• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to choose a car....

... can you help?

E34 M5 (‘91) with 110k miles

E82 135i (2012) with 53k miles

AP2 S2000 (2004) with 50k miles

I’m having a really tough time deciding. Car will be a 2-3 day/week daily driver. ~60 miles round trip of mountain / canyon roads. Don’t care about A/C. No passengers will ride with me. Gas mileage doesn’t matter.

What do you think?

Ready... go!
    E34 M5
    26.83%
    135i
    17.07%
    S2000
    51.22%
    Something else... tell me what!
    4.88%

S2k fo sho

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

Vote cast for s2000.

Comment

135i will be the best to live with, but turbo problems.. how about a 128i with a 3 stage swap and tune? $200 in mods gets you 255bhp and reliability for days.

Otherwise, I like the S2k, but I could never fit in one.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I get the BMW love.... but S2k all the way. M-engine age, and turbo problems.....nein danke.
          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

For a 60 mile round trip commute I don't think I could live with a convertible (the noise) so I'd go with the 135i, or the suggested 128i.

Another fun car I'd consider is a Z3 coupe with the m54 or a M Coupe with the s52. That would probably be my ultimate fun and worry free daily if I didn't need to carry people or haul stuff.
            My Feedback

Comment

This is tough, made tougher by the “elephant in the room”.

What’s wrong with an e30? Quiet, fun, comfy, fast enough for mountain roads. The others above probably know you, so I admit my question is probably ill informed.

S2k with a hardtop.
              My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
              I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

get an e30. stop fooling around.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                '90 325i sedan daily driven
                '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
                  get an e30. stop fooling around.
                  Accurate.

Of those 3 choices, immediately remove the M5. Its approaching 120k which is typically when it will need a refreshed head (read $$$$), then you're left with a NA Honda, or a turbocharged BMW. Seems kind of an easy choice.

For me Id take the S2K all day honestly.... IF there cant be an E30
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    Accurate.

Of those 3 choices, immediately remove the M5. Its approaching 120k which is typically when it will need a refreshed head (read $$$$), then you're left with a NA Honda, or a turbocharged BMW. Seems kind of an easy choice.

For me Id take the S2K all day honestly.... IF there cant be an E30

I would probably go for an E30 if I could find something super clean.

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
                      I would probably go for an E30 if I could find something super clean.
                      Glen Shelly is in your neck of the woods
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        Glen Shelly is in your neck of the woods
                        They are like the Diet Coke version of Enthusiast Auto....

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
                          They are like the Diet Coke version of Enthusiast Auto....
                          LOL No argument from me! You will find a clean car there and it would likely cost the same as those other cars mentioned.

Theres some nice options for sale here in the classifieds right now...
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

I’m kinda surprised. I thought the 135i was going to get a lot of votes....

Comment

To me a 110k mi 28 year old M5 seems like it can be either super nice or a complete basket case and a regrettable purchase. An E82 is a nice car but it's also a modern BMW with an N55 and from what I've been told it has all of the same problems as the N54, which is quite a few. An S2000 is a nice reliable car that handles better than the others, easy choice. I can't recommend anything because I have no clue what the cars you're talking about cost.

It's an E30 forum, not a BMW forum. You'll find a lot of people who love E30s but are highly critical of modern BMW offerings here. My list of cars to choose from for the first newer car I buy when I establish my career doesn't include a single BMW.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              [CoTM: 4-18]
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
                              X