VIN #336 Craigslist Find. S38 Swapped Euro E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few minor updates on the car.

The intake plenum actually has an emblem with an adhesive on it covering the shaft for the butterfly valve that is in the intake plenum as seen in this picture. I thought the motorsport stripe was painted on but it is actually a bmw part number 72601312802.

I was able to source a new emblem so here is the old part that I am keeping for the 'Wall of Shame' parts collection that I have going. I figured if I was going to paint the plenum I might as well add a new M stripe on the plenum.

So I was able to get the plenum and valve cover media blasted down to bare metal and begin the repainting process. There seems to have been a repaint on the plenum before as the paint was just falling off in certain areas and adhered much better in others. I went for the black OEM look with the wrinkle finish. I plan to have the lettering ground down back to the silver polished aluminum look like it came from the factory. Here is after paint on the valve cover and half of the plenum.

Now here is a picture the next day after the wrinkle took affect. Unfortunately it started to drip in a few places but the wrinkle style hides most of that. One thing to notice is this rectangular cutout on the plenum. This is the area closest to the drivers side firewall and was obviously done by somebody after the fact. I believe it was cut and rewelded for clearance between the plenum and either the master cylinder or the heater core lines. I will have to verify when it is back in the car.

I painted the other components Friday and will be doing reassembly this week. With any luck the intake should be back together, the cam tray back on the car, and it will be one step closer to completion. I had ordered new hose clamps for the throttlebodies so those are on and hopefully it will help clean up the engine bay. One issue I can't remember if I told you guys was the brakes. Upon hard braking there would be no response in the brakes immediately. So you would naturally press harder. After some time the brakes would respond and almost immediately lock up from your braking force. Now this car does not use the traditional brake booster and uses the e23/e28 hydroboost system with a brake bomb or accumulator. It it bolted to the funky looking rusty 'mount' off the driver side strut tower. Seen here in this picture. There is another shot showing how tight it is before everything was taken apart.

So I got around to replacing that and it was very tough to remove, even with the entire intake out. I hope to take this apart again and atleast clean up this rusty looking bracket and maybe paint it silver. And I know it doesn't look like it in this photo, but old accumulator on the left and new one on the right. We should now have brakes. :woowoo:

I was able to get my hands on the head that came off the car and thought you all would like to see these pictures. As it turns out there were cracks in 4 or 5 of the combustion chambers. I tried to get some better photos and some of these are tough to see. Obviously cylinder 4 was the worst one as it has 3 cracks!! I guess that explains the lack of compression. Somebody hadn't been doing their maintenance on time.

Cylinder 1 - Two cracks

Cylinder 2 - Appears good

Cylinder 3 - Two cracks

Cylinder 4 - Three cracks

Cylinder 5 - Two cracks

Cylinder 6 - One crack

Here is another close up of cylinder 4.

And for those of you interested, here is the intake port on the s38 head.

As well as the exhaust port.

I did trade this bad head and a small amount of cash for the b36 head i posted about earlier in this thread which only had one small crack. Though I doubt i will ever use it, it can't be a bad thing to have a spare head around. This one looks to only need a little work to be back to good shape. I also replaced those cracked brake fluid lines so I can cross one more thing off the list.

Things left to do as of now:
    - Bolt intake plenum back together
    - Install cam tray and cams
    - Install upgraded timing chain tensioner
    - Install New Water Pump
    - Bolt exhaust onto head
    - Reinstall throttlebodies and intake plenum
    - Reinstall ignition system and new timing/spark plug covers
    - Reinstall radiator and cooling system
    - Weld on hood hinge bracket and install new hood shock
    - Install skid plate
    - Find a radio for the dash that looks period correct

After that we should be back in business. After looking at the cracks in the head, I am still surprised the car even ran!!

318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

The car is sweet an all but everything about it screamed the person who did the swap was a hack. Glad to see its being done properly.

Comment

Cool build I love M88/S38's wish more e30's had them but I guess an S54 is a more economical choice
        1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
        2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
        2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Good stuff. Im sure tom has experience with the brake bomb since he owns a fleet of cars equipped with them, but those symptoms are a classic sign of a bad diaphragm in the brake bomb. The photo of both looks like the bomb is used? I'd heavily consider replacing with new since it would be a horrible PITA to do it when the engine is all back together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

I have the same solution in my V12 swap...

works really well
            Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
            ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
            E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

Love this thread. You have 2 extra cylinders than me, other than that same story!
              Pulling my hair out with all these friggin BMW's:
              2000 M5 Winter beater
              1984 318i Coupe 2.5 S14 going in the car below.
              1988 M3 Lachssilber: I'm the second owner, currently recommissioning.

Comment

is it together yet

is it awesome yet
                cars beep boop

Comment

........how would you like to sell your car to a "nice old german" from Canada?
                  sigpic

Comment

After a few months, it is time for an update.

