• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e46, without a doubt

Originally posted by wholepailofwater
    Q
    :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Jesus what the F is wrong with you folks. E34 all the way. Yes e46' are nice if low mileage and cared for, and they do drive very nice. More often than not, all e46's I see are trashed. Interiors fall apart and more electrical issues not to mention all the problems with m54's.

E34's are cheap, easy to get parts for. Soo many have limited slip differentials and good even weight distribution. They also drive nice, very comfortable in comparison to e30's. There is room to work on them if something does break and the engine designs are simple so less to go wrong == better for daily driving

Comment

It's almost as if people prefer different cars:D

also that list of e46 common issues, theres nothign on there that is any different to most cars. Rubber deteriorates over 15yrs...who knew?
        Last edited by e30davie; 09-11-2019, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Surprised nobody has mentioned the e46 subframe issue yet.
          I personally would never buy one without proof the reinforcement has been done.
          Was looking for a second car earlier this year and ended up going e39 because a massive welding project is over my head and out of my budget.
          Project
          Feedback

Comment

I like both the E46 and E34. I would choose whichever you could find in better shape, better maintained, and lowest miles at the price you can afford. If I was buying one of those I would get a Touring. The E46 Touring is a very nice car. Never heard of the Touring having the subframe issue. That seems to be more sedans and coupes that have been abused. I followed a beautiful Glacier Blue E34 on the road today. Very classy car. You may also want to keep an eye out for the very similar E32. Larger and perhaps not as cool to most people, but definitely less common and a better ride than the E34. An S50 or S52 would liven up an E34 or E32 quite nicely, and of course M54b30 or S54 for the E46.
            Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Non M E46 is rubbish, actually all are but with s54 you can look past some things.
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                Non M E46 is rubbish, actually all are but with s54 you can look past some things.
                SE46 would like a word with you.. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                2016 Ford Flex
                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                  My touring would also like a word. What other car is actually engaging to drive, yet comfortable, practical, easy to maintain, and can get me and my friends on a ski trip to Tahoe in style.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dOhv7hb.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	9869503
                  '86 Burgundrot 325 2.8 stroker.

Build thread

Other cars:
                  2000 Porsche Boxster
                  2006 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
                  1972 Porsche 914

Comment

An E91. ;)
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

E46 without a doubt. There is one more failure I would look for (btw half those failures are really easy fixes, and the control arms and trailing arms well, those are wear items so not sure why that is a failure.

My E46 was rock solid, 201k on it when I sold it and it ran amazing without losing a drop of oil.

The car is very simple to work on by today's standards, and while yes it does have more computers than an E30 I would not call it overly technically complicated.

I think its one of the sweet spot cars from BMW, old enough to still have that nice smaller athletic feel, great steering with the later model racks (early ones were a bit over boosted), but just enough comfort and convenience features to be quiet and modern.
                      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        An E91. ;)
                        What about easy to maintain lol

Build thread

Other cars:
                        2000 Porsche Boxster
                        1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Beautiful touring betz. I agree about the E46 being a sweet spot assessment. Modern without being too complicated and still has the classic feel and looks. Maintenance is easy with a copy of DIS on an old laptop.
                          Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

• betz
                            betz commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks! I just got it, and am loving it :)

Originally posted by betz View Post

What about easy to maintain lol
                          They are way better, really. Suspension and chassis stuff especially. I'm at 150k in my E90 (basically the same thing), and I'm just starting to think about replacing the shocks. Control arms? Subframe? Window regulators? What are those? ;)

Replace the water pump, serpentine belt and tensioner at 100k, and never touch it again for another 100,000 miles. Even the cooling system overall is less prone to failure, and if the pump fails, overheating the engine doesn't result in catastrophic damage.

My only regret with the E91 was selling it, and replacing with a V8 X5.. talk about opposites. :/

My favorite thing about the E46 is when someone pulls next to my E30 and wants to chat, they have to open the door because the window doesn't work.. ROFL.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

They are way better, really. Suspension and chassis stuff especially. I'm at 150k in my E90 (basically the same thing), and I'm just starting to think about replacing the shocks. Control arms? Subframe? Window regulators? What are those? ;)

Replace the water pump, serpentine belt and tensioner at 100k, and never touch it again for another 100,000 miles. Even the cooling system overall is less prone to failure, and if the pump fails, overheating the engine doesn't result in catastrophic damage.

My only regret with the E91 was selling it, and replacing with a V8 X5.. talk about opposites. :/

My favorite thing about the E46 is when someone pulls next to my E30 and wants to chat, they have to open the door because the window doesn't work.. ROFL.
                            I mean with either car, it's about that basic preventative maintenance. E90s with the electric water pump, if not replaced they just fail suddenly leaving you stranded. No leaking or whining or anything to warn you. And they didn't even put it in an easy spot to replace it! I would say it's not really any better than the E46 in that respect. At least the E46 will give you some indication of something failing. The window regulators take like a half hour if you've done it before and if you grease the window seals regularly it will probably be fine. It's really not a deal breaker, really just more an indication someone is poor or unlucky or just a hack lol.

I have seen both cars be reliable but I've also seen them be a huge mess. I suppose if you like one a lot more than the other you could always argue a case for it. Me, I prefer the looks, small size, and overall feel of the E46 over the E90. I prefer the simplicity and robustness of the AWD system even if it's technically inferior. And I like that it still reminds me, just a little bit, of my E30. :)

Build thread

Other cars:
                            2000 Porsche Boxster
                            1972 Porsche 914

Comment

They don't really fail suddenly. There are error codes that give you hints, and you can change it to trigger a CEL. Besides that, the replacement pumps last way longer (200,000+ miles). The rest of the cooling system doesn't really have the same issues (radiator, expansion tank, etc), you don't need to replace everything at 60k miles routinely.

And even if the pump does fail, as I said, it's not going to destroy the engine like an exploding expansion tank on an E46 can. I've limped two home without issue, one was 15 miles and the other 5 miles. Totally dead waterpumps. Remember, they are already designed to run at much higher temperatures..

None of my E30s or E90s (or the X5 for that matter) have ever needed a window regulator. The E46 regulators are crap. I don't hate the cars, but BMW definitely cut a lot of corners on the build quality.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                              X