No announcement yet.

I do not like 'new' BMWs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 08 Benz C350 isnt bad for a 'new' car.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

For me different brands have specific years i won't want to buy newer than.

BMW:2002
      Mercedes:1993
      Jeep1993
      Land Rover: 1994
      Jag: 1999
      Porsche: 1999
      Ferrari/lambo/aston/maserati/alfa/lancia (if i ever can) 1993
      All japanese: 1999
      All french: 1995
      Pretty much if it started production after 1999, i dont want it at this point in my life.
      Ive had one new car in my life (2014). It convinced me that i dont like new cars.

Also, it feels very violating having random people drive my cars. No valet for me, would rather park myself.

Comment

I have a new (2017) 530i, it has incredible tech and safety features. The steering is very light. The quality and level of luxury is amazing.

Having said that, my favorite of the 4 BMWs I've owned was my first, a 1990 325i coupe with manual transmission and no options.

Comment

Originally posted by sonomabimmers View Post
          I love how I got called out for my "character" yet you guys are talking about beating me up and telling me to get fucked to someone over the internet I didn't threaten or insult anyone . Internet is funny. Good day all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Unless a post was deleted, I don't see anyone threatening to beat you up.

Comment

I'd beat him up.

He reminds me of me when I was 16 and I'd beat the shit out of past me.
            world renown Harry Potter expert
            sigpic

Comment

What are you really doing in a valet situation that allows you to understand anything beyond seat position in any car. I hope nothing, because I would fuck you up if you did it to mine .[/QUOTE]

Asshole threatening me over the Internet. I love this generation.

i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by sonomabimmers View Post

Asshole threatening me over the Internet. I love this generation.

Out of curiosity, which generation do you assume he's from and which generation are you from?
                Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

I do not like 'new' BMWs

Back on topic:
                  My wife just bought a 2007 Mini Cooper S 6-speed manual. This is a relatively modern car and is very fun to drive. Seems like lots of people yearning for a fun small BMW aren't looking in the right place. Check out the smallest cars BMW makes before saying all modern BMW's are soulless appliances. A MINI should be a part of that discussion.

R135 /// 1990 Alpinweiß II 325is
                  └┼┼┘ /// 1993 Black/Black Convertible (sold)

Comment

***College-aged Millenial weighing in***

Personally, I have always felt this way about modern cars in general... And I'll do my best to never own a BMW (at least) newer than the E46/E53 gen., But that's just me. I have complete and total bias, coming from a family that has owned and driven nothing but 5 speed e30's and e36's since the 80's... And of course, my uncle, the rebel, who bought his current X5 in 2002.

I've been to the dealership a few times to pick up parts, and since it isn't exactly the most local place, I try to look at all of the newest models they have. After I shoo away the sales team and get some alone time to inspect the small details of the new cars, I'm not impressed. It's almost sad for me to think about how such a performance-rooted company fell into the trap of what it is now
                    ...But you can't blame them. Adapt or get run over, that's how business works. We all know that drivers of modern cars don't give a shit about what they drive as long as they have cold AC, Bluetooth radio, and can slap their gearshift into 'D' for a 10 minute trip to WalMart. This person could be driving a BMW or a Honda and it wouldn't make a darn bit of difference.

It would be bad business for BMW to produce cars geared toward enthusiasts, because there aren't enough enthusiasts with puchasing power left, and with the way things are going, there won't be hardly any new enthusiasts in the future. Could they try a pilot model, say a really bare bones enthusiast series? Sure... But testing, saftey regs, design, production... It's all very expensive, and it wouldn't make sense to take such a gamble, even for a massive, wealthy company.
                    That said, I'd love to see what the 2 series is like since that seems to be the most E30ish of the current lineup... And to be honest, the Toyota 86 seems to have the bases well covered for a modern enthusiast sports car.

If someone offered me a straight up trade, my E30 for their new i8... I'm keeping my E30. Maybe I'm stupid, but it doesn't phase me.

/Rant.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
                    (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
                      ***College-aged Millenial weighing in***

Personally, I have always felt this way about modern cars in general... And I'll do my best to never own a BMW (at least) newer than the E46/E53 gen., But that's just me. I have complete and total bias, coming from a family that has owned and driven nothing but 5 speed e30's and e36's since the 80's... And of course, my uncle, the rebel, who bought his current X5 in 2002.

I've been to the dealership a few times to pick up parts, and since it isn't exactly the most local place, I try to look at all of the newest models they have. After I shoo away the sales team and get some alone time to inspect the small details of the new cars, I'm not impressed. It's almost sad for me to think about how such a performance-rooted company fell into the trap of what it is now
                      ...But you can't blame them. Adapt or get run over, that's how business works. We all know that drivers of modern cars don't give a shit about what they drive as long as they have cold AC, Bluetooth radio, and can slap their gearshift into 'D' for a 10 minute trip to WalMart. This person could be driving a BMW or a Honda and it wouldn't make a darn bit of difference.

It would be bad business for BMW to produce cars geared toward enthusiasts, because there aren't enough enthusiasts with puchasing power left, and with the way things are going, there won't be hardly any new enthusiasts in the future. Could they try a pilot model, say a really bare bones enthusiast series? Sure... But testing, saftey regs, design, production... It's all very expensive, and it wouldn't make sense to take such a gamble, even for a massive, wealthy company.
                      That said, I'd love to see what the 2 series is like since that seems to be the most E30ish of the current lineup... And to be honest, the Toyota 86 seems to have the bases well covered for a modern enthusiast sports car.

If someone offered me a straight up trade, my E30 for their new i8... I'm keeping my E30. Maybe I'm stupid, but it doesn't phase me.

/Rant.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
                      Much love and I share very similar philosophies.

Mr. Wolfe
                      sigpic

Comment

Thats pretty much what Porsche did with the 911r. They built a car for the enthusiast of the older 911's. Its got the NA engine with a conventional 5 OR 6 spd gear box cant remember for sure. I'm sure if BMW did the same it would be a hit like the Porsche

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                          Out of curiosity, which generation do you assume he's from and which generation are you from?
                          Well, he's a Valet. I think its easy to guess about how old he is.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                            Thats pretty much what Porsche did with the 911r. They built a car for the enthusiast of the older 911's. Its got the NA engine with a conventional 5 OR 6 spd gear box cant remember for sure. I'm sure if BMW did the same it would be a hit like the Porsche

...what about the Miata. That is purely an enthusiast car, and has managed to remain mostly true to that audience.

1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                            2016 Ford Flex
                            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              Well, he's a Valet. I think its easy to guess about how old he is.
                              You know what they say about assuming...

:p
                              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                                ...what about the Miata. That is purely an enthusiast car, and has managed to remain mostly true to that audience.

You have got a point there. I do like how Mazda has sort shoo'd away the regular people and focused toward the group of enthusiast who truly do love the car. I will say this though I am willing to bet pricing has a big part of it. The new mx5 starts at 24,599 MSRP. You'd be lucky to find a newer BMW thats not a base model for that price

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Working...
                                X