No announcement yet.

BMW commitment to Classic Group parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW does support fairly well considering how popular their classics have become.

Now you ask why can't they support? Simply because the market isn't there to make all the OEM parts nor do the tooling or manufacturing processes exist in certain regards. The aftermarket as able to pick up some of the slack. Think about all of the parts in a car and the companies that make them, now think how many of those companies are busy making parts for other/current vehicles. This should not piss you off. It's a 30+ year old car. If you are upset, start a company to make specific parts you want and do a run for the community. I'd suggest using additive manufacturing to start.

Let me know how it goes.
    OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
    84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

There was a time when BMW really tried to support the older cars under the Mobile Tradition banner, when it was changed to BMW Classic the direction seems to have changed. Today it is "normal" to see common items go on back-order for months/years until they decide to make another batch or (more likely) decide to make it NLA....not to mention most if not all of the Euro parts for these old cars are being pulled from the US parts system.

The latest issue I have been dealing with are new parts that don't fit...today it was a brand new rear trunk Roundel. The shape is fine but the pins on the back are too long and bottom out inside the sheet metal before the emblem is flush...I ordered another thinking it was an anomaly but unfortunately not....

This at a time when Mercedes Benz and Porsche are advertising the growth of their classic parts business as well their restoration centers. I get the feeling BMW is working the other way and slowly abandoning their history as they focus on becoming an electric car company and purveyor of grills.

Comment

Manufacturing 101...Have we not taking this course?

Comment

Heh, you youngsters are funny.
          Try getting an early 2002 license plate light base
          outa BMW these days... yes, there IS a different one for left AND right.

Yes, they are in Germany.
          Yes, they speak English if you ask.
          Yes, shipping adds to the cost, but then, you couldn't get it in the US, remember?
          No, shipping doesn't take all that long, actually.
          Yes, if something goes wrong, they DO fix it.

BMW joked up a 2002 15 years ago and said they'd built it using 'all BMW parts.'
          Which may have been technically true- but fewer than half were
          NEW parts YOU could buy from BMW.
          Then later that year, they discontinued a whole bunch MORE parts...

BMW sells new plastic cars. Anything else is just amusing to them.

t
          If you want a REAL giggle, walk into a Nissan parts department and see
          if they can get you a taillight bezel for your 1965 Datsun Fairlady Roadster.
          BMW, at least, doesn't re- use part numbers....
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Have you seen the garbage that BMW , even Motorsport, is making nowadays ? Do you think they give a GD about the 30 year, 20 year, or even 10 year old models that are no longer in production. They are all about the $$$ now, that is IT !!!

Comment

Parts availability for the e30 is still pretty good. Try getting parts for a 30+ year old car with say Ford or GM that is a run of the mill model - in Australia the manufacturer is only obliged by supply parts for 10 years after the end of production, and they don't do any more than necessary - then it's up to the aftermarket what happens next.

With my old e21 (pre-2008) Walloth & Nesch were the only way to get a lot of parts - they are good to deal with as TobyB mentioned, but their prices are pretty steep.
              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

I just ended up having to get my new carpet from Germany. Local dealer says no stock anywhere. But somehow the Germans can still get them from BMW.

Now my carpet will sit in my buddies garage in Holland until I can go pick it up. UPS wanted $900 to ship it over, but I can get it in oversized luggage and my buddy has agreed to hang onto it until I get over next time.
                "Dolphins aren't so smart, they can't even engineer an E-diff"

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                  Parts availability for the e30 is still pretty good. Try getting parts for a 30+ year old car with say Ford or GM that is a run of the mill model - in Australia the manufacturer is only obliged by supply parts for 10 years after the end of production, and they don't do any more than necessary - then it's up to the aftermarket what happens next.

With my old e21 (pre-2008) Walloth & Nesch were the only way to get a lot of parts - they are good to deal with as TobyB mentioned, but their prices are pretty steep.
                  I guess. But in BMW lore the E30 will just a sport compact was not a run of the mill it was a fairly high volume car. Most of GM/Ford models that people want and that were high volume (even ones that are not) you cant walk 5 feet without finding parts.

When I think of really good pars support Porsche is one of the best.
                  Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Whats is worse is how much more parts new cars use, Imagine them keeping those replacement parts around... Good luck I assume.

If a part is available sometimes you have to just bite the price tag, Its either that or NLA is next. I try to buy as much stuff as I can from my local BMW dealer on the older cars in hope they keep filing that item.

Funny thing is E36M's 95 and 96+ never need control arms because how beefed up they are, Guess what, they almost went NLA and were on a year back order because they didn't sell enough. A consumable item only sold by BMW. (96+)

If anything I hope to see a better BMW parts department to customer relationship to help fulfill the need for these parts before going NLA. I support the local BMW dealer as everyone pushes support local business, and a discount can be had though the BMW CCA, which is slowly dying off also...

Still BMW parts cataloging and stocking so much better than most car manufactures, its still a luxury to be able to get what we still can.

Covid definitely didn't help any of this.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Try finding parts for a 1973 E9 coupe. Low production car. MBZ and Porsche have done a much better job.
                      Yes it is all about money but, I would have thought they would have made more vintage parts available. Wouldn't it represent the marque in a positive light with 30 - 50 year old cars on the road looking like new? They just don't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                        Whats is worse is how much more parts new cars use, Imagine them keeping those replacement parts around... Good luck I assume.

If a part is available sometimes you have to just bite the price tag, Its either that or NLA is next. I try to buy as much stuff as I can from my local BMW dealer on the older cars in hope they keep filing that item.

Funny thing is E36M's 95 and 96+ never need control arms because how beefed up they are, Guess what, they almost went NLA and were on a year back order because they didn't sell enough. A consumable item only sold by BMW. (96+)

If anything I hope to see a better BMW parts department to customer relationship to help fulfill the need for these parts before going NLA. I support the local BMW dealer as everyone pushes support local business, and a discount can be had though the BMW CCA, which is slowly dying off also...

Still BMW parts cataloging and stocking so much better than most car manufactures, its still a luxury to be able to get what we still can.

Covid definitely didn't help any of this.

I get a great deal from my local dealer so I buy everything I can from him.

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                          Not just how many more parts they have, but how many parts are cheap plastic shit that will inevitably get brittle and break, and then the car will nickle and dime you to death trying to replace all the broken plastic. And plastic parts aren't really something you can fabricate yourself. Older cars were made with much more durable materials, and are much more durable overall as a result, as well as having much more simple construction.

Comment

Originally posted by 89_325i View Post

I get a great deal from my local dealer so I buy everything I can from him.
                            10% discount if you join BMW CCA or the Classic Car Club - BMW CCCA

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post

10% discount if you join BMW CCA or the Classic Car Club - BMW CCCA

When I bought all the sheet metal and some internal bits he gave me like 25% off so I aint complaining. Likely shop price.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                                Plastic parts aren't really something you can fabricate yourself. Older cars were made with much more durable materials, and are much more durable overall as a result, as well as having much more simple construction.
                                Plastic might end up easier to deal with than the old stuff through 3D Printing.

My father in-law has a good retirement side-business manufacturing NLA parts in plastic for large model helicopters and planes using 3D Printing - he used to work in the aeronautical industry, so he's still using some of his skills on a smaller scale.

No doubt people will just start sharing CADD files of the parts you need and you can just print them out or have someone else print them for you.
                                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Working...
                                X