The Latest & Greatest: 1994 (E30) 316i Daytona Violet Design Edition Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roadrunner View Post
    I want to send him a picture of me giving the touring a big hug and a thank you message telling him how much I love the car, but I have no idea how that would come across. I guess we'll see! ;)
    In for car humping pics! ;D

Car looks wonderful, Daytona Violet is one of my favorite BMW colors, its seems like the cars you both have cover the whole spectrum of wonderful, non-typical BMW colors we see regularly. I dream about making my Alpine car some sexy color
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by MadMatrix View Post
      Heh, thanks You Mate :)
      I found a half of red design edition interior :D
      Some pics in my topic.

After new photos i must say it only one thing... Awesome overall condition of this touring! :)
      Where You want use a green light bulbs? U want make a red indictaros in rear?
      The red design edition interior is going to look sooo good in your touring, I can't wait to see it! :mrgreen: Good luck finding the rest of the set!

The green light bulbs are still a mystery to me. Christmas lights?

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
      beautiful color. this car deserves an S50.
      Thanks! :) I'd better start saving up if I want an engine like that someday.

Do you guys have any suggestions for how to go about planning / learning to do an engine swap someday, assuming I decide to go that route? With a couple of notable exceptions, when I talk to car guys in real life (I have yet to find any other women interested in cars) to try to learn more, here are the types of reactions I normally get:

a) They laugh in my face or look at me with an amused expression like I'm a talking cat or something.
      b) They think I'm only pretending to be interested, don't believe that I actually own my own car, etc.
      c) They will only respond directly to my partner if he's with me instead of responding to me (out of "respect" to him?)
      d) They're only interested in newer cars and don't know why I would want to go through all of this effort for an "old" car.
      ...and so on.

The typical female reaction to my car, in case you were wondering:

a) "You should just get a new car! Why would you want a car you have to keep fixing?!"
      b) (...zones out...) "You should totally straighten your hair! Why don't you ever wear nail polish?!"
      etc.

Originally posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
      I really want to open that bag to count how many "Fuchs" were given by the previous owner. ;D
      Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
      LOL, when I saw your other post this exact joke popped in my head..beat me to it.
      Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
      Dying
      Hahaha, I was killing myself laughing when I read that!

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      In for car humping pics! ;D

Car looks wonderful, Daytona Violet is one of my favorite BMW colors, its seems like the cars you both have cover the whole spectrum of wonderful, non-typical BMW colors we see regularly. I dream about making my Alpine car some sexy color
      I was hoping to be able to give the car a bath first before snuggling up to it. ;)

Yeah, we definitely have quite a few nice BMWs between the two of us. I bring down the average right now by only having two cars (I know, I know. "Two?! I guess that's how you was raised!"), though one of them is technically sold and just waiting to be shipped to its new owner. Shockwave is the one with the real problem. :p

Nothing wrong with Alpine, by the way! Isn't your car the one with the cool flag decal?

Will post more pictures later today! :)
      1994 E30 316i Design Edition Touring / 1991 E30 318is / 1992 E34 M5
      Instagram: @ro4d_runn3r

Comment

Do you guys have any suggestions for how to go about planning / learning to do an engine swap someday, assuming I decide to go that route? With a couple of notable exceptions, when I talk to car guys in real life (I have yet to find any other women interested in cars) to try to learn more, here are the types of reactions I normally get:

a) They laugh in my face or look at me with an amused expression like I'm a talking cat or something.
        b) They think I'm only pretending to be interested, don't believe that I actually own my own car, etc.
        c) They will only respond directly to my partner if he's with me instead of responding to me (out of "respect" to him?)
        d) They're only interested in newer cars and don't know why I would want to go through all of this effort for an "old" car.
        ...and so on.
        read stuff on the internet, people suck irl

r3v's got a couple in depth threads covering 24 valve swaps..
        cars beep boop

Comment

Thanks! :) I'd better start saving up if I want an engine like that someday.
          Given that the car isn't really going to be a daily driver, just spend some time with it in the spring and see how you feel about it.

I still think an M42B18 swap would be a great upgrade for the car that would still keep it close enough to how it was delivered to keep it 'original'. They make a lot more power than the M40B16 in the car, are cheap to buy used, easy to swap, and we actually have a chance of finding one locally with low mileage in great condition.

Do you guys have any suggestions for how to go about planning / learning to do an engine swap someday, assuming I decide to go that route?
          I'm looking forward to learning that together, even if we don't decide to go that route with your car.

Yeah, we definitely have quite a few nice BMWs between the two of us. I bring down the average right now by only having two cars (I know, I know. "Two?! I guess that's how you was raised!"), though one of them is technically sold and just waiting to be shipped to its new owner. Shockwave is the one with the real problem. :p
          I don't have a problem with it if you don't. :p

Comment

your car has convinced me to do a color swap to my rolling shell project that Im planning. Beautiful car!!

Comment

More pics of the car! :D I'll get more exterior shots when I've had a chance to actually clean it up, but here's how it looks after weathering its first Canadian snowstorm:

Now that the snow has died down, I can start making a list of items to attend to. The worn shift knob is one of the only giveaways that this car has been driven. That'll be one of the first things to replace.

The 4-way hazard button needs to be fixed, and a couple of the buttons are worn. Really need to get some rubber mats in there to protect the carpets, too. It's impossible to keep them clean otherwise with our gravel driveway.

