No announcement yet.

A Tale of 2 Sedans M42/S52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had the small coolant hose under the intake manifold on the M42 fail, so the green machine was down for a couple weeks while I cleaned up everything, replaced some fuel lines, hoses, rebuilt fuel injectors, and powder coated the intake manifold

I am not sure if I had a small vacuum leak or it's just the rebuilt fuel injectors, but it's running great right now.

I also had to deal with the sunroof, the cables and mech were all broken, digging into the cost of repair it was going to be well over $450 and still had risk or quirks, and honestly I never use. So I got a CF delete panel that not only looked great, but sealed up the roof. I did retain the gutter setup should water ever leak in, but between the sound deadening under the carpet, sunroof and cheap turkish door seals, the car is very quiet with the windows up

Now i just need to wrap the roof of the car and I am done messing with the green M42 *knock on wood*

Comment

and onto the S52 car, it's been running great, I have amassed a huge pile of body panels and trim pieces in hopes I would have gotten in painted this summer, but nobody is getting back to me and COVID has pushed everything so far behind schedule (included a 4 car garage/barn/workshop i was hoping to build this year).

But I did get a new strut brace, and cannot get it to fit
      I tried jacking one side, pushing things around a bit, but need to bring struts together /closer about 1-2mm to fit over the lip, any suggestions?

Comment

Grind the inside of the strut bar ring a hair to get it to fit.

Comment

I was able to pull the strut brace on with some clamps, but then removed to do some work, and then made a mad dash to a paint shop for paintjob over the winter.

I REALLLLLY wanted to paint the car Brewster Green, but the shop didn't want to tackle a new color, and literally no other shop in VT that I contacted was willing to do a full paint job. So i dropped the car off with new valance, fenders, trim, bumpers, and more and am looking forward to some updates...

With the M42 green sedan packed away for the winter with my CRX, i have been getting anxious to work on something. So I occupied my time with some foolish spending...

First up, new cluster made to my (some say odd) specs:

I wanted to accentuate the two gauges i cared about the most (tach and temp), only thing i really wanted that I could not get from E30 Clusters in Poland was Fahrenheit digital temp and oil pressure, but I am thinking of doing a separate oil pressure gauge.

I also somehow ended up with two Left side NOS French high beams... Planning on seeing if I can fit on my Bosch Euro headlights when i can pull them from the car at paint and if not, i guess sell to some turbo folks running headlight intake on the right....

and the last recent purchase of goodies I am just sitting on like Smog... New billet door handles:

itching to have a project, also considering LSeat covers for my Recaro SR-Ds, but cannot find any pics of them on those seats.... Anyone done Recaros with covers from Lseat??

And lastly, i got drunk on New Years Eve and bid on a 2002 project on BAT
          Which was crazy considering i am about to deploy for a year, but if it works out, i guess i have a K swap project for my return in 2022....

Comment

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
            And lastly, i got drunk on New Years Eve and bid on a 2002 project on BAT
            Which was crazy considering i am about to deploy for a year, but if it works out, i guess i have a K swap project for my return in 2022....
            Normally I dont support getting drunk and doing dumb shit, but this is the best thing you can do lol

Link to car?
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Normally I dont support getting drunk and doing dumb shit, but this is the best thing you can do lol

Link to car?
              I just got outbid, which is great because COVID cancelled a 4 car garage/barn build i hoped to do this year and having the car sit for a year while i was gone wasn't going to be any good. I woke up and got to a computer and looked at it and had a little panic when i saw the photos and realized it doesn't even have door locks. But over the past few days i started getting myself pumped up. Despite many angry comments, the price i bid wasn't bad and it would definitely be a great candidate for the k swap 2002 i have always wanted. But it was definitely foolish and I had no business buying a project right now.

Bid for the chance to own a 1973 BMW 2002 Project at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #41,529.

Comment

I swung by the paint shop and snagged the headlights so i had something to tinker with on cold days.

Picked up Tangent adapters for Bosch headlights, Morimoto Mini H1 8.0 and some 3800k bulbs and got to work.

Sealed with flowable silicone:

Had to make slight modification since both Frenchies were Left side, but easy enough with a drill and file. Used 3x adjusters on this side instead of the standard 2x to maximize adjustability with non-standard mounting points

Super happy with how they came out

Comment

Somehow while looking for seats I got lost, and now I have these beautiful wheels in route. The guys at Compomotive have been great to work with to get the color I was looking for. What’s everyone running for 16” tires, 205/50?

Comment

Curious, why such a large oil catch can on the m42? Were you having problems with oil intrusion?

Love the wheels and awesome resto. Great work. Keep it coming!

My 1991 318is Progression Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Nairb View Post
                      Curious, why such a large oil catch can on the m42? Were you having problems with oil intrusion? Love the wheels and awesome resto. Great work. Keep it coming!
                      Honestly, because it was a cheapo Amazon catch can and only came in one size. After doing the mess under intake I was seeing a fair amount of oil in the throttle and intake, this was $20 so I figured I would try it out. And thanks! Hoping for an update from paint in the next month.

Comment

Been working on the M42 car, giving a good once over since I am deploying and I want my wife to be able to enjoy it while I'm gone...

Had a drone in front wheel bearing, so I put in brand new SKF bearings/hubs (so nice to do on a car without any rust

While i was in there, new Lemforder end links (old ones were shot) and new Rein bushings.... Possibly the biggest PITA i have done so far

And while I had it up and out, some badly needed brake TLC, new boots, rubber, Zimmerman rotors, OEM pads, and cerakoted the front calipers.

Comment

The secret to not hating your life when doing front swaybar bushings is ordering a set of these:

I put them on all of my cars, simply because the stock ones are such a PITA to install.
                          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                            The secret to not hating your life when doing front swaybar bushings is ordering a set of these: https://www.iemotorsport.com/product...mount-kit-e30/ I put them on all of my cars, simply because the stock ones are such a PITA to install.
                            Looking back, I really should have, I like that approach a lot. My S52 swap has ST sway bar kit that was a breeze, but I had these Rein bushings kicking around from who knows when, was trying to keep things a little softer, what a pain. I also swapped out the 95A diff bushing for an 80A, had I been removing the diff I would have put an OEM rubber one in.

Comment

nice attention to detail. How much oil are you getting in that catch can? I have the same can on my turbo but noticed my mess under the intake delete also collects some oils at the base of the intake boot port.
                              318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                              '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

The few times I drove it at the end of this winter it filled with water, a little oil but like 90%+ water. Now that it’s warmer out I’m hoping it will cut down the condensation so I can get a better handle on how much oil I’m getting. I’ll try to pull the throttle body to see if it’s still clean.

Comment

Working...
                                X