No announcement yet.

2.8L M20 9.8:1 stroker build: my 323i reincarnated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't you buy a new or refurbished AFM and then have someone use a MOATES emulator and burn you a new dyno tuned optimised chip?
    We're out there in here.

Comment

it cant be that hard to find a decent AFM, the alternative is quite a bit more involved than an AFM swap
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I just sold a fully refurbed AFM for $175. BavRest still does it, but it's half the price of an MS2.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Got the wideband installed over the weekend. Wiring had some difficulty because it seemed the O2 sensor wasn't getting any 12V power. I ended up wiring the output of the fuel pump relay to the output of the O2 sensor relay, so that whenever the pump was running, the O2 sensor would be too. Which is fine. I'm just wondering if that means my O2 sensor was never getting power..... Actually I know it wasn't. Cus i wasn't getting any voltage to it measured with my multimeter. Not at the relay input or at the pin at the O2 sensor plug while the car was running. But I'm pretty sure it would still work because the 12V is just for the heater... but idk.

Anyways, here's a readout of my car at various RPMs sitting in my driveway in neutral. Looks like I have a ways to go to perfection.

O2 sensor is working overtime to correct. But it looks like it's doing a really good job at correcting. I think I will be messing with my fuel pressure and maybe the AFM a bit to try to get it better. Car seems to be driving well enough in the meantime.

In other news, also put in the 750il master cylinder. Pedal feel is like a brick wall but it still takes quite a bit of effort to push the brakes. I'm thinking since my brake booster check valve is smaller that it could be reducing the amount of boost significantly. Will put a simple coupler in place of the check valve and see if that makes a difference. If it does, I'm off to find a bigger/ better flowing check valve. Or maybe just OEM.
          '86 Burgundrot 325 2.8 stroker.

Build thread

Other cars:
          2000 Porsche Boxster
          2006 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
          1972 Porsche 914

Comment

AFM rebuild tutorial found on YouTube:

Video tutorial on how to refurbish/rebuild the Bosch Motronic air flow meter. Similar procedures can be applies to other units of similar design which can be...
            Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Finally took my car to the body shop. The radiator support had actually quite a bit of damage (somehow?) so I decided to do it right and replace it. The car still needs a few tweaks to get it perfect, they said I could bring it back if I noticed anything so I'll take them up on that offer. Right now the center piece that the kidney sit on is a little higher than the rest so the hood doesn't want to close when the kidney grill is in. But I have +1 grill! Haha.

This pic I just have it set in there after closing the hood :/

I decided to paint the fender myself which was kind of a bad move. Cus it was a total pain haha. The paint match I got is actually really really good however the shine is a little less than the rest of the car. I'll try more buffing but it might need another coat of clear.

Build thread

Other cars:
              2000 Porsche Boxster
              1972 Porsche 914

Comment

I'd give it a few more coats of clear. You can kind of see the depth of the clear on the other panels. Factory clear coats tend to be thicker than most people think.

Color match looks really good too.
                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                  I'd give it a few more coats of clear. You can kind of see the depth of the clear on the other panels. Factory clear coats tend to be thicker than most people think.

Color match looks really good too.
                  Good call.

Build thread

Other cars:
                  2000 Porsche Boxster
                  1972 Porsche 914

Comment

eyy! that looks great! I have a spare lip that should fit that bumper if you need one.
                    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                      eyy! that looks great! I have a spare lip that should fit that bumper if you need one.
                      Thanks but I had bought a new one for my 323 that should fit fine. Although, have no idea what the correct hardware to mount it is since last time I clearly ordered the wrong stuff haha.

Edit: shoot it looks like the "e" one is actually different. Mine has the brake ducts in them
                      Last edited by betz; 04-25-2018, 02:00 PM.

Build thread

Other cars:
                      2000 Porsche Boxster
                      1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Burgundrot is my favorite color ever

Comment

86+ early models and verts with diving boards have a different front valance and lip. More squared off in the front vs. the sloped in one on the 85 and earlier cars. You'll want to look for the '772' euro valance if you decide to fully convert the front.

This one's mine with the 772 valance and 'Jimmy Hill' lip:

I've got a set of those Melber weaves too, waiting for tires to go on, we'll have similar cars haha.

Originally posted by betz View Post
                          Thanks but I had bought a new one for my 323 that should fit fine. Although, have no idea what the correct hardware to mount it is since last time I clearly ordered the wrong stuff haha.

Edit: shoot it looks like the "e" one is actually different. Mine has the brake ducts in them

Comment

Jimmy hill lip is the greatest lip of all time.
                            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by Aufbau Principle View Post
                              86+ early models and verts with diving boards have a different front valance and lip. More squared off in the front vs. the sloped in one on the 85 and earlier cars. You'll want to look for the '772' euro valance if you decide to fully convert the front.

This one's mine with the 772 valance and 'Jimmy Hill' lip:

I've got a set of those Melber weaves too, waiting for tires to go on, we'll have similar cars haha.
                              Sweet ride. Pretty much where I'm trying to get my car, only... burgundy. Lol. And maybe some Mtech1 bits if the opportunity arises.

I actually have a euro valence (this one) but I don't even really know how to mount it to be honest.

The "Jimmy Hill" lip... is it this one?

Looks really nice.

Build thread

Other cars:
                              2000 Porsche Boxster
                              1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Originally posted by betz View Post
                                Sweet ride. Pretty much where I'm trying to get my car, only... burgundy. Lol. And maybe some Mtech1 bits if the opportunity arises.

I actually have a euro valence (this one) but I don't even really know how to mount it to be honest.

The "Jimmy Hill" lip... is it this one?

Looks really nice.
                                That's the lip. I got lucky and snatched mine up from a local, wasn't about to drop that kind of $$$$ for a lip on a daily driver. I believe there are a few fiberglass copies made and a few guys in Australia who can source them.

You need this valance to mount the 'facelift early model' lips: http://www.classiceuroparts.com/prod...ler-lip-apron/

I got an aftermarket one from German eBay instead of OE. Came bent up in the mail but straightened out OK.

The one you have is the 85 and below lip. It would let you run the 'Pfeba' lip. I had one before I found the Jimmy Hill. It's also a nice look:

Comment

Working...
                                X