Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:o
    Originally posted by TheWipprSnappr View Post
    i mean they basically turned it into a corolla. I was just using it as an example of conformity that i dont think bmw has reached. Actually now that I bring that up, i think the corolla itself might actually be a better example seeing that it was once a driver's car in its own right
    What do you think a Dart was in 1970? It was a cheap, "compact" commuter car. Sure, some were hopped up, but the vast majority were just boring sedans.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

That's a good point. I guess i never really look at it that way. With cars that old I kind of forget they were once the "new cars" that people like us of that time period were probably questioning. When it comes down to it though, I would still say I like older styling better than new and the raw, connected driving experience.
      1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
      1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
      E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
        I find these threads tiring for most of the reasons Nando pointed out. Mostly whining about new cars by people who aren't going to buy them and aren't the target demographic.
        100%

I like my both f30 and my e30. What you give up in a little steering feedback, you get back tenfold in practicality, comfort, economy, and realistically performance. The e30 is still more of a drivers car, but the f30 is actually good at being a car and living with. All for less than the cost of a new f-150 with some options, if youre actually in the market and shopping.

Plus i think people loose sight of the fact that the majority of older BMWs on this board have had tons of upgrades, and people confusing bumpsteer for steering feedback, and aggressive alignments. Drive a bone stock 318 vs a bone stock modern 320, and both are a little wheezy and soft. Likewise, ditching the run flats and getting a slightly more aggresive alignment does wake up the later cars a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          Drive a bone stock 318 vs a bone stock modern 320, and both are a little wheezy and soft.
          When I first got my E30, that was one thing I noticed. The steering was REALLY light. Overly so. It was better after I lowered it, maybe even going a bit too far the other way.

Comment

I have to step in and stand up for my F30 as well. As a proud owner of both an E30 and F30 I love both cars. Is the E30 more fun to drive? Yes it is, but the F30 is pretty damn close. To be clear I have a 16 340i M Sport. From what I hear the LCI update stiffened up the chassis and steering and as a result it's a pure joy to drive. It's also the fastest car I've ever owned.

Coming from a lifetime of driving Japanese cars only, I can honestly say that making the switch to German cars was one of the best decisions I've made. What solidfied it was returning my Lexus GS350 F Sport lease after a month of driving the F30. The GS felt like a barge!

Finally, I don't get all the hate on the newer BMW styling. I think the F30 is a great looking car. And to be honest, I was never a fan of the E36, E46 (M3 being the exception) or the E90 styling.
            90 Bronzit 325is
            16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

When I spoke above, I was speaking solely of driving dynamics and fun to drive. I did not take into consideration of comfort, fuel economy, etc. I personally rank them:

e46
              e30/e36
              e92
              f8x

I guess I should specify that I am referring to ///M cars.

My CSL'd e46M is about as raw as you can get for a street car. After years and years of owning these cars and modifying it the way I like, I can honestly say it is the best car I have ever driven.

As for "wanting to own forever", give me the e46 and e30. That's all I need from BMW.

Mr. Wolfe
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by laidback93 View Post
                Finally, I don't get all the hate on the newer BMW styling. I think the F30 is a great looking car. And to be honest, I was never a fan of the E36, E46 (M3 being the exception) or the E90 styling.
                I like the F30 also, but only with the M sport bumper. One thing that really pleases me is how the kidney grill connects with the headlight assembly, which I think is reminiscent of how the e30 grill and headlight assembly intersect the kidney grill.
                My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                  I think the e82 128i was the last of the pure, fun to drive BMWs and I'm kicking myself for not buying one back in 2013. It was compact, had nimble handling, and had the last of the naturally-aspirated in-line 6s. No turbos or direct injection crap to deal with. They have future cult car written all over them.
                  I'm with you on this one. The E82 128i coupe with manual is really the only modern BMW I really desire. Family members currently have (or use to have) E46s, E90s, F30s, and even F10 5-series. I've driven all of them. While there are nice luxuries and refinement to them, they all feel isolated compared to older 3-series....namely the E30 and E36. I haven't driven an E82 yet, and I suspect there's some of that modern BMW trait carried over into this entry level model....but it is the most compact and lightest coupe in recent years (the Z4 coupe notwithstanding).

