X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the E30 was a Puzzle...

How many pieces would it be?

EDIT:
    Hold your thumb up next to it, like counting how many jelly beans are in the mason jar...

Get the real oem out and start counting?

Maybe its just one piece to the puzzle.
    Last edited by moatilliatta; 04-13-2021, 10:20 AM.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Hmm, maybe 500 or 800. Something with a bit of challenge, but not where you want to give up.
    Instagram
    Build Thread

F87 2020 M2 Competition Coupe Long Beach Blue/Black w/Blue Stitching
    F22 2014 M235i Coupe Estoril Blue/Black (Sold)
    E46 2003 325xi Sedan Jet Black/Natural Brown Leather
    E30 1989 325i Vert Bronzitbeige Metallic/Natural
    E30 1986 325es Coupe Alpine White/Pearl Beige

Comment

are we counting the hoard of pieces I've got stashed in my garage? because I don't remember what any of them are or where I put them..
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Mine would never look the same every time I play with the puzzle.

Comment

Subtract 8 pieces for rusty e30s.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

It'd probably be a relatively simple puzzle, maybe 100 large pieces. That being said, everyone's missing a piece or two and some replacement pieces are NLA. So everyone is passing around bent and water-damaged pieces to "finish" their puzzle. Half the people are using cheap carboard cutouts instead of actual pieces. But it's ok, we all know what we got.
            sigpic
            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Editors notes:
              Hold your thumb up next to it, like counting how many jelly beans are in the mason jar...

Get the real oem out and start counting? This is what I'm curious about...

But, Maybe its just one piece to the puzzle.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Probably somewhere in the 3000-5000 range if you want to granularize it down to every little piece like nuts and bolts. I’d say somewhere around 40% of the total number are parts that are critical to the car functioning as a useable car. The rest are there due to some sort of government regulation or consumer demand
                1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
                1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

Originally posted by ZeKahr View Post
                  ...consumer demand
                  Meh, 2 out of 4 lug nuts are good enough. Can't believe these damn consumers want ALL of them...
                  sigpic
                  1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                  1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                  1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

As an “old guy”, pre internet and forum, there can be 6,000 pieces or 300. With you tube and forums, it is pretty easy to learn how to do stuff that I paid thousands for back in the ‘90’s.

Right now? I would say 300. In the ‘90’s? I would say 10,000. We just could not search the internet for DIY or even get visual processes via video back then, so, we took it to an Indy. There are only two things I have not done to an e30. Take the motor out and remove the dash. Three if you include dropping the front/rear subframes.

My current situation leads to new experience though.
                    My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                    I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

As a non-daily visitor here, but intensely using, this site is crazy slow. It takes 5 seconds to do anything, which is fine for me, but probably not fine for those under 50.
                      My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                      I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
                        As a non-daily visitor here, but intensely using, this site is crazy slow. It takes 5 seconds to do anything, which is fine for me, but probably not fine for those under 50.
                        Hey, it's free and the info from this site is worth the wait.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
                          Mine would never look the same every time I play with the puzzle.
                          highly relateable rofl! I just did my timing belt for the first time (myself, last replaced in 2012 doh!) and here I am, a month later, waiting on aux fan brackets to arrive from the motherland. New radiator going in... wiring up senders to vdo gauges. Like...wtf, I even lost the washer off the back of the alternator bracket...not sure where that fucker fell too. Refreshed suspension bushings front and rear too... something wrong with me. I can't stop. I just wanna drive.
                          Flickr

Comment

Unlike a puzzle, pieces can be used in ways that aren't 'how it's supposed to go'-

up to a point.

And the final number of said pieces?

Totally negotiable.
                            Front brakes were considered
                            dangerous well into the '20's.

t
                            more spare pieces than assembled puzzles.
                            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                            X