No announcement yet.

BMW commitment to Classic Group parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30s are being picked up by the Classic department, parts will start to be available again soon. Many many people are saying the same things and so they are starting to listen.
    Don't expect things to be cheap.
    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

One part that drove me insane, is the steering shaft for models without airbag and with power steering.

Those universal joints are wobbling around like two headless chickens, causing vibrations, poor return to centre and so on.

I contacted BMW Classic in Germany, asking them about this shaft and what are the solutions. They said it is NLA and they have "no solution" for me, i picked up a used one then a couple of members linked a russian website, where the owner also experienced the same issue(s).

Basically, he showed a guide on how one replaces those u-joints (each u-joint costs €6), simple fix that drove me insane.

Those use steering shafts for power steering and non airbag models are expensive used, since here in Germany, any changes made to a vehicle would require to be approved. However, turning a non PS E30 to a PS system using factory parts (basically purchasing a whole used PS system) is fine, since it is "ab werk" or "from the factory" hence a popular "upgrade" without having to swap E36/E46 racks (which requires approval since it is not an E30 system and spacers are required).

Long story short, it is not limited to interior bits, some other critical mechanical bits are NLA already. Those cracking 885 heads have been NLA since the early 2000s.

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
        E30s are being picked up by the Classic department, parts will start to be available again soon. Many many people are saying the same things and so they are starting to listen.
        I sure hope you are right, there is a surge in 80's + '90's car restoration/refurbishment right now and most manufacturers are picking up on this...Mazda is now starting to fill a parts catalog for the Miata and RX-7 platforms.

moatilliatta you are on point with establishing a good relationship with your local dealer for parts. My dealer will put requests in for back-ordered items so it shows some demand...in hopes it will help trigger a production run. I've had some luck with this over the years but lately it seems back-ordered just leads to an eventual NLA designation. Thankfully they also give me a great discount for being a repeat customer.

Comment

A final example: The plastic door pockets were originally made in 7 colors. The last to be sold by BMW was Schwartz (Black), ended 10/8/2018. I believe the last price these were sold for was about $60 for each side. All colors are now NLA, some for quite some time. A pair of NOS Natur (tan) door pockets was sold on eBay a few days ago for nearly $250. Obviously, at least two people thought they were worth that much. If BMW can't make money selling these for $60 each, why not sell them for $125 each? Surely they could make enough to justify production at that price.

Comment

The side moldings were not available.

Look what I see now:

Availability: Expected Ship Date: Sep 24, 2021

Comment

There are many NLA things on ECS that have an expected ship date. It is wildly inaccurate
              Originally posted by Sonny
              I am a meme for our community.

Comment

I've monitored that molding.
                ECS used to say "Backordered".

From my experience, ECS is the best site to learn the current availability status in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post

Plastic might end up easier to deal with than the old stuff through 3D Printing.

My father in-law has a good retirement side-business manufacturing NLA parts in plastic for large model helicopters and planes using 3D Printing - he used to work in the aeronautical industry, so he's still using some of his skills on a smaller scale.

No doubt people will just start sharing CADD files of the parts you need and you can just print them out or have someone else print them for you.
                  There are days when I consider buying a 3D printer. I outsourced 3D printing of tweeter pins and it was na OK experience. I needed a set and so I had enough made so my set was free. I am retired so I had the hours of time to make it happen.

Comment

As long as you don't need to make anything large you can get a decent 3d printer for little money. I have a crealty ender 3 & have been pleased with it for under $200.

Comment

They made new M3 flares not to long ago. Pretty awesome.
                      91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                      Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                      E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                      "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Anyone know if front apron panel are still available? p/n 41331961227
                        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I can't find the BMW one from normal vendors, so I'd assume it's way out on availability, but there are a couple floating on eBay for way too much money. There are aftermarket examples out there too.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                            I can't find the BMW one from normal vendors, so I'd assume it's way out on availability, but there are a couple floating on eBay for way too much money. There are aftermarket examples out there too.
                            Yeah is apparently NLA from dealer. I'm not paying but yeah is a bit ridiculous.

Anyone got any experience with the aftermarket ones? are they decent quality?

Front panel - 41331961227, 41 33 1 961 227, 1961227, 41331961227U - Fits on models: E30

seem made by KLOKKERHOLM

89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

No personal experience, yet people in the VW community seem to like them, but their standards may be different.

Comment

BMW 'classic'. Yeah, that's some guy in a shed somewhere, sourcing as much as he can in deepest Eastern Europe,
                                then passing it on to 'corporate' at a healthy profit. Quality control? Never heard of that!

You're spot- on about the 'not cheap' part...

t
                                3d- printed a set of pistons. what could go wrong?
                                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                                X