For me, an E82 128i with a mild suspension upgrade, square wheel/tire set up, and a 3-stage DISA manifold conversion with software to wake up some extra power would make for an awesome dual purpose car. Really clean, well maintained ones are tough to find....but they exist. The enthusiasts that own one know what they got on their hands.

Jon
                  Rides...
                  1991 325i - sold :(
                  2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Wolfe View Post
                    When I spoke above, I was speaking solely of driving dynamics and fun to drive. I did not take into consideration of comfort, fuel economy, etc. I personally rank them:

e46
                    e30/e36
                    e92
                    f8x

I guess I should specify that I am referring to ///M cars.

My CSL'd e46M is about as raw as you can get for a street car. After years and years of owning these cars and modifying it the way I like, I can honestly say it is the best car I have ever driven.

As for "wanting to own forever", give me the e46 and e30. That's all I need from BMW.

Mr. Wolfe

I agree with all this so much, love the e30 for driving but my 04 zhp is way better for comfort and everyday driving especially the AC that kicks that austin heats ass, and it also is a absolute blast to drive. Other than that the new bmws do not get me excited. De-badge a new Accord sport and a four door e90 and it looks the same. I do valet and i drive a wide variety of these new bmws from m3s to 320i's and they all have no feeling in them, no soul. With the exception of the E82 135 which is the "new e46 " imho and the new x5s i just love them especially the x5m. Damn and the e90 335is because it reminds me of the e36 328is. Other than that Bmw has lost its way
                    i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleman View Post
                      In general I agree, but there are a few bright spots in the current line-up. I would like to thrash a new 2 series around a track sometime. It is about the same size as an E30, and I understand BMW put a conscious effort into keeping it simple (by today's standards anyway). I'll take an M2 manual please.

M2/240 Series is not the same size as an E30, the E30 is tiny compared to most modern BMWs, they went after the E46 dimensions with that car and pretty much dead on.

I dont understand the not liking the E46 M3, its still one of my favorite of all the series, it wasnt as big as the E9x, had a way better interior and performance then the E36.

That being said I like them both new and old. If you want a car that is super connected to the road that you feel like your driving a go cart, well that wont happen to much anymore because except for a handful of people on this site no one would buy them.

Hell the E30 M3 sat in show rooms and they did not sell when they were new, because to the average driver they were harsh, you and you had to beat on them to get any performance out of them, they are cult status now but back then the average consumer was eh.

Someone else pointed out these cars were always somewhat of a status symbol in the US, the yuppie mobile was in full force back in the 80's, look at every teen movie and see who was driving them. BMW even ran an add for the Ultimate Tanning Machine when they debuted the E30 Vert.

There are a lot of great things about the new cars, they are fast, quiet, and can turn in lap times that the older ones couldnt even dream of, but there are annoyances too, the naming conversions suck, and while the engines have amazing HP and TQ numbers i enjoy driving their NA brothers much better.

I have owned a version of every 3 series made, two of the E9x and E46 versions and they all have their merits. My fav out of all is still the E46, but there are things I wouldn't give up in the newer cars either, especially the engine note of my S65, I think I will keep that car forever just for that sound.

BMW is a mass produced car company, they need to appeal to the masses to stay in business, they still make crazy cars the M4 GTS is awesome, you just have to pay for it.
                      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

This is one of those "beating a dead horse" type of threads.
                        world renown Harry Potter expert
                        sigpic

Comment

the horse deserved what it got
                          cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                            the horse deserved what it got
                            if you were a horse I would nurture you back to health and allow you to roam in my fertile pastures for the rest of your days.
                            world renown Harry Potter expert
                            sigpic

Comment

:oops:

;D
                              cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                                if you were a horse I would nurture you back to health and allow you to roam in my fertile pastures for the rest of your days.
                                Don't forget mandatory "horsing around" time before each meal and if one of you needs to stretch his legs.
                                Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
                                X