I love the cargo cover:

I think it's safe to say I won't be transporting any dogs in this car, but just in case:

The rear seats, including the biggest "flaw" in the fabric we could find. :shock:

Yeah, I think I can live with that. ;)

Hopefully this will give you a sense for the texture of the fabric is like up close on the door cards and seats:

On to the front seats. It's hard to tell these have been sat in at all!

My first "mod" to this car. :p

The headliner is in excellent shape. The sunroof works well, the tracks just need a bit of grease. :)

I think it also needs me behind the wheel driving it. ;D Argghhh, I can't wait to get some nice weather!

Last edited by Roadrunner; 11-22-2016, 02:22 PM.

Comment

FYI, not a 'dog' net, its a cargo net. use it if you fill the back with stuff higher than the seats (or put objects which can turn into projectiles) then the stuff doesn't find its way to the back of your head in a panic stop or accident.

Comment

FYI, not a 'dog' net, its a cargo net. use it if you fill the back with stuff higher than the seats (or put objects which can turn into projectiles) then the stuff doesn't find its way to the back of your head in a panic stop or accident.
                  Ah, that explains why it was so hard to lift that net. The spring on it is really strong.

If the weather warms up enough I'll take more pictures with some better equipment that will capture the colour of the fabric better. I think these pictures turned out pretty well for an older mobile, though, and it definitely gives you a great idea what it's like inside the car.

Comment

I think you need to consider "one upping" your car hoarding partner and put a V8 in it. M60 would fit nicely in the car and help when you're hauling all those rare parts

Mine is one of many Alpine E30s, though mine currently has a LTW flag across the front
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                      read stuff on the internet, people suck irl

r3v's got a couple in depth threads covering 24 valve swaps..
                      Good advice, thanks! :) I should have lots of time to read over the winter, it's just hard to know where to even begin. I'll definitely check out those threads on r3v.

Originally posted by Shftr8 View Post
                      your car has convinced me to do a color swap to my rolling shell project that Im planning. Beautiful car!!
                      Nice! :up: I'd love to see how it turns out.

I've always seen that part referred to as a "dog net" or "dog guard," but that makes a lot of sense. Good to know!

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      I think you need to consider "one upping" your car hoarding partner and put a V8 in it. M60 would fit nicely in the car and help when you're hauling all those rare parts

Mine is one of many Alpine E30s, though mine currently has a LTW flag across the front
                      Wow, you guys must have a lot of faith in me with all of these ambitious engine suggestions, haha. ;)

That's the car I was thinking of, just wanted to make sure I was remembering the right one. I think it looks awesome!

Comment

That interior is fantastic!! I have to stop following this thread or I will be searching for a similar touring! Sooo cool.
                        My previous build (currently E30-less)
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

I've been trying to learn a bit more about the M40B16 to give it a chance before casting judgement. Here's what I keep reading about the M40:
                          - it's proven to be the worst of the E30 engines
                          - many documented problems
                          - common upgrades: none
                          - if you're looking for more power, consider an engine swap...

Okay, so there's not a lot of love out there for the poor thing. It makes me wonder why they ended up putting it in the design edition tourings in the first place when there were so many better options at the time?

E30 Zone has the best description of one of the common problems to look out for with the M40:

If the engine sound can be described as "sounding like a skeleton wanking in a dustbin" then your cam is very likely worn.

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                          That interior is fantastic!! I have to stop following this thread or I will be searching for a similar touring! Sooo cool.
                          Aw, thanks! If you're in the market for an E30 anyway, what would stop you from going after one? :p

Comment

What an amazing touring. Apart from it's unique paint and interior, I love how it's a 1994. I forgot how deep into the 90s e30s were produced.

Everybody wants to swap in a 6 cylinder, but personally I'd feel compelled to swap in a stroked M42.
                            My Feedback

Comment

BMW 3 Serie ➤ Bekijk het aanbod van vandaag! Occasions en nieuw. Elke deal een groot verschil. Dat is ② 2dehands Auto's.

Found another techno design touring for sale, dirt cheap and much less clean. Not really that desirable in Europe as far as I now
                              Instagram : makeitsnap

1985 e28 520i

Comment

Originally posted by bostonvert View Post
                                http://www.2dehands.be/autos/bmw/3-s...319606062.html

Found another techno design touring for sale, dirt cheap and much less clean. Not really that desirable in Europe as far as I now
                                That's what's so interesting about these cars: they aren't considered special yet in Germany, likely because of their motors (which they can't easily swap due to typical ridiculous government intervention), and a good one can be had for relatively little. The total cost of purchasing our touring and importing it here doubled the cost of the purchase of the car itself in Germany, and that means the car we selected really had to be worth it.

I'm confident that design edition tourings are pretty rare, but there have been a handful of them for sale for as long as I've been looking.

Most of them are (unbelievably) under €2,000 and in poor condition:

All of these cars tend to have lowish mileage by North American standards, but they're visibly rusty, have considerable damage to the interior fabric, and are likely in tired mechanical condition. These cars might make good daily drivers in Europe, but they're not good restoration candidates and not worth importing.

Once you start looking at cars over €2,000, you start to find decent project car restoration candidates:

Essentially anything under €4,500 tends to be a project in need of a lot of work, and the very few cars with very low mileage in great condition like ours I've seen were priced at €7,500 and up.

As always, condition and mileage are hugely important. ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X