Turning point for e30s?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • zaq123
    replied
    Originally posted by mtech325
    Some people detest them because they only want numbers matching cars, while others don't care as much about originality, especially if driven on a daily basis.

    I noticed more of WTB posts asking for mint e30 325s with all matching body panel stickers,mint paint, original interior etc. There are probably more e30 m3s out there that fit the requirement than 325s. I don’t think people were buying these cars to keep in the garage, under the cover. It’s 30 year old + car that was used daily...most likely. I’m about to repaint my e30 to give it that “mint” look and guess what, all those all original panel stickers will need to go buy buy.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Leave a comment:


  • LowR3V'in
    replied
    on top of that they include the price of the swap and mods at the crazy e30 going rate. fuck that.
    remember that guy selling his s54 swap for like 40k?

    All you guys are right though. young broke guys can't buy these anymore
    so the appeal of a swap/hella stance flush is not there. more like "ruined".

    Leave a comment:


  • Staszek
    replied
    I think as these get older stock unmolested really good condition cars will go for more than the swap.

    I also think the problem with a lot of swaps is what others have said, they are half ass. They basically drop an engine in and the rest of the car is still junk, old bushings, suspension, rust, interior etc.

    I didn't do mine for resale, I think if I did I would have left it an M20, it would have been a lot easier and cheaper for me to do. I know I have more into it then I will get out, but it was made for me and for the fun I wanted.

    Tasteful swaps should still pull good money, but I think the market is for enthusiasts more than the E30 buyer who is a collector or is buying one to relive their youth and wants a mint original.

    Leave a comment:


  • kronus
    replied
    I think there's still value in a clean, well executed swap. I hope.

    None of you are convincing me to put an M20B23 back into my 323i.

    Leave a comment:


  • TobyB
    replied
    M54b30 is still really worth it, imho. Awfully light for the torque.

    Likewise S54- shit- tons of horsepower just can't be denied.

    But all that hassle for an m52? I agree, originality starts to sound good...

    t
    never though he'd say that about a small 6

    Leave a comment:


  • e30davie
    replied
    Most swapped cars or modified cars i see are butchered to work. (my own included). As hypocritical as it is i don't value messy swapped cars that highly.

    I dunno about USA, but there are alot of 318i cars going up for sale in Australia for ridiculous money. In Australia the 318i comes with the M40 engine (not the m42), i drove one once and it was not inspiring. I am really skeptical if any of these are selling for the asking price. like are people paying ~$10k AUD for a stock M40 car? I hope not.
    Last edited by e30davie; 10-16-2018, 03:52 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • mtech325
    replied
    I think there are a few factors at play with the current marketplace. Most obvious is that there are simply fewer stock/unmolested examples around than there were 10 years ago, so it's a classic case of supply and demand.

    The other major change I've noticed is the crowd that's buying the cars. For a long time the e30 was (and still is to some extent) a low buck fun car that was popular with enthusiasts and relatively cheap to keep running. That's why a lot of young kids (myself included) bought them as first cars and drove them into the ground. They weren't classic cars at the time, but merely an old used car. The e36 and e46 have been handed the baton, but slowly even those are starting costing a pretty penny for a clean example.

    Nowadays the crowd entering into the market for an e30 is older and typically has more disposable income as mentioned already. With that comes a different set of priorities. Toss in the BAT crowd that glorifies how "pure" the driving experience is from the factory, and the stock car becomes even more desirable.

    As for swap cars/heavily modified cars, quality is king. There are a lot of butchered cars out there, and there are also lot of very tastefully done clean cars. The modified cars are more of a niche market, but get someone that appreciates the merits of a modified example and that car may very well command a premium. It's no different than a hot rod muscle car. Some people detest them because they only want numbers matching cars, while others don't care as much about originality, especially if driven on a daily basis.

    Leave a comment:


  • Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Likewise agreed. Not sure I'd ever purchase an m5x/s5x swapped e30 (unless euro s5x) anymore even though I lusted over those after learning of project orca back in the day.

    Now, I'd prefer a clean all stock to a swapped 24v. BUT if it were a BMW 32v... that's a horse of a different color. I currently lust over those. ;)

    Leave a comment:


  • Court M3
    replied
    ^^^ Agreed, plus guys that are in their late 30's mid 40's have a reliable daily and are looking for a weekend/sunny day driver.

    Leave a comment:


  • flyboyx
    replied
    little teenage dipshits have been priced out of this market-thank god. I think a buyer willing to pay a premium for these is going to want original or a good quality (as in tasteful) restomod.

    an m52 doesn't really give you more power. it is more modern but it really doesn't fit into either category listed above.

    Leave a comment:


  • ncsubowen
    replied
    It's all quality, but swap cars only really demand premium from people who are already into the cars and know what it takes to get it swapped. To an outside buyer it's gonna be tough to justify 2x the price of a clean non-swap car.

    Leave a comment:


  • Julien
    started a topic Turning point for e30s?

    Turning point for e30s?

    I've been keeping an eye on used e30 prices for over ten years and I've noticed a trend change. It seems that 24v swapped cars are no longer fetching the premium that they used to over stock cars.

    Are we entering an era where a clean/stock e30s (or light oem+ such as euroweaves/mtech2/euro headlights) is becoming more valuable/desirable than a modified one (coilovers/5 lug/24v/aftermarket seats/aftermarket wheels)? Or is it all a question of quality?

Working...