When to move on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to move on

Hey guys, so I've been in the e30 game since 2008. I don't post a lot but i did religiously visit to see what was for sale and get technical info. Lately, i find myself less interested visiting the sight. I still make my daily crackhead rounds of the various car for sale sights and ads but i just don't seem to have that same itch.

I've also came to the realization that i would have to throw quite a bit of money in to the purchase of an e30 to buy a clean example and I'd have to equally or even more throw more money into modifying it for track duty and power... not to mention whatever I would do to the car for aesthetics. The mods would have to be an auto box and have the fun factor or power ratio of an e46 m3.

As you guys can imagine this would be a very costly endeavour, especially if I will not be doing most of the work. So here in lies my dilima. I still think the e30 is one of the most pleasing cars both on the eyes and the senses but I can no longer justifying spending upwards of 20k on this platform.

I've started taking an interest in the e36 m3. Yes, auto box only because of my disability i sustained 4 years back. My thought is:

More modern
    Robust engine
    Lots of options for aftermarket
    prices are reasonable

So i was thinking to put a supercharger and some supporting mods to make 300 wheel hp and call it a day. So, what do you guys think? I could definitely use good advice from the knowledgable on this sight. Thanks
    sigpic

This is what ive been eyeing...
    Attached Files
    sigpic

Comment

I forgot to add it has 44k miles and they want $14,750. Butbi figure i can haggle my way down to maybe 14k hopefully lower
      sigpic

Comment

do it

don't forget to post pics of your endeavor!
        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

There's nothing wrong with moving on from E30s, and after a decade I've decided to take a break/sell my clean sedan. A lot has changed about the E30 scene, very little for the better IMO.

As to an E36, I say go for it, but remember that you are paying E46 M3 money for low mileage, which means almost nothing when cars, like my E30, are perfectly serviceable above 150k miles.

Will it excite you like an E30, simply, no. The S50/2 is a bore in stock form, the interior is a big departure from an E30 (check a 318ti if you want simplicity), and the E36 is simply miles ahead in driving dynamics in a way that makes it feel modern where an E30 feels old, er, shall we say, classic.

Comment

I apreciate it guys. Yes as you said roguetoaster i just am not drawn to that "classic" feel of an e30 as much anymore. I guess the next question would be; was i a true enthusiast of the e30? I believe i still am and would love to get back into one. It's just the costs to get it where i'd want it to be, would be way too high.

I sometimes think well; why not just enjoy an e30 for that vintage appreciation of it? Which i wouldn't mind if I had Jay Leno type of money where i could just simply buy whatever car at the stroke of a pen...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
              do it

don't forget to post pics of your endeavor!
              I definitely will, if i go thru with my plan. Ive been eyeing e46 m3s as well but i don't care so much for the taillights and the dash/interior...

I know...The stupid things I concern myself with...
              sigpic

Comment

The update has really slowed down the site and made navigating a bit aggrevating. Same boat here except I go back to when my mom bought a 325e new in 84. I now have 4 E30's after selling one last year. Most don't understand why but it's more nostalgia for me. Anyway, nothing wrong with moving on to the next platform that will suit your needs. IMO, you should go straight to the E46 M3. One can be had for about the same amount of money as a lower mileage E36 M3 (face it, that's no big deal) except with perhaps more maintenance but you'll have SMG which uses the same trans as the manual 6 speed should you decide to sell and the car will hold it's value better since it's a "true" M car. This is what I would do, if it were me.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

You can get an m54b30 car for way less and have similar power, BUT having similar power but very different power curves.

If you're seriously going to get a car for track duty, an S50/52 is going to be a better engine, but if you're going to mostly be doing street driving, save your money and get a zhp 330i

I
                  Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

A SMG E46 M3 will be way better, people actually like to track those gearboxes. Or you could get a 135i the latter one has a F'n 7 speed DCT and a N55. I see nice ones go go for 15-20.

91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                    Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                    E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                    "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

The e36 & e46 are now where the e30 was at when a lot of us became e30 enthusiasts - values bottoming out, plenty in wreckers for parts & cheap / plentiful new parts. We're now getting into the zone that 2002 enthusiasts have already gone through - the cars become classics, get too expensive, none in wreckers & parts start getting harder to get / more expensive. That said, compared to modern BMWs, the e30 is still pretty cheap to own. If you're going past the e46 though, be wary of the costs. Running an N55 track car if you're used to tracking an e30 will be expensive - the cars can be had cheap, but they aren't cheap to maintain.

