Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone familiar with Mitsubishi Lancers - 2008 GTS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone familiar with Mitsubishi Lancers - 2008 GTS?

Hey guys...

I'm finally getting into a position where I can get another vehicle and garage my E30 over the winter. I got the chance to possibly pick up a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer with around 180K on it - it's a GTS trim. He's asking around $4K, but I haven't had the chance to give the car a good once over yet (I do have mechanical skills).

Anyone here have any thoughts, experience, tips what I should be looking for when I do get a good look at it? From my anecdotal evidence, I've heard they are decent daily cars and the maintenance schedule doesn't look too bad.

Thanks!
    Estoguy
    1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

They seem to be reliable, and do operate decently even if neglected, but they are not fun, terribly efficient, highly practical, or properly rust-proofed, nor do they have any special features that really elevates a Lancer over other 11 year old cars at $4,000 IMO.

I would definitely direct your attention to a 318ti if looking for a practical/inexpensive DD, or perhaps a Forester/Legacy wagon if you need additional space and are willing to sacrifice fuel economy.

Comment

Appreciate the advice! I've been curious about Mitsubishi, as I've always liked the look of the Lancer, but haven't known anyone with one before.

Any other car suggestions are welcome as well. ;)
      Estoguy

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Never had one, but my co-worker owned one and he was not impressed with its snow handling. In fact, his car slid into a telephone pole going around the curve slowly in the snow. It was a $3000 mistake.

Comment

In my opinion, if you are looking to garage the E30 over the winter, I'd focus on acquiring a car with 4wd/awd for the snow.

I was in a similar boat to you several years ago. Originally went with an XJ (which was a big mistake in hindsight) but ended up going with a reliable Toyota pickup.

Just my two cents.
          My previous build (currently E30-less)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

My ex had a mitzi. After working on it for a while, i can say that i hate anything from that manufacturer with the very fiber of my being. On the plus side, the clutch slave is really easy to change. Everything else sux big sweatty horse dick. A 6 banger spark plug change? 3 are a breeze. The 3 against the firewall....good luck fucker!

Id buy a lezbaru if i were in your shoes.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

You could get an okay E46 for that kind of money. Why not look into a 325Xi or 330i? The M54 isn't as unreliable of a motor as some people make it out to be once you get the cooling system squared away and address VANOS seals.

Pretty stout cars if looked after, and fun, too. I'm looking into E46s and E39s for daily duty.
              "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
              The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Blech - unless it's an Evo, what a pile of shit. Anyone remember the Lancer Evo Oz Rallye Edition? Slow as an M10 318 automatic and ugly as a base model Mitsubishi - and most of them seemed to be puke yellow. and 180k miles for $4,000? you can do better..
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  Blech - unless it's an Evo, what a pile of shit. Anyone remember the Lancer Evo Oz Rallye Edition? Slow as an M10 318 automatic and ugly as a base model Mitsubishi - and most of them seemed to be puke yellow. and 180k miles for $4,000? you can do better..
                  One of my high school buddies had that exact car. It was terrible.
                  My previous build (currently E30-less)
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

My buddy had an 08 Evo. It was powerful and all the rest but overall was a POS.

He then "upgraded" to the Mitsu SUV outlander??? when he had kids. Anyway, that was an even bigger POS. His wife complained about stuff always breaking and the overall crappiness of it.

He ended up trading on a Honda Odyssey and has never looked back.
                    I found this strange as he has years of experience with Hondas and Acura.
                    Why he went to Mitsu I'll never know
                    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Mitsubishi cars are the Japanese equivalent of Chrysler. Avoid.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                        Mitsubishi cars are the Japanese equivalent of Chrysler. Avoid.
                        IIRC Mitsubishi and Chrysler built several cars in the past including the Starion, and Colt
                        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                          IIRC Mitsubishi and Chrysler built several cars in the past including the Starion, and Colt
                          Mitsubishi 3000 GT was a very decent car.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys... actually, something more familiar has come into the picture...

Guy down the road is selling a 2008 Golf City with about 228K km for $1600. Not sure if the US got these cars... It's basically a MKIV with different front and back end pieces, which I've owned before and had few problems with. 2.0L, 4 banger... those engines were pretty bullet proof. I'm checking it out tomorrow.
                            Estoguy

Comment

Yeah, I had a 2000 Jetta with the similar 2.0L and it was a good car. It's got some hopefully minor issues... need to borrow my buddy's VAG-COM to check a couple things out, but I was pretty happy with what I saw. Would definitely be a decent beater.

Boy is that clutch lighter than I remember though! I almost put my foot through the floor on the first press. Gotten so used to the much heavier E30 clutch. LOL
                              Estoguy

Comment

Working...
                              X