No announcement yet.

The Future of R3VLimited.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have setup a few Invision Power Board forums for some customers. IMO its the best forum software out there. The latest version (v4.5) also runs very well on modest server specs, better than v4.
    The community forum is helpful in resolving issues before lodging a support ticket with IPB themselves.

Your only issue is how complicated will the transfer from vBulletin to IPB be? There will always be a lot of issues to resolve, but the IPB community forums will have many posts of other users doing the same upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      Its as if we've forgotten what it was like to dial up to get internet... we're spoiled now. I dont mind, is it annoying? Yes. Will it stop me from coming here? No. Will it stop youngsters from joining? Probably
      Dude, I haven't had slower that 50mb internet since 1999, lol. TBH, other than absolute download speed - my modern connection feels way slower and has much higher latency. Thanks to throttling, the upload speed is actually slower.. did I mention it now costs 4x as much?

Anyway, my free time is limited. Between work and basically being teacher/principal all day for my kids, making dinner and trying not to totally ignore my family, I don't have the time to spend 5 minutes for a single post to load. Sorry, but the performance of this site is absolutely a factor in my reduced posting.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

50mbps would have been darned quick in 1999 - what sort of connection was that? 20 bonded T1 lines or something? That same era we had a T1 pair at 3mbps at work, which was fine at the time and revolutionary vs dialup. We now have either 1Gbps or 10Gbps fibre, which is obviously fast.
        My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Granted I've only been here for 5 years, but I remember when I couldn't keep up with the amount of posts each day. Now it seems that hours go by and the "New Topics" list doesn't have anything new. I love this site and as long as it's up, l'll continue to visit and post here. Thanks, James!

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            Sorry, but the performance of this site is absolutely a factor in my reduced posting.
            Im going to time this post and update it with how long it took to click reply and for it to show up...

GO!

Edit: 7.4 Seconds. Faster than a 0-60 time for an E30
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Im going to time this post and update it with how long it took to click reply and for it to show up...

GO!

some E30s* haha
              1990 325is
              m52b28
              3.73lsd
              g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

7.4 Seconds. Faster than a 0-60 time for an E30
                Lol... I like that one. Way faster than the 316 I owned in the UK: It was a monster - 88hp, 11.5 seconds 0-60 and an 18 second quarter mile.

Mind you with only 990kg (2180 pounds) to lug around, it was still an entertaining drive.

My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post

Lol... I like that one. Way faster than the 316 I owned in the UK: It was a monster - 88hp, 11.5 seconds 0-60 and an 18 second quarter mile.

Mind you with only 990kg (2180 pounds) to lug around, it was still an entertaining drive.
                  Definitely something great about lightweight cars. For the record, my MR2 also weighs the same amount 990kg / 2180 lbs, but with the 2ZZ motor its making somewhere in the neighborhood of 180bhp and its an absolute blast..

Back to the future of R3V... the best way to keep this place alive is for everyone to keep coming back and posting, no matter how pointless the posts are ...

Edit: That only took about 5 seconds to post
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Seems the performance issues are downstream of the site's servers, I don't have any issues. Threads usually take 5-10s to load at most, haven't noticed posting taking longer than that.

GO!

Yeah well I'm impatient.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 3-17

Comment

Make it harder to create an account. 2 step authentication not just an email addy. Agreed this is annoying. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                      84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

I appreciate the site still being here. I lurk mostly and should post more but I still have my ‘88 SETA and my ‘90 that my 16 y/o son are laying out a game plan for as he wants it badly! He has a ‘02 Jetta TDI as a DD but wants the ‘90 to be his, he has lots of Euro styling ideas. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fomcwimprttuner88 View Post
                          I appreciate the site still being here. I lurk mostly and should post more but I still have my ‘88 SETA and my ‘90 that my 16 y/o son are laying out a game plan for as he wants it badly! He has a ‘02 Jetta TDI as a DD but wants the ‘90 to be his, he has lots of Euro styling ideas. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          This has to be a record. Joined ~12 years ago and just now in 2021 made his first post!

Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Whoa! .007 posts per day? Nice.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I've also noticed the drop off in activity. Gotta play the long game. I follow Porsche and Alfa forums, and their attendance have at least doubled in the last 15 years. These e30s have only just started to gain recognition and value, so you should start seeing more people join and contribute. Probably a more mature audience that doesn't scare off the casual lurker. Wouldn't be a bad thing. When I joined a few years ago, some of the threads were bonkers, and some of the posters were (are) complete idjits.
                              '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                                Whoa! .007 posts per day? Nice.
                                You guys are so good I just search when I have questions, find my answer and R3V takes care of me! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X