Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    hows it running with the new setup?
    Biggest difference: throttle response is vastly improved. Much more than expected. It really is much sharper.
    The sound is actually amazing too. It doesn't change the character of the motor at all, it's just much fuller and deeper but mostly at higher RPMs or when I floor it. Very satisfying.
    It runs as good as ever- maybe even better. I feel like with the MAF it will be perfect. In time..

I think I also might look into fabricating a heat shield.

In other news, I will be in So cal for the entire week and am Turo-ing a Z4M coupe. Really excited- this is the first car I've driven with the S54. Or ITBs for that matter.
    '86 Burgundrot 325 2.8 stroker.

Build thread

Other cars:
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2006 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Painted my strut bar burgundy, gotta say my engine bay is really coming together!

Mtech1 spoiler, coolant tank relocation, and eventually the MAF are incoming ;)

Build thread

Other cars:
      2000 Porsche Boxster
      1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Did you figure out anything re: the MAF setup? I haven't had a chance to mess with mine yet, and have been looking for the "perfect" overpriced intake elbow for IAT that'll fit over the MAF.
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
          Did you figure out anything re: the MAF setup? I haven't had a chance to mess with mine yet, and have been looking for the "perfect" overpriced intake elbow for IAT that'll fit over the MAF.
          No, not really. Jay from Sssquid said to send it back so he could take a look at it. I'm going to try to test it with a power supply with my coworker before I resort to that. But, I got the feeling it's busted somehow. I'm also still very confused at the AFM pins vs the MCK pinouts as per my previous post. Jay didn't seem to understand what I was saying :/

By the way, this is the elbow I used and this is how I got a port for the ICV, if that helps.

The elbow is of very high quality. The port's quality was.. good enough. ground down some bumpy welds then sent it :)

Build thread

Other cars:
          2000 Porsche Boxster
          1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
            Not sure if this is what you need, it's based on you posting that it's an AFM from a '92/93 M50
            From the ETM for a '93 E36, page 1210.13-05:
            Pin 1 Ground
            Pin 2 GR/GE to pin 41 ECU
            Pin 3 RT/WS to power
            Pin 4 SW to pin 14 ECU
            Same pinout is observed in the ETM for a '93 525i.
            In our pigtail we have:

Pin 1: Brown/Orange
            Pin 2: Gray/Yellow
            Pin 3: Red/White
            Pin 4: Black

In the MAF conversion piece:

Red - V+
            Black - Gnd
            Green - MAF Input
            Blue - IAT (no internal IAT on a 502 as far as I know)

According to the manual we have for this, the 502 pigtail functions as follows:

Pin 1: V+ (Brown/Orange)
            Pin 2: Airflow Signal (Gray/Yellow)
            Pin 3: Ground (Red/White)
            Pin 4: Ground (Black)

So effectively, we'd be doing:

Red to Brown/Orange
            Green to Gray/Yellow
            Black to Black
            Blue to Red/White (or blue not wired in at all since it's supposed to be IAT?)

But this contradicts 1210.13-05, however it's what is listed in the guide.

Also, since there is no internal IAT on the 502 we also have to desolder S2 Pins 2 and 3 in the conversion unit to use the internal IAT on the MAF Conversion Piece. Have you done that yet? This is my first chance taking a look into all of this today.

I think I'm going to give this a shot at first for an elbow despite that I don't like the added connection points: https://www.cxracing.com/KIT-BMW-E30-AI

The above elbow could also be useful, as the "back" vacuum port neither of us use, so it could easily be cut off and turned into an IAT bung if we don't want to use the internal IAT on the unit itself. (not sure on if he just wants a generic GM IAT to be wired in if we choose to use our own)

Comment

In our pigtail we have:

Pin 1: Brown/Orange
              Pin 2: Gray/Yellow
              Pin 3: Red/White
              Pin 4: Black

In the MAF conversion piece:

Red - V+
              Black - Gnd
              Green - MAF Input
              Blue - IAT (no internal IAT on a 502 as far as I know)

According to the manual we have for this, the 502 pigtail functions as follows:

Pin 1: V+ (Brown/Orange)
              Pin 2: Airflow Signal (Gray/Yellow)
              Pin 3: Ground (Red/White)
              Pin 4: Ground (Black)

So effectively, we'd be doing:

Red to Brown/Orange
              Green to Gray/Yellow
              Black to Black
              Blue to Red/White (or blue not wired in at all since it's supposed to be IAT?)
              This would have been super useful, however my current problem is I can't even get the MAF conversion to power on, no matter what I try. Those are the exact wires for my pigtail also, though. So if I ever get the MCK to power on, that will be the next step.

Hmm... internal IAT? Why would you have to desolder? Can't you just, like, not connect it? A little confused on that part. I didn't think we had to do an aftermarket IAT.

Build thread

Other cars:
              2000 Porsche Boxster
              1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Originally posted by betz View Post
                This would have been super useful, however my current problem is I can't even get the MAF conversion to power on, no matter what I try. Those are the exact wires for my pigtail also, though. So if I ever get the MCK to power on, that will be the next step.

Hmm... internal IAT? Why would you have to desolder? Can't you just, like, not connect it? A little confused on that part. I didn't think we had to do an aftermarket IAT.
                The 502 MAF doesn't have an internal IAT, so we either need to wire in our own IAT or use the internal IAT in the MAF conversion box, however to "turn that on" those two pins I mentioned need to be desoldered. I haven't opened up the box yet to see what that entails. I'm fairly certain it needs an IAT signal for the whole setup to operate properly, but I could be wrong on that.

Comment

Good news!

Hooked up the MCK to a 5V power supply and got it to power on. Maybe I can get this thing working! Unfortunately I will have to put it on hold somewhat, I'm studying for the P.E. exam which will be on the 26th.

Build thread

Other cars:
                  2000 Porsche Boxster
                  1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Nice! I spoke with Jay- both of our units have the internal IAT already activated. Also, that wiring that I posted above is correct, according to Jay. He said it didn't match the schematic, as that schematic was for an 011 MAF.

Comment

Nice! I spoke with Jay- both of our units have the internal IAT already activated. Also, that wiring that I posted above is correct, according to Jay. He said it didn't match the schematic, as that schematic was for an 011 MAF.
                      So, do we need to do any re-wiring?

Build thread

Other cars:
                      2000 Porsche Boxster
                      1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Originally posted by betz View Post
                        So, do we need to do any re-wiring?
                        Nope, the board should be good to go. Just wire it per the booklet, he set us up for no IAT ahead of time since he knew we were both using the 502.

Comment

So, this happened... lol

I have a legit fleet now

Build thread

Other cars:
                          2000 Porsche Boxster
                          1972 Porsche 914

Comment

I feel like you are just doing stuff to make me jealous... what are the plans for the 914? Are you on 914world yet? Great group there
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

holy moly what a fleet indeed.
                              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                I feel like you are just doing stuff to make me jealous... what are the plans for the 914? Are you on 914world yet? Great group there
                                Hahah, I just saw it, price was very right, rust was minimal and I've always liked the 914 and always wanted a smog exempt car. I did just join 914world.

Plans... first, get it running. Shouldn't be too hard. Then.. decide if I like the motor. If yes, then probably a hotted up type 4 motor with dual webers. If no, then I think I'll swap a Subaru EJ motor into it.

Between then, I want to get it looking prettier... I think this will be the hardest part by far.

Build thread

Other cars:
                                2000 Porsche Boxster
                                1972 Porsche 914

Comment

Working...
                                X