Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we get a sneak peak at the parts list? Sure there will be plenty of interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post

On an unrelated note- How angry does BaT get about being a dick in the comments?

I’ve only seen them step in a handful of times to police the comments. But I also have noticed there is beginning to be more discontent from posters.

From what I get (mind you I have been on BAT for almost 8 years now - long before the auctions started) you’ve got a few types of commentators on the site:

The old farts - those of us who miss the old site and just want to see cool cars and hear/see stories about them. Often times they ramble on about history or lost facts and in general are just there.

The scorekeepers - people who have joined BAT after the auctions started and only care about seeing the final bid amount of the car (no matter the brand). They view it as a game or sport.

The neighsayers - the ones who think this whole auction thing is purely a money grab and that BAT will whore itself out so long as the list fee is paid and clicks are gained.

The secret handshake crowd - sellers or apologist who only know BAT as a marketplace to get the best value for a car and want to see it continue to build bubbles and see no harm in inflated values. They don’t think anyone with a negative comment should be allowed and just ignore dissenting opinions. Mostly these are dealers and/or are people who have joined strictly to sell a car in the last few years.

Comments usually fall in one of those buckets, but commenters can bounce between them as well. I find myself often looking at peoples join date after reading comments, and see that my suspicions were usually correct on the type of user they are.

Unfortunately, you’re seeing a lot of sellers who would rather most of the comments go away. Find them a burden to wade through just so they can cash out at the highest value.

It’s like someone who has an Action Comics #1, but dreads having to go to a comic book store or convention to try and sell it because they’ll have to deal with all the “nerds” who they perceive as no money to buy it.

It’s turned in to a dog & pony show where you have everyone trying to flaunt how much money they have by their bids or what cars they have, whereas before it was more that people flaunted knowledge or past experiences with these older or rare cars.

For me, I’d much rather hear some interesting story or tidbit like what it takes to restore an old Jaguar E-type, or what it was like to drive an MG across country with the dark lord (Lucas electronics) as your copilot, vs someone just rattling off all the cars they own and probably never have driven.

There are still sections of BAT that are like the old site, but they continually bury it deeper and deeper in the menu, you can’t even access it anymore from the home page it seems. The emails bury the old categories way at the bottom (below the comment of the day and yesterday’s auction results.. way, way, down).

I have noticed some of the commentators popping up on the other German autos for sale blog I subscribe to, which is nice.

1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
        Unfortunately, you’re seeing a lot of sellers who would rather most of the comments go away. Find them a burden to wade through
        I agree with this portion of your novel. There are so many, dumb ass, regular commenters there. A few in particular that whine on almost every ad "oh, I so wish I could buy this" or "I'm really tempted to bid", just shut the fuck up already. Then you get the regulars (sometimes the same ones as aforementioned), that ask the stupidest questions, just trying to stir the pot, for no real good reason.

Anyway, it's Saturday and I don't want to be working out in the cold right now. Grunpy old man is going back to work. Auf wiedersehen...
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Excellent overview djjerme. Although I’m not a dealer I have two cars that I’m interested in selling and the markup on them on BAT is huge so I find myself trapped between the “protect the bubble” camp and being a skeptic. There are some cars that show an easy 5k premium between craigslist in Texas and the final bid. I can see how a savvy small dealer could spend his time exploiting this.
          Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
          COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Hmmm.... sitting for almost 20yrs. No compression #s.

Bid for the chance to own a 1989 BMW S14 Engine w/ Gearbox at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #15,247.

Comment

It’s a core motor.

That’s what I’d bid on it as. Very minimal, you’d want to pull it apart and rering it.

2016 Ford Flex

Comment

$6 grand for the seats....
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  I could buy brand new 458 seats for that price....

Comment

That alone should send a message to BMW that they need to take them off the NLA list.

Even given the extremely limited niche market, I bet over 1/2 of the remaining E30M3s out there would buy new seats if they could, (and a bunch of regular E30 owners) especially if you could buy them with upholstery options.

BMW Mobile Tradition is so blind
                    Jimmy P.
                    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                    92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                    98 318Ti Morea Green
                    04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
                      That alone should send a message to BMW that they need to take them off the NLA list.

Even given the extremely limited niche market, I bet over 1/2 of the remaining E30M3s out there would buy new seats if they could, (and a bunch of regular E30 owners) especially if you could buy them with upholstery options.

BMW Mobile Tradition is so blind

^ This x 10,000.

Comment

I’d rather have the dashes available before seats. For $1600, I can get seats redone in whatever I want locally. What you can’t get is dash “uncracked.”

2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Recovered M3 seats right? Lol crazy.
                          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Outside of the horizontal stitching is there any actual physical difference in the standard sport seat vs the m3 front seats?

Comment

Originally posted by brads2002 View Post
                              Outside of the horizontal stitching is there any actual physical difference in the standard sport seat vs the m3 front seats?
                              No. It's actually the same as a vert seat.

My buddy and I were looking closely at the pictures, and the fronts look like an early model frame. It's slightly different mechanism. Also, the seat belt receivers look like the early style - and pretty beat up. Someone else noted that the shocks hadn't been replaced.

So basically, they paid 6K for new skins and a M3 rear seat. The rear seat is the only M3 unique thing...

Again, it's silly considering you could have a local shop produce the same results for half that amount.
                              2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Yep, essentially outside of the new upholstery which could be re-created in anytown USA, any value is that E30M3 rear foam.

I really want to put together an alternate interior for my street M3, but I also want a 2nd set of core seats to use. That rear foam is the killer
                                Jimmy P.
                                87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                                88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                                88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                                92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                                98 318Ti Morea Green
                                04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Working...
                                X