X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    85 318 4door added!

...yeah. Um. Hooray?

But seriously, I agreed with you comment. The only thing that should prop the price up on it is the mileage.
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Im wondering what you Alpina experts (Jeremy) think about the E21 Alpina? It looks like it would be a good deal for a CA car. Reminds me of a few years ago when I was super tempted to buy a 323i that had a 2.7i swapped in. Was CA legal and everything. Wouldve been a fun car I think. The E21 is known to be a tail happy car, but I dont know if its a controllable tail happy car like a E30 is
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Im wondering what you Alpina experts (Jeremy) think about the E21 Alpina? It looks like it would be a good deal for a CA car. Reminds me of a few years ago when I was super tempted to buy a 323i that had a 2.7i swapped in. Was CA legal and everything. Wouldve been a fun car I think. The E21 is known to be a tail happy car, but I dont know if its a controllable tail happy car like a E30 is

Hard to say.

E21's are still that sort of bastard stepchild forever stuck in between the 2002 and the E30. There was only so much Alpina could do with the chassis at the time and even modern reviews of the old B6 2.8 in the E21 express their disappointment when compared to the comparable E30 model. Most of it of course is related to the rear suspension design..

You can still find a lot of the E21 Alpina bits on the open market for cheap, and I have yet to see the prices of them reach E30 based models.

All that being said, they are still an Alpina and as such will hold their value. Considering there was never and "M3" E21 model to steal the spotlight, time may prove the Alpina models the version to collect.

I still have a bit of a soft spot for them since my first BMW was an E21. I'd be surprised if the auction breaks 20K..
        2016 Ford Flex

Comment

I think the one that they linked to sold for ~15k and I think it might've been cleaner, however it wasnt a CA legal car. I think 15-20k is still a lot of money for a E21
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Agree.

But then again, 5 years ago, 40k was a lot for an M3. I guess it just depends on where you are in life. If you've got the means to store something for a decade, you can stand over paying now and maybe be rewarded then. It's like buying bonds I guess, but my broker probably wouldn't get behind me "investing" in older Bimmer's. Not to mention my wife still doesn't understand it either..
            2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Another M3 added, this time a well prepared race car
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Someone's going to get a great track toy in that one.

I also really like the E28 with the LS swap. That would be a great car to just cruise around in I have to say..

Getting back to the E21 though, man the wheels are falling off that auction. I wonder if it's too far gone to save from a rare parts perspective now.
                2016 Ford Flex

Comment

45 min to go on the alpina c2 and its at 13,750

Comment

Originally posted by iXguido View Post
                    45 min to go on the alpina c2 and its at 13,750
                    This one should sell for a lot more than that.
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Sold for $34,000 ... Original Rare must feel dumb. Market is speaking
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Sold for $34,000 ... Original Rare must feel dumb. Market is speaking
                        Okay, now I have to ask...how in the hell did the 4 door Alpina pull $63k?!
                        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Simple, you had two guys who really, really wanted it!

Problem was, as soon as that happened, all the dealers saw $$$ and rushed theirs out to auctions. Market appeared flooded, and so bidders started setting a more reasonable limit.

Bring a trailer in its rush to become mostly an auction site has been helping to create artificial bubbles within it's own user base. They are constantly allowing auctions concurrently or overlapping with cars targeted at the same audience. It happened/happens constantly with Porsche models, the Alpinas and the now it seems the M3's.

So the best bet is to be the first auction of a particular model/series, otherwise, wait until you are.

I know most people seem to play nice or not get too ruffled when two e30 M3's are running at the same time, but if I was the seller, I'd be pissed.

Even if one model is a pristine 50k example and the other is a stripped and caged track car, they do affect each other's bids.
                          2016 Ford Flex

Comment

I was one of the two guys who finally forced Bring A Trailer to take down the auction for the 2007 BMW 116i after we uncovered the car was actually a stolen leased car currently still owned by BMW Financial. No matter how much evidence they had that the listing was fraudulent and a huge risk to any potential buyer, they still pushed ahead with it for days until we posted proof they just couldn't ignore anymore. Instead of thanking me for the help, they quietly changed my account to moderate before posting status without so much as a notification, and now I can't post anything with it being approved, edited, or deleted by their moderators.

I was a fan of theirs, and even listed a car of mine with them before their auction format launched, but I think you'd be crazy to think their listings are special at this point.

Comment

^wow! I didn't know about this until I read your post. What a shit show.

As far as bat is concerned, I've been saying for months now that those dingleberries started out with good intentions, but they are in well over their heads. They don't know what they are doing. Everything is so arbitrary. It's like a bunch of little napoleons sitting on top of of their automotive Internet fiefdom.

They won't be replacing eBay any time soon.
                              sigpic
                              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

..not to mention there is a lot of "regulars" now posting cars in the Auctions. Too many auctions and too little unique/rare/crazy car "articles."
                                2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Working...
                                X