No announcement yet.

2.8L M20 9.8:1 stroker build: my 323i reincarnated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, that exhaust looks incredible. If I had found someone willing to take on my exhaust project I'm 98% sure I would've ended up following through with my headers. Fab shops said no, small guys had 6mo wait and crazy turn around time, etc etc. Hard to find a regular exhaust shop that does quality work- I'm sure that setup really opened your car up.

I, too, am getting a pre-alpha. I sourced a 502 MAF for mine as well- I'll PM you when I get mine in and set up.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
      Wow, that exhaust looks incredible. If I had found someone willing to take on my exhaust project I'm 98% sure I would've ended up following through with my headers. Fab shops said no, small guys had 6mo wait and crazy turn around time, etc etc. Hard to find a regular exhaust shop that does quality work- I'm sure that setup really opened your car up.

I, too, am getting a pre-alpha. I sourced a 502 MAF for mine as well- I'll PM you when I get mine in and set up.
      Thanks, and, nice!

I feel like finding the right people to work on your car is almost like dating, haha. Most of them don't work out. And the end results... not so fun. But when you find the one, you stick with them forever. I'm super glad that I found my exhaust guy. And I don't know if I could have gotten through all this without my BMW guy (Ken at Motorspeed west). Like, how often do you find someone who knows how to tune L-jetronic, who has a 323i E30 that he built a stroker for, and is super reasonable with prices?? He's a keeper for sure, lol.

But yeah, I opted not to "source" a MAF. Got mine off Rockauto. I'm just so done with crappy AFMs I just want to do this whole MAF thing done totally right and eliminate any question marks. I'll be glad I went with a brand new Bosch MAF, I'm sure.
      '86 Burgundrot 325 2.8 stroker.

Build thread

Other cars:
      2000 Porsche Boxster
      2006 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
      1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Originally posted by betz View Post
        I feel like finding the right people to work on your car is almost like dating, haha. Most of them don't work out. And the end results... not so fun. But when you find the one, you stick with them forever. I'm super glad that I found my exhaust guy. And I don't know if I could have gotten through all this without my BMW guy (Ken at Motorspeed west). Like, how often do you find someone who knows how to tune L-jetronic, who has a 323i E30 that he built a stroker for, and is super reasonable with prices?? He's a keeper for sure, lol.
        lol does he give you butterflies every time you see him?

In all actuality, thats super cool that you found this guy, stuff like that is rare, especially outside of california. I don't think I'd be even remotely as deep into cars as I am if I didn't live here
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Thanks! I should be hearing back from him around August 9th for the pre-alpha PCB. Apparently, he should have them in by then. So I will be getting it shortly afterwards. I will be using the 502 MAF from the 92-93 M50B25NV.

https://www.sssquid.com/v3/e30-maf-conversion/
          That's sooon! Good to know.

Thanks

Originally posted by 2mAn
          The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

That's the stock cat mated up to the headers? Decided I'm sticking with the M20 in my car and getting a set of IE headers from a friend, will be looking for something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Aufbau Principle View Post
              That's the stock cat mated up to the headers? Decided I'm sticking with the M20 in my car and getting a set of IE headers from a friend, will be looking for something like this.
              No, it's this cat mated up to the headers. And they are the IE headers. BTW, not so easy to fit, I had to drop the sway bar and do 4-5-6 before 1-2-3. But the fitment overall is great, just that long tube headers are.. long. lol

Looks like the PCB's are getting assembled and tested now. Should be hearing from the squidmaster soon.

Also decided to also start a side project, converting my Outback XT into a Legacy GT. Basically, remove all the subframe spacers, swap some suspension components, the driveshaft, shift linkages, and steering rack. Should be cool.

Build thread

Other cars:
              2000 Porsche Boxster
              1972 Porsche 914

Comment

how far below the lollipop bracket do the collectors go ?
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                  how far below the lollipop bracket do the collectors go ?
                  I haven't measured it, but eyeballing it it's about 1/2"-3/4". They're about as tight as you could get to the body while still being able to fit the V-band clamps.

Build thread

Other cars:
                  2000 Porsche Boxster
                  1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Test fitting MAF and custom intake. Will have some trouble with the ICV I suspect. Will try to use stock elbow.

I think the MAF actually ends up in a pretty good spot for fitting the stock airbox. I'll try and see if I can make that work.
                    Last edited by betz; 08-16-2018, 08:41 PM.

Build thread

Other cars:
                    2000 Porsche Boxster
                    1972 Porsche 914

Comment

That looks great! Stock elbow and stock airbox means nobody will ever notice and you won’t have to make any changes on this side when it’s time to smog
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

That MAF looks really nice in there. I have a similar setup for the m30 AFM.

I also ran into the issue of IVC plumbing and just deleted it all together. Couldn't justify the price for one of the fancy
                        silicone boots with the port built in. Car runs really well without the ICV. Not sure if you're into that, but it's doable.

Can't wait to see how it runs with the MAF, very cool!
                        Last edited by sampayne; 08-17-2018, 07:54 PM.

The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

Originally posted by sampayne View Post
                          That MAF looks really nice in there. I have a similar setup for the m30 AFM.

I also ran into the issue of IVC plumbing and just deleted it all together. Couldn't justify the price for one of the fancy
                          silicone boots with the port built in. Cars runs really well without the ICV. Not sure if you're into that, but it's doable.

Can't wait to see how it runs with the MAF, very cool!
                          What's the deal with the ICV delete? Do you just have to hold the throttle open until it warms up? Idk if i'm about that life lol, I'm usually already late enough to work in the morning

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          That looks great! Stock elbow and stock airbox means nobody will ever notice and you won’t have to make any changes on this side when it’s time to smog
                          I usually just undo the ICV and throttle body, undo the two airbox nuts and pull the whole sucker out lol. With the M30 AFM I don't like fussing with the elbow on that side. Don't want to have to heat it up again to put it back on.

Build thread

Other cars:
                          2000 Porsche Boxster
                          1972 Porsche 914

Comment

What's the deal with the ICV delete? Do you just have to hold the throttle open until it warms up? Idk if i'm about that life lol, I'm usually already late enough to work in the morning.
                            Haha I feel that.

I usually give it some revs, 1500 rpm or so, for like 10 seconds. Just to get a little oil pressure and heat through the engine. It'll start and idle without touching the throttle though. Fully warmed up I have the idle set at 700 rpm, and when its cold it'll idle at around 500. Understandable if you don't want to set it up like that, but it does work fine.

The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

Getting impatient here waiting for my MAF PCB to come in, however I understand Mr. Squid Man added some last minute features that should be worth the delay.
                              In the meantime I tried fitting my MAF to the factory airbox with reasonable success!

I used one of those AFM --> cone filter adapters you can find on Amazon or eBay, shaved the bottom of it so it would fit the factory airbox. Then a 3" silicone hose that I cut down so it would retain approximately the same length as the AFM. A little jankeddy, but it works! Now I can run either the cone filter or the factory airbox. Sweet.

Build thread

Other cars:
                              2000 Porsche Boxster
                              1972 Porsche 914

Comment

that could look factory with a little paint on the AFM adapter and more OEM looking clamps
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X