I probably would only be able to get away with tires, brake pads and track days! no more mods haha I need to get me a RHD setup ASAP :rofl:

The bronzit vert shouldnt sell for much because of its issues, but being a no reserve auction it might still fetch over 4 grand which is actually a good sell
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Oh I'm well aware of that...there's a separate fund I'm building up for that
                          Great idea. A car fund helps you budget properly and responsibly, which still being able to really enjoy the hobby. In my case, instead of buying rare parts over the years, I kept saving for the cars I wanted first. Now I'm after those parts...

Im trying to dump as much money into my E30 as I responsibly can before I have children, the 401k already is getting maxed out. I know that once we have kids I probably would only be able to get away with tires, brake pads and track days!
                          That was exactly my thinking: why wait until I'm much older to go after my dream cars, when they're reasonably priced right now?

Comment

That was exactly my thinking: why wait until I'm much older to go after my dream cars, when they're reasonably priced right now?
                            As long as you let me have first offer on the M3 when you do decide to have kids!
                            Steve • Toronto
                            1991 318is • Brillantrot
                            Build Thread

Comment

As long as you let me have first offer on the M3 when you do decide to have kids!
                              When I have kids, they're going to help me work on my cars, not force me to sell them. :p

You will see a W.T.B. thread for a complete set of E34 interior door panels and seats so the little ones don't ruin mine.

Comment

When I have kids, they're going to help me work on my cars, not force me to sell them.
                                I've actually acquired MORE cars since my daughter was born.

"oh sweetheart, the E30 just isn't a family car, I guess I'll also need something to haul family things in.."

The key is to use ALSO. :p

As for that Bronzit, I think it's probably topped out early. Maybe another grand at most.. But here on the West Coast, we've parted/crushed verts with less rust.

But I do hope it gets all the $$$$, we'll be listing either on r3v or on BAT a clean Bronzit 325i sedan at some point. Just gotta do a timing belt, change a door seal and do a good detailing of it.
                                2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Working...
                                X