Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does BMW love floor-mounted throttle pedals so much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does BMW love floor-mounted throttle pedals so much?

I've thought about this a few times before and never really came up with a great answer, so I thought I'd see if someone else has one. There isn't a huge difference in the performance of a hanging pedal vs. a floor-mounted one I suppose, except perhaps in feel and/or geometry through the pedal's sweep, but a floor-mounted pedal does bring a couple unfortunate side-effects like rust at the mounting location. Interestingly, BMW has used the same basic design since the 2002. Some thoughts I had were possibly cost and/or packaging, but those are just guesses. Any ideas?
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

I prefer them over a hanging pedal, plus BMW has always been spot on for the placement for heel-toe. Every BMW I have ever driven has the same exact pedal feel and has similar wheel distance (or able to move there). Just put an LS1 in a Mercedes w210 and mimicked (for the most part) and e30 pedal setup using the Camaro pedal box which has a hanging accelerator, not nearly as comfortable/fluid heel toe.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Think about the relative angles of motion if you wanted the vertical angles of a floor hinged pedal in a top mounted one. Seems to me that the top mounted one would be likely to interfere with the floor pan before achieving the amount of travel most MFRs like to have.

This seems directly related to difficult heel toe angles FF wrote about above.

Comment

I've honestly never been too happy with the floor mounted gas pedal. I find this car much less intuitive to heel-toe than my RX-7's where (both FC and FD) with their hanging gas pedal. I have to more toe-toe instead of heel-toe if that makes sense.
        1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
        1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
        bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

^^^Yes, rolling the foot is the most efficient "heel toe" IMO. I use the ball of my right to modulate brake, then roll my small toe over to the accelerator whenever possible. Makes me feel awkward moving the heel over, but do it when needed.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

...because your ankle is floor- hinged?

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

The best bmws have all the pedals floor hinged.
              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

When the accelerator pedal is top-hinged, the ball of your foot will slide on it as your foot articulates down and the pedal articulates up and back. So obviously it's to minimize the potential for wear spots on the pedal and/or your shoes.
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Because it moves as your ankle does? Idk I like it though
                  Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                    ^^^Yes, rolling the foot is the most efficient "heel toe" IMO. I use the ball of my right to modulate brake, then roll my small toe over to the accelerator whenever possible.
                    Exactly. Feels so much more natural.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

The new civics (by new I mean 2006+) have floor mounted pedals too. Personally I enjoy it, although it does take a little getting used to.

Comment

If it ain't broke don't fix it, It just works so well
                        sigpic
                        1991 318is x 2 .

Comment

Because you can't get your foot jammed under it.
                          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

ergonomics, more comfortable than having your foot in the air. It can rest on the floor

The bit that has always pissed me off is its hard as a mother fucker to get a vacuum in and around the base of it. I basically have to blow all the sand out with an air gun on my E90
                            Boris - 89 E30 325i
                            84- E30 323i

Comment

Some very thought-provoking responses, thanks guys. I've personally always preferred the feel of a hanging pedal and hadn't run into the issues mentioned, but I can see how those could occur.
                              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
                              X