The car runs!! :devil:

So the last few months have been a whirlwind. I went on a road trip to the east coast with my friend to pick up a lotus elise, which we drove through new york and boston.

And back in Colorado.

Then I took a trip to Texas with my dad and his e46 m3. We stopped by circuit of the america's before my flight home.

I found this gem tucked away in a lonely garage.

But it also had some good company.

Unfortunately, I was offered a job and had to take it so my travels came to an end...

oh yeah, but that means I would now have a paycheck and be able to buy car parts. Remember those center caps I said I needed? Well, I finally got them installed.

And the engine bay looks a little better than before.

If you recall:

And now:

So what about the car? The pungent WunderBaum smell fills my nostrils as i slide into the drivers seat.

It is like a museum, or maybe a time machine to sit in this cockpit.

A twist of the key burbles the engine to life. My alternator must be bad because it has some hesitation.

Almost as if the car is trying to say 'are you sure you want to do that? ' to you. The idle is not lopey but bumbles along like a panting dog, breathing hard but wanting you to throw the ball one more time. As you set off the engine is not rev happy. It feels lethargic in first gear, maybe i'm too used to the peppy m42 these days.

I forgot how mechanical this engine and transmission are. The shifter throw is long. Longer than what I am used to; further back than a normal e30. With the sport seat hunkered down low, your wrist is almost at your ribcage when you go into second. This must be from the longer engine bay in the e24/e28/e34s (they all use the g280 trans mated to the s38).

The clutch is heavy and hard to engage smoothly. You basically take your foot off the clutch pedal completely, feel the engine revs equalize, then go for the gas in a rifle lock and load bolt-action type way. By 3000 rpm I can tell the engine runs better now. Or maybe the butterfly in the intake manifold is actually working since the vacuum lines were replaced.

So what kind of heart does this baby have? A flex of the right ankle pushes you into your seat gently. As the revs climb, the speedometer is trying to keep up and the seat back pushes more and more against you. When you get to 5000 rpm the engine is alive and the zip of the valvetrain sounds like a hummingbird next to your head. The exhaust is not raspy like other s38's I have driven, but quiet. Maybe that 325i muffler is a bottleneck and overdoing its job.

A third gear pull gets you up to 180+ km pretty easily. Not to mention the torque. Wow! It just pushes you back in your seat again before you realize your foot isn't even all the way down to the floor so you push it down more and it has more to give! Now I know why Lucifer's Hammer doesn't get driven in high boost mode often as it has twice the horsepower as this! (4.0L S38 Stroker Turbo http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=26880 )

A stab of the brakes squeals the tires. That hydroboost system works great on here. Somehow the rears grab while going straight with only 205s on them. Maybe it has to do with the longer 3.64 gears.

Now there are a few issues I need to sort out. The s38 is a hot engine and after only a minute of idling at a stoplight temps creep up to 3/4. With the heat blasting and the puny ac fan going it barely keeps it under control. I've got a spal pusher coming which should fix that.

Bits on the car are looking a bit faded so i need to repaint them black, as well as get new uncracked fog lights installed. I am hesitant to install them. I got a good deal on my spare set and I don't want them to get cracked too. There is a fuel leak from the gas tank somewhere, I saw it spilling out when i filled it up and could smell it afterwards.

The car has died on me a couple of times when I go to restart it in the parking lot. Luckily I have had friends riding with who helped me push start it. I changed batteries and only had 13 v at the battery while idling so I got a new voltage reg coming.

I still need to title the thing. I went to a dealer to get the process started with a VIN verification tonight. I tried to get him to mark it as a 1986 model but I made the mistake of bringing and showing him the shipping paperwork that called it an 84 so he wouldn't do it. His database could not decode the VIN. I am going to see what the local BMW dealer can do for me, otherwise I might just bring a VIN decoder with the car to another dealer and say I didn't have any other paperwork showing otherwise. Any thoughts? If I title the car, I want it to reflect the actualy correct information about the car.

Anyway, only one more teaser photo at the moment of when I got gas. More to come after its up to snuff.

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

you should verify that you're getting the full throttle travel out of your gas pedal.

I'm glad it's together and running.
                      cars beep boop

Comment

I have been wondering about this car. I am glad to hear it is coming along nicely. I look forward to seeing it finished.
                        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Great update, and glad to see she's back on the road!
                          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Good work!

If you're having temp control issues, I'd also swap out your radiator - it's looking pretty old and ratty in the pics. That + the spal should sort it.
                            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                              Good work!

If you're having temp control issues, I'd also swap out your radiator - it's looking pretty old and ratty in the pics. That + the spal should sort it.
                              Yes, i was planning on that. i heard the s54 z3 radiator might work but I need to confirm dimensions first to see if it will fit.can anyone confirm dimensions for me?

Comment

I have one here you can test fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X