325e vs 325i driveability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    I usually put the car in 'S' (3rd / no overdrive) around town, and dump it into D when I finish merging on the freeway... I might have to try this approach :devil:
    mine has no 's' just 123D i start in 2 and click to 3rd at 5k.. she jumps
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '90 325i sedan daily driven
    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

IMO the eta has the best driveability.
      i taught dozens of people to drive manual in my eta. it's hard to stall and is quite smooth in normal use case. the I engine is better for fun driving. but for smooth quiet power that has plenty of grunt the stock eta is a killer car.

my current engine is a m20b30 that revs to 7200rps. so i've got the eta torque and I top end power. with the 3.46lsd i can do 150mph in 4th gear.
      Much wow
      I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
        IMO the eta has the best driveability.
        i taught dozens of people to drive manual in my eta. it's hard to stall and is quite smooth in normal use case. the I engine is better for fun driving. but for smooth quiet power that has plenty of grunt the stock eta is a killer car.

my current engine is a m20b30 that revs to 7200rps. so i've got the eta torque and I top end power. with the 3.46lsd i can do 150mph in 4th gear.

I highly doubt you’d ever actually reach 150mph in your M20-powered E30.

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
          i would never risk it on the street but this is a really beefy m20 and it would not be stretch to get to 150. 176whp/185wtq and we are working on the tune to get to 200whp soon.
          Much wow
          I hate 4 doors

Comment

I loved my etas and I don't think they get enough appreciation for what they are. They had plenty of go for daily driving and I got really good gas mileage, so I'd definitely recommend one.
            My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by cheffy30 View Post
              thanks for correcting me there. soon i will have a getrag260 between her legs...
              i have zero complaints about this auto except for the fact it will not stop working perfectly...lol
              I'm a MT guy all the way. But a couple years ago I think I read an article on jalopnik that talked about the ZF and it made me remember it fondly for not being a PITA I have found every auto to be since then. Probably just bad memory, who knows, lol

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post

A track prepped M42 car with no engine enhancements and a 4.1 rear end got very near to theoretical geared top speed when it did 143 or so drafting an E36 at Daytona. So, a bit more power and better gearing for top speed, such as an M20 typically has, could allow you to hit 150 under ideal conditions.

However, the best speed I ever saw with a street car/M42/4.1 was 127 MPH approaching redline, and that's a significant difference.

Comment

i chucked pretty much everything America has to offer at my 325e from the steep city streets of San Fran to Yosemite, it even went up pikes peak. it never skipped a beat and i never thought i was going to have to bale out the car and watch it disappear backwards down a hill.

either one you choose will be a great car nonetheless. just find the best condition car that ticks most boxes in your price range.

I drove my e30 from California to London!

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                    A track prepped M42 car with no engine enhancements and a 4.1 rear end got very near to theoretical geared top speed when it did 143 or so drafting an E36 at Daytona. So, a bit more power and better gearing for top speed, such as an M20 typically has, could allow you to hit 150 under ideal conditions.

However, the best speed I ever saw with a street car/M42/4.1 was 127 MPH approaching redline, and that's a significant difference.

drafting is the main key on that one

once you hit the air "wall" it takes quite a bit more to go any higher.. is not a "bit more"

Comment

Yeah drag increases with the square of velocity and E30s are not exactly slippery.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                        Yeah drag increases with the square of velocity and E30s are not exactly slippery.
                        exactly
                        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

a 2.7L alpina were in 14x top speed range. wouldn't be hard to get to 150. i wouldn't want to though except on a still day and excellent straight bit of road
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Thanks for the feedback all. I'm thinking of going with an auto Eta over the i (live in an area with lots of traffic so stick is not an option). I'll only get an i if I can't find an Eta in good shape.

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                            I loved my etas and I don't think they get enough appreciation for what they are. They had plenty of go for daily driving and I got really good gas mileage, so I'd definitely recommend one.
                            I second that. I see so many ads on here/FB marketplace/Craigslist where 325e owners chuck the M20B27 and auto tranny out of their etas. I read an old Motortrend issue on Curbside Classic that said the B27 and auto tranny were a match made in heaven due to the ample low-end torque of the engine. Personally I'm a lazy driver (I barely rev the engine past 3k), so I figure the Eta is more suited towards my driving style.
                            1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
                            1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

I have the manual and keep thinking I need to swap my auto eta but I have yet to seriously consider it... it ain’t broke so...
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

^^
                                It bugs the heck out of me that people say a manual isn't an option because of traffic. It's normally only not an option for medical reasons or laziness, and with the right gearing it can be even better than an auto for creeping in traffic.

That said, auto plus eta will work just fine, even if it won't be too exciting or terribly efficient.

Comment

Working...
                                X