Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome photos as usual.

But the best part is watching you enjoy the car from afar.
    i.e. all the work you've done in the previous 19 pages of this thread are paying off - just turn the key & go.
    E30 320i vert
    But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Originally posted by Tzantushka View Post
      Awesome photos as usual.

But the best part is watching you enjoy the car from afar.
      i.e. all the work you've done in the previous 19 pages of this thread are paying off - just turn the key & go.
      Thanks! That has been the goal - turn the key and go!

Comment

Yesterday I replaced the alternator on my E30 318is. The only one I could find that wasn't in backorder was a reman unit from CarQuest, which happened to be what was already in the car for the last 7 years.

Last year my 318is battery died due to a completely worn voltage regulator. So after replacing the VR and battery everything was good. The battery died in my wife's car recently, so I decided to recheck the charging voltage of the 318is. It was below 13, which prompted me to replace the alternator.

The CarQuest replacement is garbage. The bolts holding the housing together were too long, one cracking the plastic that routes the wiring on the back. Another making contact with a power steering hose when installed. I transferred the good plastic from my old one and swapped the long bolts from old to new as well. The threaded holes in the new housing were all stripped, so I had to tap new threads and use new bolts.

After a couple of hours of problem solving, the reman unit is installed and charging the battery at 14 volts. We'll file this under #vintageprep.

2023-01-06_06-49-24 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

2023-01-06_06-49-36 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

2023-01-06_06-48-51 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

2023-01-06_06-49-13 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

2023-01-06_06-49-02 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

2023-01-06_06-48-20 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

2023-01-06_06-47-44 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

2023-01-06_06-47-08 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

2023-01-06_06-47-31 by mike.bevels, on Flickr​

Comment

Yesterday I took my 318is for its first drive in weeks. What can I say, I've been busy with the E36 M3 sedan.

This was the first drive since installing the new alternator, a CarQuest 90A remanufactured unit purchased through Advance Auto Parts. Things were going well until the new alternator start making horrible sounds and shooting sparking everywhere. Sparks like I was taking a grinder to metal. So, after calling Advance Auto Parts customer service to complain, I was transferred incorrectly THREE times, exponentially increasing my level of frustration.

Removal only took 15 minutes this time around. I returned it to a local store, where the store manager was actually very nice. Given I have no other options, I rolled the dice and ordered another one which should arrive next week. In the meantime, I've ordered new alternator bracket bushings as the old ones are a little tired.

I did manage to take some photos before the "new" alternator went south.

DSC_0586 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0597 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0614 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0605 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0623 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
            This was the first drive since installing the new alternator, a CarQuest 90A remanufactured unit purchased through Advance Auto Parts. Things were going well until the new alternator start making horrible sounds and shooting sparking everywhere. Sparks like I was taking a grinder to metal. So, after calling Advance Auto Parts customer service to complain, I was transferred incorrectly THREE times, exponentially increasing my level of frustration.

Removal only took 15 minutes this time around. I returned it to a local store, where the store manager was actually very nice. Given I have no other options, I rolled the dice and ordered another one which should arrive next week. In the meantime, I've ordered new alternator bracket bushings as the old ones are a little tired.

I did manage to take some photos before the "new" alternator went south.
            You'll be a veteran mechanic before you know it. I feel your pain!

Ride looks great Mike!

Do you still have the original Alternator? I find better luck finding an alternator / Starter repair shop that been around for a bit with an old dude to rebuild them

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post

You'll be a veteran mechanic before you know it. I feel your pain!

Ride looks great Mike!

Do you still have the original Alternator? I find better luck finding an alternator / Starter repair shop that been around for a bit with an old dude to rebuild them
              Thanks! Unfortunately the alternator being replaced is the same CarQuest make and model, not the original. This one lasted 8 years or so. Otherwise I would definitely get the original rebuilt!

FCP Euro sells an 80A version, but I believe my car requires the 90A version. Though I don't know if it really matters or if the housings are any different.

Comment

You can get a Bosch reman AL0152X on ebay for ~$250, or an AC Delco 3341893 reman on Rockauto for ~$165 plus shipping. You may also simply try a new regulator 12311726022, which is about $20 for the Hella unit, on your original alternator.

As to amperage, I think the 90a is for our typically equipped A/C cars, whereas it might be easy enough to find/use a 65a alternator on a more typically equipped Euro 318i with no fogs, no AC, and a very basic audio setup. An 80a might work, but running the AC, stereo, and all of the lights at night in summer might be a struggle to maintain battery charge.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                  You can get a Bosch reman AL0152X on ebay for ~$250, or an AC Delco 3341893 reman on Rockauto for ~$165 plus shipping. You may also simply try a new regulator 12311726022, which is about $20 for the Hella unit, on your original alternator.

As to amperage, I think the 90a is for our typically equipped A/C cars, whereas it might be easy enough to find/use a 65a alternator on a more typically equipped Euro 318i with no fogs, no AC, and a very basic audio setup. An 80a might work, but running the AC, stereo, and all of the lights at night in summer might be a struggle to maintain battery charge.
                  Thanks, roguetoaster! I didn't know these existed. The AC Delco unit looks identical to the CarQuest unit. The Bosch unit looks nice.

The second CarQuest alternator is being delivered today. When the new bushings arrive next week I'll install it. If it's DOA, I'll go with the Bosch AL0152X for round three.

The voltage regulator on the old unit is fairly new. I replaced it about a year ago as the original was worn down to nubs. So I think that's still working correctly, it's just a tired alternator.

Comment

Today I installed alternator number two. The second alternator came in MUCH better condition. No stripped threads. No broken pieces. It did have the extra long bolts, but I swapped those out quickly from my existing alternator. The plastic wiring guide was also different (but not broken), so I swapped that as well.

2023-01-17_07-57-04 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

I ordered new alternator bracket bushings, which arrived today. The old ones were quite past it. The alternator sits nicely (and securely) with the new bushings pressed in.

2023-01-17_07-49-31 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

2023-01-17_07-49-27 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Bushings installed (the old ones just fell out):

2023-01-17_07-49-16 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Here is the difference in the plastic wiring guide. The curved piece is what was installed on the previous alternator (and is what works):

2023-01-17_07-48-57 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

The new one even came with a new supressor installed, where as the last one did not. And some beauty shots...

2023-01-17_07-50-29 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

2023-01-17_07-54-05 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

And it's in:

2023-01-17_07-48-49 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

And it's charging (even better than the last one):

2023-01-17_07-48-36 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Tomorrow I'll go for a drive. Fingers crossed it doesn't end in sparks like the last time.

2023-01-17_07-47-34 by mike.bevels, on Flickr
                    Last edited by mike.bmw; 01-17-2023, 06:51 PM.

Comment

14.2 is quite high for a charge, if at that level consistently it will kill batteries
                      sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                        14.2 is quite high for a charge, if at that level consistently it will kill batteries
                        I think 14.2 volts is within spec. The voltage regulator is rated for 14V. Everything I've read indicates that when the car is running, the voltage at the battery should be between 13.8 and 14.2 volts.

Comment

Keep an eye on it, I've had motorcycles melt batteries at 14.5, which is not a fun experience
                          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post

I think 14.2 volts is within spec. The voltage regulator is rated for 14V. Everything I've read indicates that when the car is running, the voltage at the battery should be between 13.8 and 14.2 volts.

This is right for all e30s. Just need to be above 14v for optimal charging but nothing above 14.5.
                            Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                            BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

When worlds collide...

DSC_0588 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0728 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0621 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0586 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0719 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0711 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0684 by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

Pulled some film out? Cars are looking pretty joyful!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                                X