No announcement yet.

What do you think of these pistons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i don't think its weld, looks like casting blemish rubbed with sandpaper or scotch brite pad. if there are no signs on the inside then id not worry. You aren't supposed to polish the outside though, it's supposed to be textured for additional oil retention.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      If someone walked in my place and asked to measure some pistons there was questions about, they would be charged about the cost of a 12 pack of good beer. Block boring starts at $300 for .010 over.
      +1mm bore + deck is about $600 in my neck of the woods. Worth every penny

Comment

you need about a grand worth of slugs to fill the hole though
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post

+1mm bore + deck is about $600 in my neck of the woods. Worth every penny
          +1mm is a overbore x4 overbore. Sounds about right. A lot of places won't charge extra for a .020" since it can still be done as quickly as a .010", but there's several passes to get .040" (1mm).

Originally posted by digger View Post
          New Mhale pistons can be found for $550 as zaq said, but they are running out fast at that price. Once those suppliers run out of that lot, prices go up by a fair bit. Our local supplier ran out last year, ordered a bunch more and the price went up 20%. The new minimum MSRP is $110 each (up from $91), so I can't even get them at that price anymore without using online wholesalers - even though we purchase several sets a year for the shop.

john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
            I think digger meant +1 will require custom slugs = $$$. I just used +1 as an example since that's what I had done form my m20 recently

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

New Mhale pistons can be found for $550 as zaq said, but they are running out fast at that price.

That's what I've seen. Unfortunately those all are early (long skirt) models from what I've seen. +.5 slugs (largest stock size) for that price would be the way to go if not stroking. IMO, for the strocker, custom is the way to go from the get-go: by the time you mod stock pistons (cut skirts, enlarge pockets for the larger cam, balance etc), it will be very close to custom slug price. Of course if one can do all that himself.....different story

Comment

95% of people who commented on that thread have no idea what they're talking about.
                well, you did say 'facebook'...

So what I notice is that all the edges are softened. Ring lands, crown, so forth. That's going to catch material
                (carbon, if nothing else) and do nothing good for trapped area containing uncombustible air and fuel.

To get the forming marks off those pistons, significant material had to have been removed. Or they're not OE.

So I agree with John- if they don't measure the same (or better) than what came out, don't do it. And I
                personally only reuse pistons in 'it just needs to run' engines that I don't want to spend ANY money on.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                X