No announcement yet.

m60 vs s52 vs ford 5.0 vs LS1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about m54 instead of s52? Pretty much the same power, more unique, easier/cheaper to find one, and lighter. Throw on a supercharger for more power
    My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_M View Post
      Ah a s54 isnt that heavy and is basically like an s52 install wise with the exception of the brake booster. That's assuming you use an e34 pan and go third party on the wire harness and ecu tune. It's much more proven than any ls1 swap. But the v8s are super cool no matter which one you go with. Can't go wrong either way if fun is the goal.

The s54 only adds a small amount of cash and complication over an s52 but still has everyday driver potential and 400hp potential without boost and still using a bmw engine.
      generally the engine costs a lot more. the trans costs a lot more. the tune really costs a lot more.

everything else is priced similar.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

swap tunes for the S54 are not expensive. They haven't been for years. You can even DIY.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
          I don't know if you're talking about a S52 or M62
          lulz

Originally posted by Luke_M View Post
          Ah a s54 isnt that heavy and is basically like an s52 install wise with the exception of the brake booster. That's assuming you use an e34 pan and go third party on the wire harness and ecu tune. It's much more proven than any ls1 swap. But the v8s are super cool no matter which one you go with. Can't go wrong either way if fun is the goal.

The s54 only adds a small amount of cash and complication over an s52 but still has everyday driver potential and 400hp potential without boost and still using a bmw engine.
          Didn't know you could use an e34 pan in these. I'm assuming that negates the notching of the front subframe?

Originally posted by nando View Post
          swap tunes for the S54 are not expensive. They haven't been for years. You can even DIY.
          Didn't know there was an option under like $1k, even if its not what product would you recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
            From someone who has done a v8 swap, keep an inline 6 in there and add boost.

The engine is capable of every bit of power an lsx is, more power than a 302 block will hold, and you don't have to alter the vehicle.
            I don't want a boosted car. Just something NA that I can get around 250 to 300 hp out of. I want usable power that isn't going o require crazy experience with throttle control. I'm not cool/experienced enough for that, been driving nothing but m20 e30's my entire life. hahaha

Comment

Sounds like you've already made your decision. My best 32v swap advice is to read a shitload before you start buying parts. Buy Frank's swap guide, read all the threads here and elsewhere (via Google) and then start pulling the trigger.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
              Transaction feedback
              - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by Brezzi View Post
                lulz

Didn't know you could use an e34 pan in these. I'm assuming that negates the notching of the front subframe?

Didn't know there was an option under like $1k, even if its not what product would you recommend?
                I can flash it for $300. ;)
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                  Sounds like you've already made your decision. My best 32v swap advice is to read a shitload before you start buying parts. Buy Frank's swap guide, read all the threads here and elsewhere (via Google) and then start pulling the trigger.
                  Pretty much and that was totally my plan

but then this guy comes in saything things like that lol. and s54 would make me giggle way to much to look the other way if you really can get a tune for $300 and you don't need to notch the front frame.

Comment

And the harnesses aren't that much more than an S52 harness. Same engine arms, same mounts, same zf320 trans, same oil cooler (if you so choose) same radiator (I recommend an Z3 S54 Behr unit).

You do have the brake booster delete (a few hundred $$$) and a DBW pedal. Not sure on the headers. And you do have potential rod bearings and vanos issues which up's the ante with an S54 swap. But you could theoretically put those off until later if money was tight.

Point is, at this point in time S54's aren't THAT much more to install and they have great support. 330hp to start and 390ish just cat less headers and a custom tune. If you're barely able to afford an S52 then the S54 is probably not for you but it's not crazy money these days. Hopefully that makes sense. I personally wouldn't do an S52 over an S54 unless money was just really tight, or I happened to have an S52 to swap in or just wanted to be conservative.

That said, I saw some M60/M62 swapped e30's and they were mean as shit. Lot's of torque and just sounded plain cool. A bmw n/a I6 is more keeping with the spirit of an e30 and bMw IMO but that's not really something to argue. Either you feel that or you don't.

And yes, an e34 pan negates the notched subframe. On paper a rear sump is really nice. Less need for a skidplate etc, but the e34 still works and is super proven on track to keep oil pressure up.
                    Last edited by Luke_M; 10-24-2016, 02:51 PM.
                    Euro S50 Daily Driver: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=279195

Comment

I say LS1 because you will get used to and bored with <300whp. If there was was any real mod potential with the bmw v8s, then I would be all over it cuz I think its cool to stay bmw engine with the e30. but at the end of the day, you cant argue with cam only LS motors putting 350whp without breaking a sweat. Also, if you go with an actual LS1, you will end with a much better weight distribution.
                      '87 BMW 325i - ground control c/o, condor bushings, 16x8/16x9 wheels - SOLD

'09 MazdaSpeed 3 - FOR SALE

Comment

So what about a small block Ford with aluminum heads and cam vs a 5.3/4.8 iron block LS with valve springs and cam? What about an old school small block Chevy?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                        = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

M60s are cheap, plentiful, and sound amazing. Great option if you're not looking for crazy power. I don't think you'd want much more power for carving twisties

Comment

Have you ever driven an s52 swapped e30?
                            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                              Have you ever driven an s52 swapped e30?
                              Yes. My friend has a very healthy, tuned S52 car with 3.46 rear end. That car was awesome. It was properly fast. Haven't driven it in a year because I moved but I can remember how it was. I had a built 7200rpm Cammed m30 car with pretty good weight reduction as well and that was super fun. But before I decided on building an m30 I picked up a 302 and was going to do a V8 build instead. V8 E30 is my dream car and my next e30 build will have a V8. M60s are cool but no bolts ons kinda sucks. I'd like a lopey cam, 7,000 rpm and 350hp to play with. I could build a 331 stroker or 302 to that level pretty easily.

= Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

Originally posted by totheredline View Post
                                So what about a small block Ford with aluminum heads and cam vs a 5.3/4.8 iron block LS with valve springs and cam? What about an old school small block Chevy?

A 302 Ford (stroked preferably) isn't that much heavier than an LS but old iron block SBCs are heavy. Friggin boat anchors, bad choice for a car as light as an E30, fine for a 3,000lb+ American car. A 347 stroker Ford is a decent choice but by the time you are making LS power and have a good manual transmission setup that isn't weak, you are spending close to LS money. May as well have the LS. Iron block truck engines people call "LS" are not a true "LS" technically speaking, they may be a cheap way to make some power but the extra weight just isn't good with a 2,800lb car.
                                Last edited by varg; 04-22-2017, 08:23 AM.

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                [CoTM: 4-18]
                                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                                - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
                                X