Turning point for e30s?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by varg
    That's impressive. I never saw much over 20mpg with my Turbo M42.
    Only getting 26/27 in my stock M42 with a 4.44 rear end, not bad, but not great. Think I got more like 29 with the 4.10.

    I do love the 500+ mile range in my E39 530i, but never considered filling up the E30 or total range restriction to be a hassle.

    Oddly I am bothered by the lack of range and frequent fill ups with my 318ti that has an S52. For reference, it has the same 14.5 gallon tank capacity as small tank E30s.

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    Originally posted by Schnitzer318is
    Post boost was still 28mpg.
    That's impressive. I never saw much over 20mpg with my Turbo M42.

    Leave a comment:


  • Reichart12
    replied
    Originally posted by Schnitzer318is
    I think filling up all the time is a bi-product of the small gas tank more than it is of the mileage though.
    This. I can do twice the mpg in my e30 compared to my truck but the truck has twice the gas tank size so similar stopping points on road trips. Pricewise love filling the e30 up over the truck lol.

    Leave a comment:


  • Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Originally posted by varg
    What are you complaining about? If your car is running right you should be getting in the mid 20s mpg wise. I'm cool with getting ~16mpg average and ~18-19mpg on the highway. That's the price of driving a turbocharged car and not staying out of boost.
    I could get mid 20's out of my m20b27... but low 20's only (highway) in my b25 in the convertible. Average city/hwy of about 18mpg. M42 was awesome pre-boost @ ~35mpg highway. Post boost was still 28mpg.

    I think filling up all the time is a bi-product of the small gas tank more than it is of the mileage though.

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    Originally posted by BaltimoreBimmer
    Does anyone else get tired of constantly filling up your m20? If anything the swap is just more economical... idk if you all are able to keep evap aystems in place etc on the swaps but yeah...I fill up my e30 so god damn much I'm considering a newer car simply to save on gas money. After I had refreshed my m54b25 in my e46 I was putting up 30mpg highway under the right conditions which was nuts considering it was an xi
    What are you complaining about? If your car is running right you should be getting in the mid 20s mpg wise. I'm cool with getting ~16mpg average and ~18-19mpg on the highway. That's the price of driving a turbocharged car and not staying out of boost.

    Leave a comment:


  • Ludwig
    replied
    Originally posted by e30davie
    [...] You can work out what that is in freedom units [...]

    you, i like you.

    Leave a comment:


  • BillBrasky
    replied
    Whew! The title of this thread made me think this was an intervention for me. Turning Point is the name of a local addiction rehab center. I was about to say “fuck all you guys” and run out yelling “you’ll never take all my M Tech and NOS parts!”

    Leave a comment:


  • lukeADE335i
    replied
    Agreed - the M20s aren't that bad.

    Still - now I've bought the 320d as a DD, filling up once every 3 weeks or so is a good thing!

    If you're serious about fuel economy, someone needs to perfect the N47 swap into the e30 :) With 300kg less than an e90 to push around it would be both quick and very cheap to run.

    Been looking at a few stats around the e90 driveline - mechanically the swap wouldn't be that bad, the ratios in the 6 speed manual would work really well with a 3.15 or 3.25 LSD, the X-factor would be electronics of course.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30davie
    replied
    Originally posted by BaltimoreBimmer
    Does anyone else get tired of constantly filling up your m20? If anything the swap is just more economical... idk if you all are able to keep evap aystems in place etc on the swaps but yeah...I fill up my e30 so god damn much I'm considering a newer car simply to save on gas money. After I had refreshed my m54b25 in my e46 I was putting up 30mpg highway under the right conditions which was nuts considering it was an xi
    No excuse for bad fuel economy. Mym20b23 consistently gets around 9L/100km. You can work out what that is in freedom units but its definatly acceptable for a 33yr old 6clr.

    Leave a comment:


  • SubDad
    replied
    I think the kids who used to chop up E30s are settled into Golfs and Subarus.
    Certainly there's been an eruption of fart-can faux WRXs here in salt city.
    The Golfs actually sound pretty good.

    Leave a comment:


  • Staszek
    replied
    Originally posted by BaltimoreBimmer
    Does anyone else get tired of constantly filling up your m20? If anything the swap is just more economical... idk if you all are able to keep evap aystems in place etc on the swaps but yeah...I fill up my e30 so god damn much I'm considering a newer car simply to save on gas money. After I had refreshed my m54b25 in my e46 I was putting up 30mpg highway under the right conditions which was nuts considering it was an xi
    If your engine is working right you should be in the 20's, which sure by today's standards maybe is low but it's not bad. I would take that over the 14 I get in my M3!

    Leave a comment:


  • IRON-E
    replied
    Honestly, I don't *HOON* like others may do, so even when i wasn't swapped, i did ok with gas. Filled up about once every 6 days when i used the e30 to daily for work, putting in 60-70 miles a day on m20 or s50.

    Leave a comment:


  • rturbo 930
    replied
    M20s get low 20s, which isn't exactly bad so... no.

    Leave a comment:


  • BaltimoreBimmer
    replied
    Does anyone else get tired of constantly filling up your m20? If anything the swap is just more economical... idk if you all are able to keep evap aystems in place etc on the swaps but yeah...I fill up my e30 so god damn much I'm considering a newer car simply to save on gas money. After I had refreshed my m54b25 in my e46 I was putting up 30mpg highway under the right conditions which was nuts considering it was an xi

    Leave a comment:


  • varg
    replied
    Originally posted by 82eye
    if you really want to know where things are going you have to look where the cars are already rare and getting scarce.

    cali and the southern states to a degree is a totally distorted market. those markets have always been the final place to be able to find cheap decent examples and the last to realize what was being lost.

    imo the e30 is headed exactly where the datsun 510 went.
    Exactly. Though maybe not exactly where the Datsun 510 went, I think those are more rust prone than E30s, not that E30s don't rust away just fine.

    Leave a comment:

Working...