Case in point - the running costs for my humble e92 320d have been pretty high (no doubt cheaper in the US of course, but in Australia it's pretty daunting). Despite buying an immaculate, 40k mile car that was previously owned by a surgeon who maintained everything possible, the maintenance cost after 18 months of my ownership has still been $2590 - new brakes + interim oil change by me - $780 (Dealer wanted $2k! I said no thanks); new rear tyres and wheel alignment at an indy - $760; Dealer major service - basically an inspection 2 in e30 speak - $1050! Thankfully the dealer service was not paid for by me, the original owner must have thought he was keeping the car a long time as he bought the 10 year pre-paid service package when the car was new & it still has 3 more years to go. Once it runs out, I'll just do my own servicing.

None of this was unexpected & the car itself has been rock solid reliable, but something to be aware of if you're thinking of tinkering with modern BMWs, especially if coming from e30s and not working on them yourself.

Slightly off topic, but I have to admit that spending time at the dealer yesterday waiting to pick up the car, it became really obvious that I am not the target market for BMW any more. Wandering through the new car show room, no sales people came over to speak with me even though I could easily lease a new M240i or 3 or 4 series if I wanted to. They were too busy selling expensive SUVs to trophy wives & retirees.
                      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by e30 brick View Post
                        This is what ive been eyeing...
                        E46 is going to have a lot more poke, BUT less feel- the E36 really did get a lot of things right. In very nice shape, that's a fair deal around here.

There was just some chatter on the e46 boards about a true DCT conversion with a standalone controller-
                        THAT would be a FANTASTIC way to not have a clutch but still have transmission control.
                        The E46 SMG is... well, it only has one clutch, and if the controller fails...

t
                        would hook it up to a pedal, but my disabilities are more mental.
                        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by e30 brick View Post
                          So i was thinking to put a supercharger and some supporting mods to make 300 wheel hp and call it a day. So, what do you guys think? I could definitely use good advice from the knowledgable on this sight. Thanks
                          300whp will never be calling it a day, especially with a 3,200lb car. 300whp isn't enough with my car and it's 400lbs lighter than an E36 M3.

Classic cars aren't for everyone, but if "more modern" is a concern for you, and I'm guessing it is since you went out of your way to mention it first, you should probably be looking at cars that aren't 20+ years old. 20+ years old meaning they will soon have the same kind of problems our E30s do actually more of them because there's a lot more to go wrong. E30s are old and have reached classic status and are just more expensive now. E36 and E46s are still on the depreciation cycle so no kidding they're a little more reasonably priced. Also, US E36 M3s are the worst M3s, good LS swap recipients

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

Have to admit with the rise in e30 prices of late, I've been looking longingly at e34 M5s recently - might be good to pick one up before their prices head into the stratosphere :)
                            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                              The update has really slowed down the site and made navigating a bit aggrevating. Same boat here except I go back to when my mom bought a 325e new in 84. I now have 4 E30's after selling one last year. Most don't understand why but it's more nostalgia for me. Anyway, nothing wrong with moving on to the next platform that will suit your needs. IMO, you should go straight to the E46 M3. One can be had for about the same amount of money as a lower mileage E36 M3 (face it, that's no big deal) except with perhaps more maintenance but you'll have SMG which uses the same trans as the manual 6 speed should you decide to sell and the car will hold it's value better since it's a "true" M car. This is what I would do, if it were me.
                              What you say is true! I feel the sight/sales on here have slowed down. I dont know if it is lack of interest or if the young guys are using facebook???

I have seriously considered an e46 m3 for the reasons you mentioned. Maybe i will keep my options open...especially if it will be doing primarily track duty.

Part of me thinks ill really regret giving up on the e30. Not to mention i have a few rare and sought after parts ive been hoarding for the right candidate.

Let me ask you guys this. How much at a shop would cost to throw an LS swap or s52 swap on an e30? Granted this will be an estimate...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X