• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    Whoa! .007 posts per day? Nice.
    Check your email!!!!

Comment

James, thanks for all the hard work keeping this forum going. Whatever direction you need to go to make life easier so be it.
      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by Nader393 View Post
        I've also noticed the drop off in activity. Gotta play the long game. I follow Porsche and Alfa forums, and their attendance have at least doubled in the last 15 years. These e30s have only just started to gain recognition and value, so you should start seeing more people join and contribute. Probably a more mature audience that doesn't scare off the casual lurker. Wouldn't be a bad thing. When I joined a few years ago, some of the threads were bonkers, and some of the posters were (are) complete idjits.
        I assume that some of the drop is due to Facebook and the like sucking up new members. While I do not use any social media, what I have seen of the E30 enthusiast world on FB/Insta does not really seem too worthwhile compared to here. Same story over on Reddit.

The other thing, and there is zero point in harping on this since it's a dead horse already, but the big hit in the forum software's performance is probably also serving as a wet blanket on things. As James laid out, the migration to the new platform was necessary for good reasons, but the decrease in ease of use has probably stymied user enthusiasm. I certainly stopped coming on here less for a bit when pages started taking 5-10 seconds to load, but it's too much fun being on here so I just ignore the slowness. I'd think that the load times wouldn't bug me since my first tastes of the internet were with connections described by baud rates lol...but alas I have been spoiled.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post

I assume that some of the drop is due to Facebook and the like sucking up new members. While I do not use any social media, what I have seen of the E30 enthusiast world on FB/Insta does not really seem too worthwhile compared to here. Same story over on Reddit.

The other thing, and there is zero point in harping on this since it's a dead horse already, but the big hit in the forum software's performance is probably also serving as a wet blanket on things. As James laid out, the migration to the new platform was necessary for good reasons, but the decrease in ease of use has probably stymied user enthusiasm. I certainly stopped coming on here less for a bit when pages started taking 5-10 seconds to load, but it's too much fun being on here so I just ignore the slowness. I'd think that the load times wouldn't bug me since my first tastes of the internet were with connections described by baud rates lol...but alas I have been spoiled.
          Page loads are a serious issue.

As are the spam bots getting through.

James has other stuff going on, but I think at some point coming in and being Gordon Ramsay or John Taffer(sp?) from that Bar Rescue show and yelling, " SHUT IT DOWN! " and making r3v read-only or locked while the database is backed up then transferred to the new software would be a good idea, sooner rather than later.
          Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post

Page loads are a serious issue.

As are the spam bots getting through.

James has other stuff going on, but I think at some point coming in and being Gordon Ramsay or John Taffer(sp?) from that Bar Rescue show and yelling, " SHUT IT DOWN! " and making r3v read-only or locked while the database is backed up then transferred to the new software would be a good idea, sooner rather than later.
            Is James looking at moving to another platform from the current one? I know r3v was on vBulletin for a very long time, and we transitioned to whatever we are on now (I forget) a couple of years ago I think. Is there a new, better option being investigated? I have not really gone back through the thread in a very long time.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post

Is James looking at moving to another platform from the current one? I know r3v was on vBulletin for a very long time, and we transitioned to whatever we are on now (I forget) a couple of years ago I think. Is there a new, better option being investigated? I have not really gone back through the thread in a very long time.
              The first post of this thread answers all your questions.

Comment

Bumping this thread.

What James pointed out was the plan last year, I assume this is still the plan with the E30 Chapter support?

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
                Now that I've click baited you into thinking we are closing down (we are not..) I have a few updates.

It's obvious the vBulletin 5.X migration has caused a large number of problems. Performance is horrid, we have constant database issues, searching fails and locks the cache event table which crashes the forum, and we are running into random login issues occasionally.

vBulletin support is worthless, and while they have one good resource over there (Wayne Luke), it seems as if he is the only employee handling support and thus can only ask questions and not jump into determining why we are having the issues we are having.

So, with that being said, after looking at options and speaking with other vendors we are moving at a large expense over to the Invision Community Platform.

This will be a slow migration and we are currently testing how well our 22GB Database is going to migrate into the Invision Platform. I will keep members posted via this thread on our status and once a beta site is available for testing.

Few things to keep in mind

1) it's going to look and operate a little differently, honestly, deal with it, and adapt to change. If you are providing feedback on why a button you used to have is now on the other side of the screen I cannot help you with that. R3V is supported by other business ventures of mine, we don't have ads, we don't charge membership, and I don't plan on changing that, so keep that in mind when you complain for the sake of complaining

2) We will be on vBulletin until I am content all the CONTENT and USERS are migrated over properly. R3V is a database/wealth of knowledge that is my primary concern, followed by ensuring existing users can log in without issue

3) I vetted several vendors and decided on Invision due to the support teams they have, in fact, it was 6 times the cost of other platforms and frankly didn't offer much more than say XenForo, but I don't have time to spend hours upon hour digging through logs trying to figure out why a button does not work when I can toss in a ticket and have them point to the problem.

More to come, bare with us, we are doing what we can

--------------

James, absolutely nobody can repay you for the work you've done to keep this going.

s there anything that the active users can do?

Having just looked again at the pricing breakdown for Invision Software / Community... the cloud I assume is what you're going to transition to, those costs are definitely pricey month to month.

Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

James, let us help! You don't have to go it alone.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I used to enjoy coming here. Its painful now.

I check in every few months to see if things changed.

I would be willing to pay yearly dues if money for software/hardware is the problem. I am sure I am not alone.

Comment

Working...
                    X